1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping on the bandwagon: Ask a Homosexual

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by croxis, Dec 17, 2006.

1. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Ah...you may be suprised there Sidhe. Being in the military, I dont get many of the rights and freedoms a lot of you do on the street. I cant say "no" to a lot of things my employer wishes of me...nor do I have any avenue to complain. I am expected to comply, with no question, my employers orders and if I dont, I can be punished legally via fines or possibly even jail time. If my boss tells me to clean the toilet and I tell him to piss off I could face jail time or significant fines as opposed to a minimal written reprimand.

Also, considering the separation between common enlisted personnel and commissioned officers, it can very much be felt as a master/slave or the haves vs the have-nots...and thus be a second class citizen. If you get pulled aside after a 17 hour flight just to unload all the officers luggage while they head to their rooms tell me you wouldnt feel 2nd class.

But, as with all feelings...you make a personal choice to feel that way. YOU choose to feel 2nd class....not other people. I may have been forced to do menial tasks for my superiors, but I refused to feel second class. That earned me respect.

Its all about attitude and choice. Again, no one makes you a second class person....you choose to be one.

2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Because one day you could, through merit, become the boss, whereas croxis, to whom I've been an old fan since I started posting here, can hope for tenous equality at best.

3. MobBoss

I fail to see any reason why Croxis couldnt be his own boss in his own right. Such things as hard work, talent and perserverance still pay off regardless of your sexuality.

4. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Sigh given the RECENT events of both MARK FOLEY SCANDLE and TED HAGGARD its amazing that some people still insist on this line of attack.

5. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Infact the Bible says divorce is just as wrong as homosexuality.
    But not all religions are the same and that is a personal choice, which has nothing to do with being 'normal'.
    Tha is Genetic, so you need to show that Homosexuality is just like this.

Actually if things where the way there would be limited uses for all these. First of there would be less babies born out of wedlock if people were to wait until marriage before having sex, so actually there would be less of a need.

Considering that I am single right now, it would be hypocritical of me to adopt a child considering my stance on this issue, but if I were married and me and my wife were not able to concieve, then I would be looking in ways to adopt a child and raise him/her as our own.

So far you have not givn me any reasoning as to why they should be equal relationships, not because you consider it to be. That is what I am really looking for.

6. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

:lol:Please show that left-handedness is genetic and (using the same criteria) show that homosexuality is not! :mwaha: If you want a clue on how to do it; you should know ahead of time that you have to apply double-standards and different defintions - so break out the spin-guidebook.

Anyway, I gave three examples for you to find a common thread, not to point out that they're different. If you were to use a similar demand "show that horses are similar to dogs" and I said:
    -they both have legs
    -they both have fur
    -they both have warm blood

It would be disingenuous to point out that horses have hooves, the hairs are composed of different protein curls, and that their body temperatures are different.

Look for the common thread in my three examples; that's why I gave them.

Oh, and feel free to commonly ask as to why divorced people should be allowed to get married again. And to avoid hypocrisy, object to remarriage every time you object to gay marriage.

7. MamboJoel

MamboJoel Cool.

Sorry if this is rude, but in fact, this argument would explain a lot of the kind of disdain you have towards some other sub classes in a psychological point of view...

Off topic : in the US military is there any way of promoting to lieutenant when sergeant ?

8. El_Machinae

And, like a homosexual, Mobboss risks getting punched in the face because it's not easy to tell an officer from an NCO and some people punch when they are asked.

Wait ...

9. Hygro

I leave for one year and I get replaced by Mobboss and El_Machinae :lol: I love this place (no joke). It's a good addition to the community's collective voice.

ok croxis, here's a personal question since I know it depends on the invidual. How do you feel that your own movement towards acceptance is directly tied to the rest of the "queer" community such as post-surgery transexuals or what have you? Does your desire for social freedom and it coming from a sexual discrimination make you feel camraderie which such other members of the umbrella-queer community or do you wish you wouldn't be so closely associated so that you wouldn't be tied to a harder to accept (from the mainstream) group like transexuals?

10. El_Machinae

Shush; nobody knows that us three are a wicked case of Multiple Personality Disorder ...
    edit: you left the dishes for me again, you bastard.

11. Yeeek

Yeeek Seizing The Day

No one awnswered my question!

12. Veritass

Veritass Emperor

Croxis, has being openly homosexual affected your choice of church and/or your relationship with God? For example, I belong to a Religious Science church, and we have a slightly higher-than-average percentage of gay members. We are very accepting, and have many members who have been "cast out" of other churches.

13. MobBoss

Yes, you can become an officer from being an NCO in a couple of different ways. Via Officer Candidate School or via leaving the service and then going through ROTC in college.

And by all means, please explain my disdain to 'subclasses' and exactly what you mean by that. I dont disdain 'homosexuals' or other people in general...I do however expect people to live with the choices they make in life.

And like usual, you totally missed my point. Officers may not punch me, but they can order me to do seemingly unfair and menial things and I have to do it. At least if a stranger punches you, you have legal recourse...I dont.

Life isnt fair....but proclaiming yourself a second class citizen certainly doesnt make it any easier.

14. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

croxis: What homosexual "heroes" do you look up to, if any?

15. El_Machinae

I nominate this question for having the greatest potential for hilarity!

16. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
  17. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

So lets legislate so its even less fair?

But you chose to be in the Army. You knew exactly what your position would be as a NCO.

Croxis is telling you he didn't choose to be attracted to men.

18. MobBoss

I fail to see where clarifying the meaning of a word makes anything less fair.

I have my own opinion on how that occurs, but lets just say you are right. My counter to that is just like some people are attracted to stealing, or alcohol, doesnt mean they have to act upon their 'attractions' and indeed I have no doubt there are many who suppress such urges so they can have a wife and kids. That the desire for a family is greater than the desire to engage in that type of behavior.

Ergo, I may be attracted to women....it doesnt mean I have to act on that attraction, nor is it always a good idea to.

We are not animals, doomed and trapped by our urges. We have minds. And we can control ourselves. Or at least we should control our choices in life and weigh them against one another. My opinion only.

19. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

Well I guess thats were we have to agree to disagree.

I think theres a big difference between stopping yourself from commiting crimes or becoming an alcoholic than having a consenual relationship with a man.

20. Hygro

But it does allow those who care about you know that they can help you, instead of simply assuming

I see where you are going, though. Self empowerment is hugely important for success regardless of one's circumstance, and seeing oneself as a victim creates victimhood. However one can believe he is just as capable and important and destined for success and still acknoweldge he is a second class citizen. Such recognition can be empowering too if used as a productive tool. I love the old positive thinking, pull-myslf-from-me-bootstraps, but lets remember we can give one another a loving hand as well, in numorous different mediums.