1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping on the bandwagon: Ask a Homosexual

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by croxis, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Yeeek

Yeeek Seizing The Day

2. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Have you ever fantasized about male clebreties, in spite of knowing that they're heteros?

3. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    With all due respect, I would hardly say that having people stare at you when you are not looking makes you a second-class citizen. I look longer than normal at anything unusual or out of the ordinary, although I shoukd point out that girls holding hands is quite common in some parts.

That doesn't mean there aren't other issues, though.

4. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Ah..no..its being aware of the situation and taking steps to avoid issues.

5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

You should be looking more for the contempt, disdain, and disgust on their features.

6. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

How hard is it for you to find a gay partner?

7. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

Do you view it as a positive or negative thing that gays are grouped with bisexuals, trans, etc.? Sort of like how when Latinos are fighting for their civil rights they always have to phrase it in terms of the Black c.r. movement, or how when Buddhists and Hindus want something under the 1st amendment they have to prove that Catholics and Jews got the same treatment.

EDIT: and you're also grouped with BDSM a lot for some reason.

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

And if that issue you are avoiding is not losing your government job for pretty meaningless activity on your own time, then that upgrades your situational awareness to 2nd class citizenry.

9. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    I don't know, I wouldn't let that bother me, if anyone is enough of an idiot to get all bent out of shape over that, let them be the ones who have to deal with it. If they are willing to get upset, that is their problem. It is those I interact with daily who would concern me more.

Another question, this one about group dynamics. Most social groups can be divided up, with members of one part seeking to get with members of the other part, but not with their own. But in your case, those who are potential romantic partners are also potential romantic rivals, as well. Does this have any noticeable effect? Also, is the prospect of romance an issue with your best friends? Most men have one or two really good male friends to whom they can complain about girlfriends and whatnot, but how does that work in social groups of gay men?

10. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I'd suspect female friends can play that part for gay men.

@croxis: Interesting thread. :thumbsup:

11. croxis

croxis Chat room op

LOL.

No.

I liked mom more when I was younger, but I am now closer to my dad. My dad use to the the disciplinarian and mom was the soft comforting sort. I was spanked a few times. Mind you I did and do love them both dearly. Both my parents were always together.

There are quite a few pleasure nerve endings in that area. Obviously if it didn't feel good to poo then we wouldn't do it so much. For males the prostate is known as "the male g spot." I... wont go into any more details.

12. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Sorry. @ Xannick. you have to take that laughing smiley out of your sig. Every time I see it it looks like you're laughing at somone.

And a question. How do you feel now that you've come out of the closet?

13. croxis

croxis Chat room op

ohhh yes. pretty things are pretty regardless.

Bisexuality is a sexual orientation so that grouping makes sense, but as I mentioned, while I feel the others are valid causes and share some similarities, they are quite different. There is nothing wrong with comparing similarities and differences between groups, but to iconify them into one construct is a large error.

It isn't just one person every now and then. It is AT least one, if not more, all the time, day in and day out. That judgmental look and the stare of hate. Just by holding a hand. You may see a good number of same sex people holding hands, but it IS a very different experience when you do it yourself. Sounds like only one person has done it before.

It is hard to talk about group dynamics. Obviously a lot depends on the group. Most cases I see it is still people seeking out those not in their group. In a good number of cases the groups are formed from having all dated each other at one point.

The tendency is to have dynamics closer to that found in hetero women, but this isn't always the case. Being the shy sort I keep few but close friends anyway and only complain to perhaps a couple people. It would be interesting to see how strong of a relationship this is to how masculine/effeminate the person behaves.

It has been over four years now. I am quite sure I am much more happy now than I would have been if I was in the closet still. The road out was rocky and bumpy but it was worth it.

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Do you believe that very vocal homophobes are just suppressed homosexuals or bis?

How did you came to terms with your sexuality?

15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Forgive me if this was already brought up (only read 1st eighty posts or so) but I was wondering - do most gay males identify as either being effeminante or being super masculine.

In other words, in a relationship does one partner take on more of the manly role and one more of the womanly role?

Edit : Another somewhat odd question : Do you imagine you enjoy masturbation more than straight males because of your appreciation for the male body (including yourself)? Do you find it strange that straight men & women can appreciate themselves sexually but not others of the same sex?

16. TheLoneMan

TheLoneMan The Original Reindeer

How do you feel about the way the American culture has evolved in regards to homosexuality?

Why do you think it is that other cultures, say, Japan, are much, much, much more open about and accepting of homosexuality?

One obvious answer is religion... in that case, why do you think it is that Christianity has evolved in such a way that homosexuality is 'sinful'?

17. El_Machinae

Kinda; I've done the 'acting like a couple' thing with a male friend, and certainly noticed the tension it caused around us. I was never able to do the 'trailing' thing I recommend with two guys; but my wife has done the 'acting like a couple' with her girlfriend and I was able to trail to observe. Of course, I don't have full data, but I suspect that the girl-couple is treated differently; not just because of their looks but because hetero-females are more affectionate with each other in public already.

Two guys holding hands are deemed to be gay; two girls holding hands might be gay.

18. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

The simple act of holding a guy's hand goes against years of social conditioning I guess. I don't think I could pull it off and feel comfortable about it. And I don't think of myself as being a homophobe.

Is that really just me?

19. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Does bisexuality turn you off?

20. El_Machinae

I guess you just have to just trust your relationship with your guy friend, though I don't really understand the distress. My friends are not adverse to me touching them with their permission (shaking hands, etc.), it's merely a matter of gaining permission and engaging in a social experiment, no?