1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping to Emporer

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Allanc, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Allanc

Allanc Chieftain

Ok,,

I can beat the game on monarch say 9/10 times, including bad starts, isolation etc. Anyway, Monarch is no longer much of a challenge to me, So im trying to move up to Emporer but Im struggling.

ive played a few games on emporer, pangea/continents normal settings, standard map. I can pretty much keep up militarily and I can usually thrash a few opponents to keep up with the initial tech race, but I can ever keep it up. This is mainly because I divert to much into the military in order to survive and I then dont develop my cities and therefore have a shocking time in the tech race. I then struggle along until the comp has a love affair with Musketmen and I loose.

Does anyone have any good tips for surviving on emporer level?

2. wxwindmill

wxwindmill Prince

3. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

It is hard to know what is going wrong. Are these all decent starts? What types of civs? By that I mean are they using ancient age UU's? IOW are you getting a despotic GA?

Is this C3. PTW or C3C? Are you making wonders in the AA or not? Which ones, if any? Do you trade and get fairly early contacts? I mean so many factors could be involved, we are just shooting in the dark.

Emperor is a level that can require fewer mistake than some are use to making. I am thinking of not getting more form your start and your land. You do ot have to play flawlessly or micromanged to the nth degree, but a bit tighter management is useful.

4. Allanc

Allanc Chieftain

Ok, more details.

I play conquests.
    The civs I have tried are Babs, Germans, mongols :rolleyes: and Celts.
    So 2 good cultural civs and 2 military civs.

I get early contacts and trade but I struggle to Keep up tech wise.
    I try and make at least one wonder in AA but I usually dont get the one I want, end up with hnaging gardens or mausauleam instead of GL or ToA.
    I usually try for a GL leap but i rarely get it, even though im usually the first to philly and then lit. I tend to oly get GL if I get a science leader or I pre build and sacrifice military.
    The starts are usually pretty decent. I reload until I have a green area with a few bonuses. (I keep going whatever on Monarch)

I think the problam is that to keep up with the AI in one area( say militarily) I must sacrifice culture and a solid core area of 5 or so cities.

Hope that helps

5. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Allanc

"The civs I have tried are Babs, Germans, mongols :rolleyes: and Celts.
    So 2 good cultural civs and 2 military civs."

Well I do not like the Mongols for a std game and I dislike any cultural civ, especially Babs and Cleo. They have a religious trait and I find it weak. I dislike science triat as well, but it is not bad. Both have a very early UU. It is not hard to trigger an early GA, either with combat or a wonder.

Germans are not bad, but a very late UU and again science is not my fav. The Celts can be very strong, but you want to be a warmongger IMO or better yet play them in an AW or a higher level. I just do not want to play them in a straight up emperor game, because I do not need that UU. Again they are also Rel, yuck.

I do not build cath, do not switch govs and do not build that many temples, until I am rolling over someone. So what can I get out of Rel trait? Half price for temples is not awful, but I just do not lose sleep of over saving 30 shields on them. At least a Science civ get half price for libs and a free tech, not a bad thing.

"I get early contacts and trade but I struggle to Keep up tech wise.
    I try and make at least one wonder in AA but I usually dont get the one I want, end up with hnaging gardens or mausauleam instead of GL or ToA."

Ok this indicats either a lessor start or a malfunction. I routinely mange to build the GLB on Sid, so emperor is a given. That is if you want it and you probably will. Emp and Sid are the best places to have the GLB in my mind. DG is often to short lived.

On emperor you do not have to even start with Alpha to get it. You do have to get your wonder city up to at least size 10 asap.

"I usually try for a GL leap but i rarely get it, even though im usually the first to philly and then lit. I tend to oly get GL if I get a science leader or I pre build and sacrifice military."

The AI will normally not even do Lit until it has at least MM, so you have plenty of time and do not even need a prebuild. I in fact do not have more than 3 turns pre on sid and get it.

On Emp you merely need to get your city up speed. The boost the AI gets means it will not be making more shields in that town than you. They often will be trying it in a smallish city.

What I will do is to be at say size 7 when Lit comes in, mabe larger. Anyway I then peel off 3 to 5 workers to do any mining and or irrigating that is need to be able to work 12 tiles and hopefully one or two high shields ones. That is to say a hill and a mountain.

Super if one or more have a resource on them. So as the workers finish their tile, they are added to the city. Soon I have up to 12 pop all working.

Sometimes, you cannot get that large, due to lack of luxs, then you get as big as you can manage. It is almost a sure bet that even at size 9 you will be far better than the AI city. You will have a bit of a head start and if you fail to be first and no Leader is involved, I would be dumb founded.

At Deity or Sid I will probably need to start will alpha or get it or writing some place to be able to pull it off. Otherwise I need a big pre going. If I have Alpha, I won't usually be able to get much of a pre as I do not have Mason and other wonders won't work.

I never build HG or MoM or ToA, even if I could. Just do not want to run into any wonder triggering GA's.

"The starts are usually pretty decent. I reload until I have a green area with a few bonuses. (I keep going whatever on Monarch)"

I think it is fine when one starts a new level to use decent starts, until you are comfortable with that level. That is not the same as using a tool and looking for super locations with 3 cows and 3 lux or some such.

A river and green is fair, in fact it is probably about 50/50 anyway.

"I think the problam is that to keep up with the AI in one area( say militarily) I must sacrifice culture and a solid core area of 5 or so cities."

Yes that is an issue when you get to the middle ages and the AI has met each other. That is why I do not see much value in culture. At Sid, you have no chance to match culture, so I do not even consider it.

I think you can first try to get your fair share of land and then build up some core cities and then start getting your military stronger. Being able to know how much and when to make troops is an important skill at Emp.

You probably need to start annexing land from your neighbors about the time expansion slows way down. Then spreading out, safely, by taking down someone in the middle ages.

This is where you like to have a good UU. Riders are great of course for this timing. China has great traits for that strategy, Ind and Mil. I like France as well for Ind and Comm and starting with Alpha.

France can control when to get a GA so very nicely as their UU can be avoided or used. You can make most any wonder with no issues. I often trigger with Hoovers as the French. That is just so strong.

I like very early GA's in tough games like AWDG on pangea or Deity on pangea or any game where I may not survive without the boost. I do not care for it otherwiise.

6. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Emperor is where you start running into issues.

It starts being important to know what your opponents are going to research - it's not terribly uncommon to get into the MA behind in tech on Emperor and up. At this level, the AI gets production bonuses + extra units + less anarchy when revolting + they trade cheaply amongst themselves.

Things like the republic slingshot become important, at least in conquests.

Knowing that in the middle ages, if they AI has Engineering and Feudalism, they will inevitably go invention/gunpowder and let you go theology/education can give you techs to trade.

Prebuilds for wonders start being more important.

And try an agricultural civ - my best emp win was with the iroquois - on emp, the iroquois can expand with anyone ;)

Also - try an emp game where you build *no* ancient age wonders and no temples/cathedrals in the ancient age. You will have to manage happiness with the lux slider, by hooking up luxuries, by adding marketplaces and by trading for luxes.

You might end up late into the Middle ages, but you may well end up the tech leader at the end of the middle ages, having built all the Middle age wonders you might want. Except for those pesky scientific civs ;)

7. Allanc

Allanc Chieftain

Ok thanks for the tips.
    Im gonna try with iroqious and see what happens.

8. handy900

handy900 Deity

Mainly you just need to check cities more often to make sure you are maximizing shields and food. Micro manage decently and you will win.