Jumpmasters 1A: (Buying) a Stairway to Heaven - C3C 1.22, Emperor

mtgfreak said:
btw, ill be gone for 2 weeks at the end of july for a holiday
Noted.

Can you post a reminder a week or so before you leave to jog everyone's memory? :)

Ted

MB has posted the save files & I've linked to ours in the first post.

Take it away Tinkez [dance] [dance] [dance]

BTW we're playing as England :banana:

Ted

Just thinking out loud here:

England: Seafaring and Commercial. Know Alphabet and Pottery. Alphabet is the most valuable of the first column knoweldge, pottery is one of the least valuable.

Suggest we open with a seafarer's gambit. Two or three curraghs immediately and start boxing the compass.

Opening moves: water the cattle, then move to the BG NW of the cattle, mine, then move without roading to the next BG, as I think if we road then move through London to the other BG we lose the movement crossing the river entering the city, so it would be 2 moves to the other BG however we do it, then mine and road the BG to the NE, then road across the north side of the river connecting the improved terrain. The terrain is riverine so we retain the commercial bonus.

After the curraghs are built the next call would be granary or settler.....I'm never satisfied with how I handle that one.

The opening site is admirably defensible, but we will have to post troops outside the city because of the river until Engineering.

This looks like great fun...

Checking in - had no idea this thread existed because I usually visit my SGs via the control pane (subscribed thread) :lol:.

Bede said:
Suggest we open with a seafarer's gambit. Two or three curraghs immediately and start boxing the compass.
I agree, on the whole, although it will depend on part what the Worker reveals when he moves to the Cow and the contents of the Goody Hut. If the Worker move leaves us settling on the spot then if the GH doesn't pop a Warrior I would suggest that we pop a Warrior in as our second build - we don't want to get caught with our pants down this early, do we?

Bede said:
Opening moves: water the cattle, then move to the BG NW of the cattle, mine, then move without roading to the next BG, as I think if we road then move through London to the other BG we lose the movement crossing the river entering the city, so it would be 2 moves to the other BG however we do it, then mine and road the BG to the NE, then road across the north side of the river connecting the improved terrain. The terrain is riverine so we retain the commercial bonus.
Again, I'm with you in principle. It just depends on what (if anything) the Worker move reveals.

Bede said:
After the curraghs are built the next call would be granary or settler.....I'm never satisfied with how I handle that one.
To soon to say... let's see what else mad-bax has prepared for us :)

Bede said:
The opening site is admirably defensible, but we will have to post troops outside the city because of the river until Engineering.
Just reminding everyone the barbs are set to Raging so we'll probably want a fairly close build pattern early on.

Bede said:
This looks like great fun...
Couldn't agree more :)

Smellincoffee said:
Checking in
Welcome aboard Smellincoffee...

Ted

Welcome SC (do you prefer Smellincoffee, Coffee, or SC? :) )

Not much to add to the start ideas - the worker move dictates it all! I'm sure Tinkez can cope, though... ;)

Since we have raging barbarians, and "areas of regionally intense barbarian activity" whatever that means ( :evil: ) it may be an idea to consider having a second city as a unit pump, and not to go purely "paper cutout" - maybe mix in spears for city defence. In C3C, I find there is a tendency to build up a large treasury early on whilst doing a 50 turn gambit (this will be more true than ever using England, seafaring and commercial!!) - and personally I find nothing more infuriating than seeing a troupe of woolly-backed sheep-botherers traipsing through a border town carrying off all my hard-earned!

Just a thought ;)

Tal

Welcome SC (do you prefer Smellincoffee, Coffee, or SC? )

Ever since I began using this name, people invariably call me one of those. I like SC, but you can type "Smellincoffee" out if you want. Just don't misspell it or insert in punctuation. :lol:

Tallanas said:
Since we have raging barbarians, and "areas of regionally intense barbarian activity" whatever that means ( :evil: )
I think you'll find that mad-bax has (over) populated some of the (nearby) islands with barb camps :eek:

Tallanas said:
it may be an idea to consider having a second city as a unit pump, and not to go purely "paper cutout" - maybe mix in spears for city defence.
I'm sure we'll build up our Military quite quickly. After all, the only ways we can gain techs are: GH popping, trade or gouging it out of our enemies - and everyone's our enemy, right? :D

Tallanas said:
In C3C, I find there is a tendency to build up a large treasury early on whilst doing a 50 turn gambit (this will be more true than ever using England, seafaring and commercial!!) - and personally I find nothing more infuriating than seeing a troupe of woolly-backed sheep-botherers traipsing through a border town carrying off all my hard-earned!
Sometimes letting the barbs sack a town is the sensible way to disperse them, providing you've emptied the treasury first ;) This is particularly true with the "End of Era" uprisings.

Ted

Hmm, clearly my last post totally neglected the fact that we are on "no research"... :blush:

Having said that, the treasury will indeed be massive ;)

Tinkez, have you picked up the save?

Ted

No worries,

Wasn't sure if you were aware that the save was available :)

Ted

4000BC:Move worker to cattle, reveal BG in S, nothing else. Settle on the spot. GH gives us maps. See 2 more GH's nearby and a wheat in S. Decide on build order based on this: curragh and then warrior. Set research to zero, net gain +5gpt
3750BC:Worker has irrigated the cow, move to NW to BG. Growth in 1.
3700BC:London grows, lux slider to 10%
IBT:London Curragh - warrior
3650BC:Curragh moves E, sees barb camp on the next isle - How surprising. I'm certainly going to build that warrior. On the barb isle there's also wines and a GH.
3600BC:Curragh spots that there are 2 wines on the next island.
3550BC:See one more GH. Total number is now 4.
IBT:Borders expand.
3500BC:I'm afraid that the curragh will be trapped between these isles...
IBT:London warrior -> curragh, london grows to 3.
3450BC:Warrior exploring, lux slider to 30%. Curragh sees gems S of London on the same island.
3400BC:Worker finished mining the BG, move to next BG. Warrior sees Incense W of London, nice :)
3350BC:pop a GH, get warrior.
IBT:Curragh -> granary
3300-3250BC:Exploring.
IBT:London grows to 4.
3200BC:Lux to 40%. We need a MP to London.
3150BC:Curragh2 meets Scandinavia E of London. They have wC and wines hooked up. He does not want to trade (92gp+4gpt is not enough)
3100BC:pop a GH -> 3 angry warriors :(
IBT:Barb attacks, no damage to us, promotes to a vet. Vikings found Bergen.
3050BC:Kill second barb
3000BC:Nada. Ragnarok is annoyed, doesn't want to sell BW nor WC.

That's it. Next one to go.

London will grow next turn, remember to check lux slider! There is nice settler factory number two S of London (2 wheats by a river). London will build granary in 4 turns, next settler in my opinion.

Our starting island needs exploring, but there are 2 warrior doing that. London needs military police, maybe it's worth moving the conscript warrior to London, so we can set lux slider down?

The curragh near Vikings is going southwards, the other one far south should continue exploring southwards also.

Good luck to the next player!

Save is <here>

-Tinkez

Nice start - looks even more interesing!

"Got it"

Looks like mad-bax has given us a nice start :)

I'm surprised to find improved but un-roaded tiles around London. Apart from that everything seems to be coming along nicely.

Here's my first cut at a dotmap:

Rather than settling where Tinkez suggests I think a better long term plan would be Blue then Green followed by Yellow. Blue only captures 1 Wheat before expansion but would allow Green, on the River and Coastal, so will be powerful in the future. Yellow will net our first lux (Incense) and Grey is Coastal.

The above is dependent on what is hidden at Red. If something special is revealed then we'll have to rethink.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

BTW Research needs to be switched away from Writing, just in case we strike lucky with a GH.

Ted

TedJackson said:
I'm surprised to find improved but un-roaded tiles around London. Apart from that everything seems to be coming along nicely.
Those tiles are unroaded because I was aiming to improve the tiles faster to get more shields to get us a granary faster. The worker is currently building a road on the mined BG. Then he should go back to cow and road that. As we are not doing any research, I thought that the shields are more important than a bit more commerce from roads.
TedJackson said:
Rather than settling where Tinkez suggests I think a better long term plan would be Blue then Green followed by Yellow. Blue only captures 1 Wheat before expansion but would allow Green, on the River and Coastal, so will be powerful in the future. Yellow will net our first lux (Incense) and Grey is Coastal.
Good plan Ted.
TedJackson said:
BTW Research needs to be switched away from Writing, just in case we strike lucky with a GH.
I forgot that you can't get the tech you're "researching" from a GH. Switch the research path to something else.

-Tinkez

Pre-flight didn't take long ;) Said "Hi" to Bill and Ben, our two warriors, and that's about it...

IBT - nothing...

Turn 1 - 2950

The southern curragh discovers an Arab scout - they are already annoyed with us :) They know BW and CB, not Alphabet, and have 10 gold... Like the Vikings, they won't even go for 108g and 4 gpt...

I attack the barbarian fortified on the mountain - otherwise, our warrior will never be able to explore. We win and promote :)

IBT - Fantastic news... Both the Vikings and the Arabs have Alphabet. I think they both must have been researching it, hence the crappy prices they were prepared to pay for it...

Turn 2 - 2900

Exploring

IBT - nothing

Turn 3 - 2850

London Granary>Settler; more exploring - the big "barbarian island" looks uninhabited by Ai civs, and has been circumnavigated - plenty of resources there, spices and lots of wines... Must be a settling/military priority.

IBT - nothing

Turn 4 - 2800

Exploring.

IBT - nothing

Turn 5 - 2750

As above...

IBT - nothing

Turn 6 - 2710

Exploring...

IBT - nothing

Turn 7 - 2670

Eploring - London to size 6, 3 happy 3 sad, settler next turn... Only bronze working available from the AIs, for all our economy. No thanks. Wish we ahd used alphabet early now...

IBT - nothing

Turn 8 - 2630

London settler>warrior; meet the Dutch, in exactly the same place as the Arabs (a curragh is back-tracking...) so they must be neighbours. He will sell us CB for 130 gold, but what's the point? Won't help us now, so might as well wait.

Other curragh uncovers Red borders, the annoyed Babylonians. They have BW, CB and WC, but *neither* of our techs... At last, a trade opportunity. Since everyone we know except the Babs have Alphabet already (and therefore can build curraghs and get contact), I trade Hammurabi Alphabet and 2 gold for BW, CB and WC. I feel we did ok out of that trade...

Our island looks rather, umm, small.

IBT - Arabia develops masonry, and lacks our WC... WC plus our economy is not enough for the monopoly price on Masonry...

Turn 9 - 2590

We have one tech on all our neighbours - Arabia has Masonry on us...

IBT - nothing

Turn 10 - 2550

London warrior>settler; note that the governor here keeps trying to use the mountain tile... :rolleyes:

Going with Ted's outline dotmap, the settler moves to the blue site. Green will be nice, red is not a special resource, so blue and green will do. Grey has two whales in its expanded border, yellow is looking good too!

Goody hut pops 3 angry Vandals - sorry!

And that's a wrap.

Good - alone on our island, but made lots of contacts; curraghs exploring well.
Bad - tech trading not brilliant, although a recovery was made.
Ugly - lots and lots of nasty barbarians...

The world, zoomed out :)

Attachments

• scoutXworld2550.JPG
    scoutXworld2550.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 310
Sorry for the treble post :mischief:

I just noticed that after I acquired CB, the research path was set back from CB to writing - I missed that, which was careless, so would the next player (Bede!) take care of that please? :)

Tal

Edit - next plans. I forgot to write up something specific about what next, as it's fairly obvious - the curraghs are exploring into the blackness, one is even managing to explore 2 coasts simultaneously... The settler is in place now, so can plonk down, and the conscript can panic at the thought of being gang-banged by angry vandals ;)

Also, a new curragh is needed to explore in this direction...

Edit 2 - since there are no Arab or Dutch borders visible, I thought I would point out where these guys are... The orange and pink dots indicate where I met the Dutch and Arabs. The red dots are barb camps on the barbarian isle next to our homeland...

Top Bottom