Jumpmasters 1A: (Buying) a Stairway to Heaven - C3C 1.22, Emperor

I refuse to edit the above post again, so you guys can just laugh at my 4-posts-in-a-row nonsense :)

One final point - after Brother Bede's turns, we should have a full map of our home island. At that point, we should discuss exactly where we are going to settle, since we will need to make maximum use of it. We can even have a dotmap competition!

I am looking at it at the moment, and can see it holding at least a dozen cities, so it's not panic stations yet ;) After those dozen though, we will need map making asap!

Nice job Tallanas. Any time you can get a three-fer, or was it a four-fer, and get to parity with shirty neighbors you have a break through.

Your experience points out once more the value of rapid exploration and contact. Each contact made reduces the cost of tech to you but if the counter parties don't know each other the value of your knowledge remains high.

Thinking long term I would like to propose this strategy for our research trading. With eight nations on the map (and I think this one has a few more), buying at third or fourth and selling at fifth, sixth and seventh will net us the highest return, if it is done consistently and thoroughly. An analysis of the national traits will show us who our best partners are. We should feed the scientific nations gpt to keep them moving forward and deny to, or take gpt from, the others to keep the overall pace reasonable.

The resource and luxury distribution in C3C is another important factor but that discussion can be held when applicable.

So, MB, do I qualify for the filibuster "got-it" award yet?

Oh, yeah, got it!

I am going to leave the urban planning to others as I need to learn how to do that...

Three new contacts? That's great news :thumbsup:

I'll have a look at the save this morning.

@mtgfreak: thanks for the "heads up", shouldn't be a problem.

Ted

I've had a look at the save and we still seem to be in a good position. :thumbusp: Tal

We have 2 native lux visible so far (Incense & Gems) and can see 2 more on the island to our East (Spices & Wines).

We'll need another Curragh or two to speed up exploration and some Spears and Archers for barb patrols. I'd be inclined to keep London producing Settlers with a Curragh, Spear or Archer between each Settler to keep the pop up.

Warrior then Worker would be my priorities for our new town. With 5 BG in the first ring we'll be wanting to improve this site as quickly as possible. I'd even stretch my neck out and suggest a Temple as 3rd build to capture the 2nd Wheat. Obviously circumstances might preclude it but it's not a bad goal.

I see nothing to change our settlement pattern from Blue, Green then Yellow. We can't see quite enough of the West to decide on where to go after that. Settling along the river to the NW of London is possible (Purple) then Grey (to complete our first ring). However, we might find something in the West to change our minds :)

BTW we can reduce lux to 30% and research should be switched away from Writing again.

Ted

Has anyone else noticed the unusually large number of gold or gems, and the general trade rich river island we have? And on a no research variant!! Bah!

Oh to be the Byzantines in a "whoever get most Scientific Leaders wins" variant ;)

Edit - sorry about the lux rate :rolleyes:

Tallanas said:
Has anyone else noticed the unusually large number of gold or gems, and the general trade rich river island we have? And on a no research variant!! Bah!
:cooool: :banana: :bounce: :D

And, thanks for the map, Ted

Here's another map, with the explored bits added. It's done with the following ideas in mind - as little overlap as possible (can't remember what the OCP calculation for this map will be...), so each city is as strong as it can be; as many coastal cities as possible.

The red city is shown on a river/coastal square - this would be nice, but for the sake of an aqueduct, one square to the right (as shown by the arrow) might be better - depending on what else we discover in that area, of course.

The dark pink dots are other possibles, depending on map clearance and volcano activity ;)

Anyway, it's mainly for discussion purposes...

Attachments

• Blighty!.JPG
    Blighty!.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 306
Nice map Tal,

On the subject of overlap: in general I'd base any settlement plan on fresh water & resources rather than a strict grid - as we're Seafaring then Coastal cities are a bonus. An obvious example of when I'd overlap (or not) is the positioning of Red (your map) which I'd nearly always place on the river even though it means missing the Fish :)

@mtgfreak: we've certainly got the terrain for Iron, we'll just have to wait & see ;)

Ted

What's the OCN likely to be on this map, by the way? initial thoughts would seem to suggest a FP build on the next island, since that way we can get two productive homelands...

Ted, I agree about Red :) Its current site is very attractive. I just don't like missing bonus resources! I must be pathologically mean or something... Mind you, as bonus resources go, Fish are the worst by a long, long way!

It will depend on how MB setup the map...

OCN is normally 20 for standard sized maps and 28 for large. So we could hope to split the difference at 24.

The only way we'll actually know is by when the Forbidden Palace becomes available :)

I'm also hoping that we can settle the Eastern island and agree, for the moment, that a Forbidden Palace in the middle of the island would seem to be a good choice.

Ted

The Other Eden, Demi Paradise

0-2550BC
Reset preferences (turn animations off except for battles as my fingers work faster than my video processor).
Lower lux to 30% and reset research
Press enter.
Lucky the Conscript defeats a barb attack without injury and promotes to regular.

1-2510
Lucky moves NW into the forest.

York is founded as marked. Starts warrior.

Curragh encounters Abu's warrior. He lacks Warrior Code has Masonry as Monopoly. We have Warrior Code at second. He still won't come to the table on Masonry, but since we think he knows the Dutch Boy who has bows and arrows take his 20g for Warrior Code before Willie does and gets Masonry in the bargain. Then call a meeting with Hammurabi amd sell on Pottery for 37g.

2-2470BC
Exploring.

Lucky fends off another barb attack and moves west into another forest.

3-2430BC
Our elite warrior finds another village on the NW coast while Lucky reaches what looks like Land's End in the west.

4-2390BC
Lucky lands on Land's End and the elite warrior wakes up a bunch of wine-drinking Frenchmen (Burgundian tribesmen).

London builds its settler and starts a curragh. settler trekking to coastal estuary.

The drunken Burgundians form a huddle.

5-2350
Evade the Burgundians and vector the warriors homeward.

6-2310
Curragh sets off from London to NW Passage.

7-2270
Trekking and sailing.

8-2230
Same. Warriors are leading a lone Vandal back to our core.

9-2190
Found Nottingham on the coast. start worker.

Warriors trekking homeward. York is building a worker

10-2150
Not much to report other than incoming barbarains and a bulging treasury and nothing but Abu's monopoly on Masonry to spend it on, and if we did, no one to trade it off to. Ragnar has some cash to spend for Ceremonial Burial but I don't think he knows anybody else with the knowledge and 10 gold pieces is just not enough.

Settler is aiming for the Incense hills. Exploring curraghs are finding only Babylonians, Arabs and Vikings to the east.

Interestingly, the status screen shows England equal to the Arabs in territory and equal to the Babylonians in population. The power curve has a few interesting bumps in it as well, with our curve turning sharply up at 2150BC.

The settlement plan as outlined in Ted's and Tal's posts looks to be working well at least to this point. If we don't find an Iron Range I would be very surprised, but then, knowing MB maybe I wouldn't be. :mischief:

Once the Burgundians beat themselves to death I would boogey a warrior to Land's End to act as a lookout for visiting firemen from that direction, and another one north to clean out any new arrivals and for the same purpose.

And I agree with Ted's plan to build a temple in York. It will become a growth monster and keeping the Tudors happy (those cantankerous Sons of York) will become expensive.

We still need one more curragh to explore westwards.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
This nurse, this teeming womb of royal kings,
Fear'd by their breed and famous by their birth,
Renowned for their deeds as far from home,
For Christian service and true chivalry,
As is the sepulchre in stubborn Jewry,

Notes on the neighbors:
Dutch-Seafaring and Agricultural
Viking-Seafaring and Militaristic
Arabia-Religious and Expansionist
Babylonians-Religious and Scientific

Looks like the Babylonians are the ones to cultivate, at least so far. Become Hammurabi's bosom buddy and make it so he can't live without us. Once trade routes are open he should be our first choice as a luxury trading partner as that will keep his research rate up.

The Vikings are axe wielding hooligans once they reach the Middle Ages. I would ship them iron, if we have extra, and maybe even if we don't, encourage them to go to war with anybody but the Babylonians, and then once the deal is over, declare war on them but let a closer ally do the fighting. That will delay their entry to the MA and the availability of the berzerk, and may even put them down for the count.

I don't know the Dutch or the Arabs well, so it is hard to prepare a strategy for our relationship. The Dutch have an excellent MA defensive UU, the Arabs a fearsome offensive one, so I would hazard the guess that they will research as fast as they can to the required knoweldge to get them. That means they will probably bypass the optional techs like literature and take the shortest path to Feudalism (Dutch) and Chivalry (Arabs).

The Arabs probably won't give up Masonry until the Pyramids are built, but might pay well for Monarchy and horses and the Dutch will have more interest in Republic, Map Making and iron (once they enter the MA).

As stated above, the island to our east is a high priority, but we need Map Making to claim it.

On the FP discussion I don't have much to add (another of my not so good things, like settlement planning).

Rota check:
mtgfreak ==> up
TedJackson
Smellincoffee
Tinkez
Tallanas
Bede

Looking good Bede :thumbsup:

I'll update the roster & the summary.

Ted

Solid stuff Bede :)

I sense plenty of opportunity to whip out the old Bard in this game! :D

Edit - any chance of a screen shot of the Land's End area?? :)

Tallanas said:
I sense plenty of opportunity to whip out the old Bard in this game! :D

Makes you go blind that does.

Sorry - it was so obvious, but I couldn't resist. ;)

:rotfl:

I don't know what you mean, though! :mischief:

This thread is NOT going to degenerate into one of those "Mine's bigger than yours! Na-na-de-na-na" spamfests :D

Oops :blush: ...

That's from Richard the 2nd not Richard 11" :D

Ted

As requested:

Land's End

Ted

Ooh, nice!

Top Bottom