Jumpmasters 1A: (Buying) a Stairway to Heaven - C3C 1.22, Emperor

Tal,

Looks as if sticking to settling Yellow then Purple then Grey is indicated.

Are you going to attempt another dotmap or do you want me to give it a shot?

Ted

@MB and Ted,
:rotfl:
You guys are awful!!

Merry Wives of Windsor coming up next!!

Bede said:
Merry Wives of Windsor coming up next!!
As a late programme change, we're pleased to announce that the previously scheduled item will be replaced by "Typsy Tartes of Tottenham" for your (salacious) viewing pleasure :)

Ted

well, here goes

Turn 1: Exploration
IBT: Nothing
Turn 2: London: Warrior->Settler, Lucky kills fort barb warrior in forest and goes to 1HP. I wait on moving settler up to hills in case PRNG doesnt like me. I buy masonry from Abu for 11gpt and 290g (had to use it sometime)
IBT: nothing
Turn 3: Lower lux rate down to 10% and change a Londoner to an entertainer for some xtra income.
Turn 4: York: Worker-> Temple
IBT: Lucky kills yet another barb warrior, still doesnt promote
Turn 5: Move settler to incense hills. Ragnar has writing and wont trade even for all our treasury, 21 gpt, and both techs we have over him.
IBT: Discover Arabs building Pyramids
Turn 6: Hastings is founded on incense hills
IBT: Lucky wins again but doesnt promote
Turn 7: Move warriors southward to look for barbs down there
Turn 8: London Settler->Settler, moving Settler to Fish spot
Turn 9: Exploring
Turn 10: Realize that Hastings wont grow for 5 turns after worker will be done, so i switch to spearman to avoid shield loss

Ragnar still wont trade writing for everything we have, no one else has techs we dont though

I dont know how to do screenshots, so if some1 else could get one

TedJackson said:
Tal,

Looks as if sticking to settling Yellow then Purple then Grey is indicated.

Are you going to attempt another dotmap or do you want me to give it a shot?

Ted

Agreed on the order... Feel free to update your own map - I'm no map-hog ;)

Edit - just been looking at the save... I know the Arabs are wxpansionist, but wow! :eek: Good job taking over that island, Abu...

Also, I notice that you mention an entertainer, Mtgfreak (btw, what is MTG??) - I usually feel that with so few cities, a rise in the lux rate is made up for by getting the food and shields/trade from using the entertainer as a worker. Sometimes, though, it can be a tough call!

Solid turns...

Got it

@mtgfreak: from looking at your turnlog I see 2 less than optimum choices:

1 You spent our treasury & some of our future income on Masonry (a tech that is worthless to us). The only techs we need at present are those that lead to Map Making. Why do I say that? Because Map Making will allow us to build Caravels & colonise the island to our East thus increasing the size of our empire and our potential income. One side effect of your deal will probably be to make Arabia's position as "Top dog" unassailable for a long time to come.

2. Appointing an entertainer should only ever be a "Last resort" as thay are parasites, consuming food and offering nothing in return but a transitory and illusionary happiness. At this stage of the game, expansion is still our most important factor. An entertainer merely stunts London's growth. It would have been much better to leave the lux at 20, 30 or even 40 percent and keep London's population growing at the maximum possible.

I hope you take these comments as constructive and understand why I've made them. Feel free to ask if any of the points I've made are unclear.

Ted

Our Core

The Red arrow indicates where I think the Settler is heading.

Ted

I think your comments were well put, Ted. Some interesting points about entertainers that I had to learn the hard way as well, in SGoTM2.

The settler is indeed heading to that site - I think the next should go to the purple site, then green - we could do with hooking up our two luxuries as soon as possible now. A road to Hastings should be a number one priority.

JM1A-1750BC

Pre-flight checks...
Fire clown at London
Raise lux to 20% (income plummets from +7gpt to +4gpt)
Nottingham switches from Worker to Warrior
Hastings switches from Spear to Warrior

Tech Report
Arabia (378gp) up Maths
Babylon (0gp) down Masonry
Netherlands (0gp) down Masonry
Scandinavia (10gp) up Writing, down Masonry & Ceremonial Burial

Objectives
Expand our empire
Acquire Writing

Press button...

1 - 1725BC
Currraghs explore
Workers move to NW York - mining & road to Hastings
Worker mine (W Nottingham)
Settler SW

IBT
Hastings Warrior - Worker
Vikings start Colossus :(

2 - 1700BC
Lux 30% (London grew)
Workers mine
Settler SW
Curraghs explore

IBT
London Settler - Warrior

3 - 1675BC
Settler heads NW (Purple)
Settler arrives at coastal river (SW)
Lux 10%
Netherlands & Arabia have Iron Working

IBT
Arabia demands 23gp - I say "Off with you! May your camels run dry"
Arabia declares war on us

4 - 1650BC
Curraghs explore
Canterbury founded

IBT
London Warrior - Settler

5 - 1625BC
Curraghs explore
Settler NW
Workers mine - road

IBT
Dutch start Pyramids

6 - 1600BC
Curraghs explore
Settler NW
Worker road
Babylon has Iron Working
Buy Iron Working from Babylon for Masonry + 112gp
Buy Writing from Scandinavia for Iron Working, Ceremonial Burial + 17gp
We have Iron on a mountain between London & Nottingham :)

IBT
Hastings Worker - Barracks

7 - 1575BC
Coventry founded (Purple)
Workers road
Curraghs explore
We can't afford to establish embassies just yet

IBT
Nottingham Warrior - Warrior
Babylon starts Pyramids

8 - 1550BC
Curraghs explore
Workers work

IBT
York Temple - Settler
Arabia starts Oracle

9 - 1525BC
Curraghs explore (including suicide run)
Workers work
Lux 0%

IBT
London Settler - Warrior

10 - 1500BC
Settler heads for Grey site
Curraghs explore
Workers work

Notes
I wasn't expecting Arabia to declare as we had an ongoing gpt deal with them. But that's Civ's AI for you :(

We're Up Writing vs Arabia, Netherlands & Babylon; Masonry vs Scandinavia and down Maths & Mysticism vs Arabia.

I deliberately haven't traded away Writing. It could be best used when Arabia sues for peace to winkle Maths & Mysticism from them. Whatever happens do not trade Writing to the Dutch as they're on the same landmass as Arabia.

We can afford Embassies now but should probably build up a little nest egg first.

Our Curraghs are still exploring and I took a short suicide run to discover another island.

This Curragh is heading anticlockwise around our island.

This Curragh is heading to the unexplored tip.

Keep a sharp eye open for Sea channels as when Map Making is discovered we'll be needing to explore them ASAP.

The Settler is heading for the Northern (Grey) coastal site.

On the city front:
London should build another Settler after the Warrior.

York's borders will expand in 3 turns bringing the second Wheat into play. Remember to mine the second Wheat not irrigate it. This is a priority Worker task best dealt with by the 2 Workers 2NW of York once they finish their current task. I've not projected the moves forward but York will become a 4 turn Settler Factory as soon as a Granary is built. We could probably sneak in 1 or 2 forest chops to speed that Granry's completion :)

Hastings is building a Barracks (inland city with nothing else to worry about) and the Incense road will complete at the end of this turn.

Nottingham could start another Curragh after the Warrior (perhaps keeping it close to home ready to upgrade).

Canterbury might also be a good place to build another Curragh (sailing it to Nottingham or London ready for upgrading).

Coventry's next build should probably be a Worker. Connecting our cities and improving our tiles is even more important in this variant.

Dotmaps and save follow...

Ted

Dotmap 1

Dotmap 2

I prefer dotmap 1 even though Cyan & Black are quite cramped. The Red site South of York captures both Fish which will allow us to work the mountains later. It looks a bit odd now but I think it will work out OK :)

Comments & suggestions are (always) welcome.

The save is > here <

Ted

Nice work, Ted.

2 is neater, but 1 is better for such a small island. Not absolutely convinced by the black square, as there is only one tile that belongs to that city only... All the rest would be shared. Once we get up to size 12 cities, black is ripe for abandonment!

Good trading too, I think it is important to stress how we need to keep writing to ourselves for a while :)

Tallanas said:
Not absolutely convinced by the black square, as there is only one tile that belongs to that city only... All the rest would be shared. Once we get up to size 12 cities, black is ripe for abandonment!
There's always a trade off :)

Black lets us work some more river tiles in the short term but could well be abandoned further down the line.

Roster update:
Smellincoffee ==> up
Tinkez
Tallanas
Bede
mtgfreak
TedJackson

Ted

Nice turns Ted!

I'm also quite surprised that Arabia declared, but that does not harm us at this point, maybe it'll harm only them as they build more military and therefore do not focus on research that much -> others will catch up and give us more trade opportunities.

About the city placement: Map1 looks good, I agree on maybe later abandoning the black site, but it'll be a good city for a long time. I'll just throw one question here:

The red spot city on the bottom right corner of our island. If we build it there, it's true that we can work on the two fish, but we'll also leave three grassland tiles out of reach from all cities. Is that really what we want? Maybe building two cities on that corner on following locations:

1. from the red spot two squares NE.
2. from the red spot two squares NW.

This will make Canterbury more crowded, but also would allow us to take full advantage from the two fish, both resources and the three grassland tiles that would otherwise be unused.

What does the team think about this corner of our island? :confused:

Comments are welcome of course.

-Tinkez

Tinkez said:
The red spot city on the bottom right corner of our island. If we build it there, it's true that we can work on the two fish, but we'll also leave three grassland tiles out of reach from all cities. Is that really what we want? Maybe building two cities on that corner on following locations:

1. from the red spot two squares NE.
2. from the red spot two squares NW.

This will make Canterbury more crowded, but also would allow us to take full advantage from the two fish, both resources and the three grassland tiles that would otherwise be unused.
You're right, I considered this option but liked the future fast growth offered by the 2 Fish site better. After I'd fiddled around to get the 2 maps, I'd quite forgotten about the alternative for Red and so forgot to mention it :blush:

Ted

Just to comment further, I would go for red on a tile two NW of its current spot, and then a city on the little island promontory ting - less crowded, and it only wastes one grassland tile, which we can probably deal with ;)

Edit - normally I wouldn't be bothered about the intial 24 hr "got it" period" but I notice that SC hasn't posted to the thread for a long time...

SC! Are you there? :)

Edit 2 - for your viewing pleasure... The black X is our one lost tile. Otherwise, I think this would work very nicely as a trade city.

Attachments

• Promontory.JPG
    Promontory.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 318
I didn't spot that option Tal,

well done :)

Ted

Good eyeballs, Tal and Ted. I need to get glasses that superimpose the city outline on everything....

Bede said:
Good eyeballs, Tal and Ted. I need to get glasses that superimpose the city outline on everything....
It's the walking round with my head tilted to one side that I can't handle :D

Ted

The city placement is good with the small island used, nice point. I guess we all agree on the city placement on the starting continent now.

Now we just wait if SC shows up? :confused:

How long should I wait if there's no "got it" from him?

Edit: PM sent to SmellinCoffee

-Tinkez

Consider this a got it, although I need to study the thread to see what's up. Mafia has been hogging my attention since Sunday afternoon. ;)

Top Bottom