Jurassic Park: 65 Million Years in the Making...

Lord Malbeth

Emperor
Jurassic Park is Frightening in the Dark!

Intro

For several years, the eccentric CEO of InGen, John Hammond has been building, a sort of 'biological preserve' on his private island 120 miles of the coast of Costa Rica. Unbeknownst to the public, the island is actually an amusement park showcasing certain genetically recreated dinosaur species. Recent events have spooked Hammond's considerable investors, so, to placate them, he has enlisted paleontologist Alan Grant and his paleobotanist graduate student Ellie Sattler to act as fresh consultants. They stand in counterbalance to a well-known mathematician and chaos theorist named Ian Malcolm and a lawyer representing the investors, Donald Gennaro. They are the first people to ever experience Jurassic Park.

Just when all seems well, the power shuts off, the work of a disgruntled employee, and the dinosaurs break free. With the consultants in the park, not to mention Hammonds two grandchildren, Tim and Lex, the fate of Jurassic Park lies in your hands...

Victory

Victory is achieved either through standard conquest, by gaining 66% of the terrain and 66% of the population, returning Jurassic Park's frozen embryos (AKA a princess) to your HQ, or managing to escape Isla Nublar and land on the main land via victory point location. Otherwise, the winner is the side with the highest score at game end (Day 300; 300 turns).

Continuity

This scenario tries to stick to the books as close as possible, although elements from all three films has been included, including quotes from the movie. Also, due to the fact that some dino graphics don't exist, some key dinos aren't present, most notably the diloposaurs and compys. Sorry guys, but it's the best I can do! And yes, there are spinosaurs. ;)

Credits

So many, many people. I've used a large amount of graphis for this scenario. Due credit goes to Vuldacon and King Arthur for making/tweaking "Escape From Zombie Island" from which many units, icons, ideas, and sentances were sampled ( ;) ). Aaglo, Kinboat, la-dav, Dom Pedra II, NavyDawg, CivArmy s. 1994, Balou, Plotinus, TheMorpheus, Firaxis, and many, many more. If I missed your name, don't scream and yell, just PM me and tell me you'd like credit. I'd be more then happy to help!

And, a HUGE thanks goes out to Balthasar for his diligant work on the graphics. He made the second incarnation of this scenario a lot more intersting to look at. Hooray for Balthasar and his graphic editing prowess!

AND Download

Enjoy

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated: July 13, 2020)

AN ADVENTURE 65 MILLION YEARS IN THE MAKING...!

Last edited:
Since I'm lazy, I'm just gonna cheat and use some of Balthasar's pics he posted:

Player Set-Up
Spoiler :

The Beautiful Lands of Jurassic Park
Spoiler :

The North Dock
Spoiler :

Starvation... In the Kitchen?!?! Oh the irony...
Spoiler :

Research Time...
Spoiler :

Looks very interesting Lord M. :)

OK, tried to play a couple of game as JP. I got my ass kicked every single time in like 10 turns.

What am i supposed to do with Ellie, Genaro and Malcolm? What about Grant&the kids?

I vaguely remember that the kids end up in the kitchen in the movie, but I get slaughtered every single time when I try to go there, as the route is packed with raptors.

Speaking about raptors, even though I get all my units at the Visitors' Center, abadoning the other buildings, I still get butchered every single time, especially since the unit with 8 DEF is a king unit and as such is last to defend in the pile. I tried to rush the bunker there, lowering the science ratio to 10% but even at this rate I can't get enough supplies to hurry-build it.

What's a human gotta do?

edit: there's a minor spelling mistake that irks me a li'l: "laboratory" is spelled "labratory" sometimes.

edit2: Played another game as The Company. It was quite interesting to be able to negotiate with the dinosaurs, and Nedry couldn't pick the embryos, which was sort of bummer. The compsies in Costa Rica won't move for some reason.

That's a lot of negative criticism, I know, but the mod looks so good that it fustrating to not be able to do anything with it.

This looks very cool. Can't wait for the screenies :)

Great stuff LM. However, I agree with Eh!Money! in that it's just too darn difficult. I think the humans need some sort of advantage: either bombardment or the ability to go "off-road".

I thought I was doing rather well with my Alan Grant Party when I took the Docks. Had to abandon it when 2 T-Rexs popped up - could have done with more supplies to rush build a supply boat - that was annoying. But even more annoying after fighting my way North from the Dock I got all the way to the North Nest (destroying it) but then found I couldn't get any further - I was hemmed in (Why?) and it was only a matter of time before the T-rexs turned up for dinner - CHomp, CHOmp, CHOMP.

Meanwhile my Ian Malcolm party sped north in one of the cars but came a cropper outside the South Gate. Maybe if there was one passable tile that allowed a unit to pass the dino city. It seems that this early part of the game should be about getting your "hero" units back to your key locations in the north of the island, allowing you to regroup and upgrade before launching an offensive. At the mo I can't seem to crack the getting to safety bit - any tips?

All in all though it has the makings of a classic.

What am i supposed to do with Ellie, Genaro and Malcolm? What about Grant&the kids?

You are trying to get them back to the visitors center.

I vaguely remember that the kids end up in the kitchen in the movie, but I get slaughtered every single time when I try to go there, as the route is packed with raptors.

Understandable, I'm cutting down the number of raptors.

Speaking about raptors, even though I get all my units at the Visitors' Center, abadoning the other buildings, I still get butchered every single time, especially since the unit with 8 DEF is a king unit and as such is last to defend in the pile. I tried to rush the bunker there, lowering the science ratio to 10% but even at this rate I can't get enough supplies to hurry-build it.

I'm fixing that too.

edit: there's a minor spelling mistake that irks me a li'l: "laboratory" is spelled "labratory" sometimes.

Taken care of. ;)

The compsies in Costa Rica won't move for some reason.

I'll have to look into that...

That's a lot of negative criticism, I know, but the mod looks so good that it fustrating to not be able to do anything with it.

No, no, absoluetely not, I net criticism to make this fun!

I thought I was doing rather well with my Alan Grant Party when I took the Docks. Had to abandon it when 2 T-Rexs popped up - could have done with more supplies to rush build a supply boat - that was annoying. But even more annoying after fighting my way North from the Dock I got all the way to the North Nest (destroying it) but then found I couldn't get any further - I was hemmed in (Why?) and it was only a matter of time before the T-rexs turned up for dinner - CHomp, CHOmp, CHOMP.

Meanwhile my Ian Malcolm party sped north in one of the cars but came a cropper outside the South Gate. Maybe if there was one passable tile that allowed a unit to pass the dino city. It seems that this early part of the game should be about getting your "hero" units back to your key locations in the north of the island, allowing you to regroup and upgrade before launching an offensive. At the mo I can't seem to crack the getting to safety bit - any tips?

HaHa, funny story. Well, I've decided to give heros the ability to bombard AND I've upped their 'awesomeness' (For lack of a better word).

All in all though it has the makings of a classic.

Why thank you very much!

I'll try to get a new version posted.

Sorry for the double-post, but new patch is availible. See if this helps.

Tried the new patch, and it helps.

Although I still got butchered before I tried going anywhere... But it made more sense and I was able to roleplay a little:

I managed to bring Alan, Lex and Tim up to the dock and capture it (Alan killed a raptor and Tim battled with a Cae-flying-ausorus). But I couldn't rush-build the raft 'cause the dino-laborer was panicked, you know, getting overran by kids and whatnot.
Well that part wasn't like the book at all, I'll give you that, but after that both Tyrannosauruses went after the party and since the kids are invisible I used Alan to lure them away from the kids. He died bravely in the jungle shortly after, the kids were safe.

Genaro, Ellie and Ian went north trying to reach the Center, faced a bunch of Rouge raptors. Ellie died, Ian died, and Genaro managed to kill the last raptor only to find himself trapped before impassable mountains (there appears to be a road missing on the northernmost diamond that would get the three of them up to the North Gate).

So I was left with a lone Genaro, to kids that couldn't catch a break, and swarms of raptors coming up to the visitor center...

All in all I fared better than my couple first times, and I like the idea of a JP mod so much that I gave it a shot and managed to scramble together a coupe suggestions&remarks, in no particular order:

- there should be one civ for each species of dino. I know it's a big change but it'd make sense since one of the thing you learn about the Park in the book is that the Island is actually a thriving ecosystem with dinosaurs hunting each others, eating grass and trees and not caring much about humans, except if they invade their territory (see: T-Rex) or because they're velociraptors and will f*ck your sh*t up because they can.
Plus if you do that, gameplay-wise, the humans could catch a break, think and regroup.
Plus it'll look pretty with all the borders, since the dinos are segregated with electrified barriers in the book, and they can walk across them cause no power, eh!

-Both Rexes (why are there three rexes anyway?) should the be sole representatives of their civs (one civ per Rex) an be made king units so they can go about their business without their civ being wiped out. Although i don't know how the game's engine would handle that situation.

Because you know in the book the T-rexes fight one another.

- Of course peace should be made impossible with all human factions (you can make peace with the dinos when playing The Company (and apparently they are lead by cleopatra ;) ). And the dinos could sorta make peace with one another, only to resume their assaults later. One way to do that would be to set the aggression level for all herbivores fairly low and very high for the carnivores. And immobile almost indestructible units should be put in all herbivores nests so that the carnivores can't just wipe them out the map (In the book the park is a thriving at-equilibrium ecosystem so it wouldn't make much sense to have a raptors-only island)

- Culture should be set accordingly so that each territory has the right shape (this could lead to interesting gameplay since roads would have to go through different borders, thus slowing all units), and each "territory" should make sense (as in stop alongside mountains and lake and what-have-yous).
Once again I got this idea from the book, where dinos are described as territorial species.

- Caedotearcelisomething should be able to pass over all type of terrains.

- You must do something about the dock. Maybe change the "nationality" of the worker there to human so the "resistors" are quelled right away, and it becomes possible to rush-build a raft as soon as you get there.

- Speaking of cities (or nests) it makes little sense for any of the dinos to be able to build vast amount of units. Where would these units come from? They can't be born, up and running in a matter of hours! And dino cities shouldn't see their population go up above 2~3, and any unit build should cost one pop, or more. Maybe each dino species should start with more units but units would take much longer to build. And they shouldn't be able to build workers.

- There should be something in the game that'd accurately represent all the business in the book about the electrical power being cut off and restored. I'm thinking maybe there should be a Small Wonder somewhere that could be built at the right time spawning "Electric Power restored" units with very high DEF every turn, and these units could be "airdropped", so to speak, anywhere on the map (a house rule would be that you'd have to start dropping them only on diamonds adjacent to a border, starting close to the generator and extending from there).
Or! (bear with me I'm having a brainstorm here and I'm so high on coffee I'm gonna have a heart attack any minute now) you could have a Tech that'd allow the player to build a small wonder called "Power up 10%" where the units could only be dropped, say 3 diamonds from the generator, then 5 turns later or something another tech that'd allow "Power up 20%" SW spawning units with the same stats but with a higher range for air drops, et caetera up until infinite range airdrops.

- Grant and the kids should have a safe spot (not controlled by any dinos), where they could rest. Like when they sat and slept up in that tree and Lex got sneezed on by the big ass quadruped.

Wow that's a lot of stuff I typed right here

- an interesting idea would also to have the humans completely overwhelmed by the shear number of units (like it happens right now under this version) and have them completely abandon their cities and walk in the jungle trying to reach the heliport. But of course not before all the king units got their upgrades. It would go like this: take all the units to the visitor center -> fence off the dinos long enough to get upgrades -> start a trek in the jungle to the heliport -> capture the heliport -> fence off the dinos long enough to be able to build a helicopter.

- Or there could be a Space Ship victory, something like the 5-step disaster management plan, that would end with the Costa Rican army invading the Island and destroying all the dinos.

God Damn that was lots of words! I hope it all makes sense and that you won't take no offense with me meddling with your work!

Tried the new patch, and it helps.

God Damn that was lots of words! I hope it all makes sense and that you won't take no offense with me meddling with your work!

Although I had a huge response to all your thoughts, it got deleted, so I'll just say, I've fixed most of the issues you've addressed. I'll try to upload a new patch sometime.

Top Bottom