Jury vote: The People of the State of Yasutan vs. Joe Harker

In the matter of the People vs. Joe Harker, how do you find?

• Innocent

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Guilty

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockesdonkey

Liberal Jihadist
"On the sole count of the indictment, violation of the Game Play Session Scheduling Initiative, how do you find?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Your task is to determine the innocence or guilt of Joe Harker in the case of The People of the State of Yasutan vs. Joe Harker. In the words of the court procedures:

The Trial poll will be a private poll, with the options Innocent, Guilty and Abstain. It will run for 48 hours. The option receiving the most votes will determine the result. In the event of a tie, the members of the Judiciary will determine the result by posting clear opinions in the Trial thread.

In addition to being private, the poll is single-choice.

Thank you.

Moderator Action: Move from Citizens forum to Polls - Methos

"On the sole count of the indictment, violation of the Game Play Session Scheduling Initiative, how do you find?"

I would have so liked to have heard that "Law and Order" tune at that exact moment.

Innocent, I think. Not quite sure on the legal stuff here.

In my opinion not guilty, also i vote innocent.
But nobody is innocent!

Nobody certainly is innocent. He's done I fine job as public defender.

(Sorry, I can never resist Nobody jokes. He has the best forum name!)

They got all the bodies down there. Elle MacPherson The Body from Aussie and Nobody the demogamer from Kiwi. Maybe the brother of nobody is somebody.

Guilty.

Is there a reason this isn't in the Poll subforum?

Not really, no.

Move it if you like, with your wonderful new mod powers...:)

EDIT: I didn't notice that you'd done that already...silly me... (I came here straight from the main CFC Forums page...)

I would have so liked to have heard that "Law and Order" tune at that exact moment.

That's exactly what I was thinking of at the time.

lol i was just going to make the same joke when i saw yours. :lol: im sure he means nobody but not nobody.

Maybe the brother of nobody is somebody.

well he does work at mc donalds, and i think hes a emo. Is that somebody?

In my humble opinion, Guilty.

wow its 50/50. Incase of a draw what happens? Does he go free, or is it hung and we do another poll?

The law is unclear. Looking at the general principles (it appears that we are a common-law jurisdiction, so I am assuming that we implicitly received our law uno acto from the the central tenets of the common law), it would appear that either a. the jury is hung (which sort of makes sense, considering that in real juries where a supermajority but not unanimity is required, the jury is deemed hung when the requirement is not met) or b. the guy goes free (the prosecution did not adequately meet its burden of proof). There is a third option, that of me casting the final vote (I have thus far refrained from casting any vote whatsoever), but as I am tangentially (and in a manner that doesn't impede my ability to do the fairly mundane tasks assigned to me in this matter) a party to the case, I'm not entirely sure that that would be wise.

I don't like the thought of the CJ casting the final vote. Instead I suggest using the 'hung jury' option and just considering it a mistrial (not sure if that's the correct term). As you said, can't find enough burden of proof, therefore it's just dropped and he goes free.

I don't like the thought of the CJ casting the final vote. Instead I suggest using the 'hung jury' option and just considering it a mistrial (not sure if that's the correct term). As you said, can't find enough burden of proof, therefore it's just dropped and he goes free.

I just voted Joe Harker innocent. Now it's 8-8.

I think the Constitution may answer the question of what happens in a tie.

Article B - Citizens

2. All citizens share the same fundamental rights, including but not limited to:
7. The Right to Presumption of Innocence unless proven guilty

Hmm, I wonder what we should do if we gotten a hung jury?

Tie-breaker...

I voted Guilty, because I feel a rule was broken. However, no punishment should be given concidering the circumstances, since this was Joe's first game session, and no malice was intended.

wow its 50/50. Incase of a draw what happens? Does he go free, or is it hung and we do another poll?

The law is unclear. Looking at the general principles (it appears that we are a common-law jurisdiction, so I am assuming that we implicitly received our law uno acto from the the central tenets of the common law), it would appear that either a. the jury is hung (which sort of makes sense, considering that in real juries where a supermajority but not unanimity is required, the jury is deemed hung when the requirement is not met) or b. the guy goes free (the prosecution did not adequately meet its burden of proof). There is a third option, that of me casting the final vote (I have thus far refrained from casting any vote whatsoever), but as I am tangentially (and in a manner that doesn't impede my ability to do the fairly mundane tasks assigned to me in this matter) a party to the case, I'm not entirely sure that that would be wise.

Actually the law is clear:
the tie would be broken by the three Justices clearly stating their vote in this thread. So in case of a tie the Court decides.

Moderator Action: (friendly remark)
When this poll is closed, we'd like to have Thunderfall double check the votes. The main reason is to make sure this poll is not influenced by the "double vote bug" or some other event.

As soon as Thunderfall completes his check a moderator will post a "results stand" message in this thread if the bug is not present or else will make sure the poll-results reflect the way people (wanted to) vote(d). I am quiet sure the result will stand, but we want to remove all doubt beforehand. Thank you for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom