Just a few Questions...

The_CatSnack

Warlord
I just got a few questions...

* Can anyone confirm if the line of sight bonus for religions will be in the game? I heard there was a bit of debate about it. (I hope it's in. It sounds awesome...)

* What happens to a religion if you raze a holy city?

* Instead of culture flipping, I hear that city upkeep increrases when they are near a foreign city with superior culture, causing the player to hand them over via diplomacy. What is to stop a player from simply disbanding the affected city?

* I can't wait for this game to come out and I am having a hard time coping with the withdrawl. Can anyone help?

Thanks folks...

I haven’t heard anything permanent on those topics yet, we should start hearing a lot of new stuff coming soon with the early release, they will really start promoting the game, as you can see from the main page there are several things coming up. You might say we are hitting our Golden Age of news on Civ4 right about now!

Hmmm, of all the questions that have I have seen asked here, these are the hardest to answer-except perhaps the first.

We know that there was originally a full 'Line-of-sight' bonus from controlling the holy city, but that this was deemed too powerful, so they scaled it back to a partial 'Line of Sight' instead (though how partial is beyond me).

Now, your second one is an absolute doozy!! You know I have no idea, but I am guessing that (a) given that you would be giving up your LOS benefit from controlling that Holy City and (b) the fact that every civ which belongs to that religion would probably want to personally carve out your heart with a spoon :mischief: , that only the most deranged and viscious leader would ever do it. My guess, though, is that the religion would go on, its just that the founder would lose all LOS and income benefits from having the Holy City. Alternatively, it could be similar to your capital, where building a new palace establishes a new capital city!

Wow, another doozy. Well assuming that they have given due consideration to the possibility that someone might do such a thing (as most 'spiteful' players almost certainly would :mischief: ) then it would probably be that the sheer value of a city traded in such a fashion is simply to great for even a vindictive player to ignore OR perhaps disbanding cities leads to major unhappiness in the rest of your nation. It might even be a combination of both!

Now, this is a question I can help you with ;) . My suggestion is: seek out a doctor and ask him to place you in a 40 day coma. That way, it will only seem like a single night has passed between now and when the game is released :D!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

If you destroy a holy city then I would think either a new city is deamed the new holy city, or that's it. I remember reading that only a holy city can build a certain building (cathedral, mosque, etc..) and isn't that where the missonaries come from? Cause that would prevent a religion from continuing to grow.

I think I'm wrong on that, cause that seems to powerful of a tactic. Off to research! :)

Maybe partial LoS is the same as the one you get around a city you establish an embassy in (you see the 3x3, but not the units that might be there)..

probably the city of same religion and most culture would be appointed next holy city?

I'd assume that its gone forever, like loss of a Wonder.

Do we know for a fact that razing cities is still a viable option in Civ IV?

that is a superb question...hmmm...

can you imagine the fury a civ would have if you burned down a holy city????? it would be like the US bombing mecca, the whole arab world would come crashing down on them

The whole Muslim world would come crashing down on US.

I too wonder if the razing of cities is still an option. Why was it an option in Civ3?

Crayton said:
The whole Muslim world would come crashing down on US.

I too wonder if the razing of cities is still an option. Why was it an option in Civ3?

'Cause people did it all the time in history. Pity there's no "salt the earth" option...

RE: Partial LOS--Maybe you're allowed to see the city's improvements and possibly current production, but nothing else.

Top Bottom