1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a heads up on Sulla's new season of AI's wars

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by vmxa, Apr 6, 2019.

1. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

He just posted the first game team selection and that match is on the 19th. Not sure where this should be, but this looked as good as any.

The season is basically all the civs and all of their leaders. They run a series of matches with about a half a dozen civs in each. Only the AI's play and there is an observer (Sulla) that commentates. The top 2 move on to the finals.

Eventually a number of matches are play to pick the all star leaders and they play a final winner. It is on deity on a pan map.

People vote on several areas and try to get points for the best score. Things like 1st and second place in the game, year game ends and victory type and so on.

Link to Sulla's YouTube pot.

Excal, ArchGhost, SuperXANA and 4 others like this.
  2. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I submitted my picks and a comment for game 1 that you linked. :)

3. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

4. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

thanks for the heads-up!

As I don't follow anything regarding Sullla and this is the only Civ website I visit, these just kind of show up on his website/youtube whenever I'm bored enough to look, haha, and I never know if he's gonna do more or not. Season 3 was a nice surprise in that regard.

EDIT:
    Civs only get their actual starting techs in this version, no freebies from Deity. Hmm!

That should make it a bit easier to pick out potential wonder-spammers, and who is more likely to develop faster with BW.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  5. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Yeah I had given up on seeing another and then the 4th season was announced.

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Game 1 video:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/413512404
    Spoiler SPOILERS :

Good heavens, Isabella won Domination!
    She is usually such a wet paper bag.

And Roosevelt was 2nd.
    A marshmellow civ.
    I got not a single thing right on my picks! :cry:

Cyrus got robbed on those 3 Russian cities, but he was beyond dumb DoWing such a tech leader later, so no hard feelings.

I love how the 2nd AI cities always seems to build a Settler. Good to know.

7. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

Spoiler :

Yeah, I think a lot of people were wrong about this game, except those picking the opposite of what seemed strong pics for the irony of it.

For my part, I didn't think much of Izzy one way or another (she's unpredictable as hell other than "hates heathens") but I was totally wrong about Cyrus and Rosie. Cathy dying was a possible scenario in my head, but Rosie doing well not so much.

technically, they will start a settler in either city once they have the 2nd one founded, but never build a settler in the other one until this 3rd settler is done.

It's just the capitol gets developed first so it gets into loops of cranking units one after another and will be in the middle of a build when the 2nd city is founded.

This leaves the second city with an open build queue where there's a high chance they'll decide to start the settler there.

Since the second city is behind in development/placed in weak or dumb locations like the middle of jungle an AI can be really stunted when this happens and they are stuck building their ONE next settler for like 20+ turns. Sullla *****es about it all the time in other games from the earlier tourneys :D

Kaitzilla likes this.
  8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Kinda nuts to see how many units the deity AIs can spam around the map. And how sensible they can be when cities are under siege. I know, I'll build a worker, an aqueduct and triremes -- that'll swing the war in our favour! :lol:

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

krikav likes this.
  10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Ah..this is kinda cool since Sullla actually plays the turns manually, as opposed to the autoplay Klotjeck did in the past. Really shows how starting location and land can impact the AI sometimes. Although, regardless, not sure why everyone was so high on Pacal here. Not to mention his very poor starting location, but he’s not a particularly strong AI either. Possible culture threat, but he is not that aggressive and can often be generally disliked.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Yeah, not sure why so many apparently favoured Pacal. Not a big fan of him. Too often he ends up with a 2-3 city empire filled with religions. A fun watch though. Gandhi could quite easily have been eliminated, if fate had not intervened.

More balanced starts would be nice to see. Pacal got kinda screwed here in the snow-tundra, and then you had 3-gems Mehmed (who hates mining :D )

12. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Willy or Gandhi were obvious picks imo,
    Gandhi is probably the best AI in acually following a victory condition ~~
    ..and Willy has middle peace weight, useful traits and usually does well without humans screwing him.

Mehmed traits are not that good for AIs, and he often gets stuck in pointless wars early as semi-warmonger.

13. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

14. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Shaka was fun to watch, even with JC being so far ahead.
    Great videos if you want to lose some respect of deity, seeing all that random stuff they are doing ;)

15. lymond

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    krikav likes this.
  16. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Preview link goes to game 3, Lymo.
    Map 4 starting posis seem unbalanced, Justi & Charlie have strong ones while Sury or Monty already look weak.
    I guess most will vote for Justi, but Charlie could put up a fight and worth picking to have someone else ~~

17. lymond

ack! :blush: ..fixed. it....case of multiple windows open

I did pick Chuck as runner up. Key will be how chips fall with Monty, and how much of a nuisance he will be. Not, hypothetically, that Monty is a threat to Charlie, but rather if they end up on the wrong side of the religion game, Monty may make his life difficult - given their proximity to one another and how both tend to found their own religion. On the other hand, Charlie could end up destroy Monty or even capping him, which would make things really interesting.

Wow..I was blown away by JC that game. I think he only fought one war very late if I saw that correctly.

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Fun game 3. Shaka did impressively well. He techs horribly, but when he gets going in a war he can really do some damage simply because he spams so darn many units. Kind of amazed JC didn't wage war earlier, he seems to get stuck in wonderwhore mode. Then he figured it was time to crush some ants. He had a good start though, and played the opening really well. Almost like a human, expanding towards the other AIs and grabbing happiness and strategic resources.

As Fippy mentioned, some preposterous builds and pathing by the AI. But then Deity AIs have such surreal bonuses that they can build crap half the time and still outproduce the human. Not relevant here ofc, but in normal games I'm bloody glad they don't do the "right" thing all the time. Would be impossible to beat them. Which incidentally goes back to a talk Soren held at some point years ago, talking about the AI in Civ 4. As he said, it would be no problem to program it so that it was impossible for the human to beat it. But what would the fun in that? What would be the point?

So we can laugh about all the silly stuff it does, and rage in those rare cases when they DOW in 2000BC. If they did that (or worse!) every single time, which they could, we wouldn't stand a chance. Simple as that really.

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Cheers. Won't send in picks because I have blacklisted a wide range of Google-related sites (except YouTube), but I agree with your quick analysis. Probably hard to get all starts somewhat balanced, and it looks less bad this time than some of the previous games. I've always found Justinian to be a strong leader in AI hands, so would probably go for him. Despite terrible traits and suchlike, Charlie often does well while in AI hands. He could well put up a good fight here too.

With so many religious zealots, I can imagine this game would see a lot of wars. Or maybe like in the last game, Monty won't declare until well into the ADs? :lol:

20. lymond

It'll interesting to see how the religions shake out. There are five AIs on the map that start with Myst and favor religion. Key I think will be if Chuck and Monty both found the earliest religions. I think that unlikely, but possible. Then Monotheism follows a bit later, so who grabs that. But if one of Monty or Charles grab one religion and spread to the other early it might make things dull up there. All 3 of Justy, Asoka, and Sal really push for early religions. I'd have to check the starts as well to see if anyone is commerce boosted at the start..can't remember.

IMO ..Justy is the best AI in the game for multiple reasons, and he has a good position. Of course, anything can happen in any game. He expands well and fast, techs at a pace comparable to the better FIN leaders, usually gets an early religion and spreads it fast + holy shrine, major threat to Oracle. But what I find most important with him is that a) his peaceweight makes him generally not hated by any AI even with religions and; therefore, he is rarely targeted or disrupted early on b) he's a bit less aggressive but will fight opportunistic wars later after already likely blowing most away in land and gnp....along with a pretty solid mid-game UU

edit: Did a run through of the preview again to see the starts. Monty, Just, Asoka all have a commerce tile as best tile, assuming they work them, so I think 2 of those 3 should get a religion first. Possibly impacting that may be if AI cities adjust best tiles based on traits and builds. For instance if Justy builds a settler first in cap, I'm not sure what will happen. When and where the AIs plant there 2nd city may certainly factor as well (river connection? commerce best tile?). Fallback though, Chuck and Just have gold to work, so if either miss out than Mono may be an option.

Last edited: May 7, 2019