1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a heads up on Sulla's new season of AI's wars

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by vmxa, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Yep and Justi also has decent surrounding land (pigs), while i struggle finding good stuff for other AIs.
    Actually Charlie has terrible land outside his cap, no food resis visible? oO

Justi might be dominant like JC last game, if he has the best early cities.
    SPI is also great for AIs imo, they waste quiet some turns on Anarchy with questionable Civic switches.
    Peter might do okay if he can grab some stuff from Asoka, who will be in trouble probably.

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thanks Lymond, I have placed a vote now too, will be even more fun watching when you have something to root for! :)

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I'm predicting that Monty will win domination. :)

Charly I think will struggle, he will do something stupid like failing two attempts at founding a religion and will lack starting techs to do anything constructive.
    Asoka I think will do pretty solidly, and likewise Saladin, my hope is that these two will help contain Justinian somewhat.
    Surys start is plain awful.
    I'm rooting for that Monty will have abit of luck and roll over Sury with his weak start, and Peter who is always a wimp, while not being overly challenged on peaceful expansion on the other flank from Charly, and that the resulting land advantage will snowball him to a domination victory.

4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Is it 16:00 GMT now on friday that the livestream is up?

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Not sure...GMT is London time, right? Noon EST would be New York or DC(me) time. I think that is UTC -5 from GMT? So 17:00 GMT? or 5 PM?

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

That was bloody...

7. lymond

Bloody good! :D Lotsa action for most of the game. 18 wars I think. Justy missed so many opportunities early on and still bulled his way to a decisive victory. Chuck made a good showing indeed. Asoka was hilarious. "Oh..I think I'll declare on these big Russians over here...oh wait! doh!"

Were you watching live, Pangaea? Not signed in? Saw krikav in chat and a surprise visit by unforcederror!!!

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

It was a really fun experience watching this event live. Will absolutely tune in for more games.
    I decided to go and root for the underdog Monty who more or less did his usual stuff. :)
    He was in a very good position to backstab Sury who was tied up against Peters forces, but then he instead declared on protective Charly instead who ended up taking Montys holy city.
    I like his glorious last stand, guarding his last city with 2 jaguars against 100 incomming cataphracts.

Next game seems kind of obvious how it will turn out map layout like this:

Alexander Genghis Tokugawa

Zara Kublai Bismark.

Peaceweights: Alexander+Genghis at 0. Toku and Kublai at 1, Zara and Bismark at 6.
    Zara is a good AI and is likely to perform well here, only reasonable competition I think is Kublai.

Zara will pick up a religion, and only other AI I can think of that would do so also is Kublai.
    How these spread might play a role since all the AIs care suprisingly much about religion.
    If they share religions will matter less, as that will only bring them up to causcious. But if there is a divide between Zara+Bismark and some of the others, I think they will get furious about Zara and Bismark early.

One on one, I believe Zara will defeat Kublai. Bismark will almost certainly be an non threatening ally of Zara too and with Kublai inbetween them, I think the odds are rigged against him.

Alexander and Genghis is as crazy as Monty, and could stir up some trouble, Genghis also has an opportunity (not clear if he will take it) to get a substantial land advantage due to imperialistic, if Toku stays passive as usual, and Alexander ventures on some early and futile war.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Didn't watch live, but did see your name and krikav's in the chat a few times.

Bonkers how bad the AI can be at times, bombing down defences with 1-2 siege instead of attacking a poorly defended city with 100+ Cataphracts. Strategically too. Hilarious when Justinian signed peace when he finally got his unique unit :lol: Still he ended up winning at a canter, which shows how good of an AI he is.

In my own games Zara usually does well, although that may not transfer to a setting like this. Genghis tends to be too aggressive for his own good, but maybe it will work out well here given the AI composition. Religious spread could impact a lot, like it did in the previous game.

10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

11. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Nice, Bismarck should be worth a try here (and almost nobody voted for him ~~).
    Competent leader at so-so peaceweight, good cap and wet wheat + cows site close.

12. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I have him for second, but I agree that he does have decent chances here.
    iirc he builds massive stacks of units (although seldom uses them), think that the psycos would have problems trying to pick him off and it might turn against them.
    I had to pick Kublai to win, mostly because I'm playing a game with him just now but he also does have abundant floodplains nearby, and I think that is really useful for the AIs

Alex first to die for me.

13. lymond

Biz probably sometimes has lots of units because he seldom uses them, as you say, but his unit prob is actually slightly above average. He may be worth a shot as a wildcard pick, especially given this crazy bunch, but I don't have a lot of faith in him as I've never really seem him do well in games. For a leader with a heavy military flavor he tends to be rather passive, and otherwise average to below techer. (I do like him as a human - great traits/okay techs)

Toku in these games always makes it interesting. He can really throw a wrench in the whole proceedings.

At a glance the starts seem fairly balanced. Kublai does not seem to have horses in proximity.

14. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal

I like Bismarck too, but sometimes he starts building too many wonders for his own good. In this Wolfpack he might get in serious trouble. Anyway, have him 2nd, hoping he stays out of trouble, while the maniacs crush eachothers sculls. Zara get allies and wins. Perhaps.

15. lymond

Crazy game! You won't believe who won! ;)

16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Totally wonderful! My predictions where rubbish, I know nothing of this game. :)

17. Rusten

Rusten Deity

The predictions are a fun addition. I was cheering for Alex all game as he was my risky pick to win, but in the end I gained more by his demise as it meant I got every other prediction right instead and stumbled my way into 1st. Thanks Toku!

Kaitzilla, krikav and lymond like this.
  18. lymond

God job, Rusty! Not many folks did well in this one.

19. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Congrats to getting a correct predition for a underdog! :)

20. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Just started the replay of game 6, 81% picked Mansa as winner..what?!
    He usually gets overrolled lol.