1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a quick question about pillaging

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Domain, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Domain

Domain Chieftain

So I have this habit of never pillaging tiles when im invading a nation ( I dont think ive ever really pillaged a distract outside of maybe air raids on industrial complex to help stop the AI from making units during a war) or besides maybe farms when my units are low. I mainly do this so that way once i take the city i can simply move my horde on and not have to really worry about repairing the city. Am I hurting my early game prospect by doing this? I dont see my strategy hurting much late game but for early game Im starting to think im giving myself a disadvantage but Im not really 100% on what tiles give what when pillaged outside the normal farm and mines?

Basically in short, What are your favorite tiles to pillage outside of Farms?

2. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Early game, all pillaging yields (25 science, culture or faith, or 50 gold) really help. Some cases where you have to be careful include strategic resources (if you have no other source of iron, for example) and eurekas (e.g. when you capture/build a 6th farm for feudalism, you need 6 unpillaged ones, repairing a farm after the fact doesn't trigger the inspiration).

3. Once Momias

Once Momias Chieftain

I am not a fan of pillaging for same reason of not have to repair then. But, i noticed that the AI does not repair the pillaged tiles quickly in cities i finally dont conquer. It passed many turns until the AI repaired several tiles. Maybe this is a great advantage at long term. Besides, Barbarians pillaged some tiles in my neighbour France, and happened the same. Perhaps its better sometimes to pillage more.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Well the efficiency experts will tell you unanimously that culture is the important thing early game. Getting to governments, envoys, Feudalism, Mercenaries and beyond as soon as possible is key to speeding up your early game so pillaging for culture is a must. My scout may even take a spare couple of turns and damage to pillage a CS culture tile while there is no warmongering points. 25 culture at a time I am making 10 per turn is quite a speed up.

There is more science tiles to pillage and these are less valuable but only slightly so and can be considered more valuable if your science is struggling for some reason. Taking an extra turn to get +100 science from pillaging may be worth doing but loosing that turn has to be considered also.

50 gold is not a small amount and playing as Victoria is often a way I will play catch up by buying. Purchasing is very powerful and should be something people are doing early game also. When you start managing your money well you realise the 50gold hotspots are worth it. Probably not as much as science and culture but situations can dictate that you become short on money just when you need to upgrade. Also very early, purchasing a slinger can shave a few turns off an early attack.

I have said before that despite all of the above I would consider pillaging farms superior to all. This heals a unit totally rather than a promotions 50%. The ability to attack a city over a river with just 1 MP is crazy and allows a horsemen to attack a city one turn without a ram, take 50-75% damage and next turn pillage heal for 3mp and attack the city again.
    Often when a city is about to fall I will have damaged troops on farms that do not need to attack. Healing them via pillage before I take the city means my army is fresh and ready for the next city, a key thing in lightening warfare.

Finally let’s talk luxuries and strategic resources. These are highly situational and pillaging these can severely cripple a civ, especially the strategics. A civ has 4 cities early and you pillage 4 luxuries they have.... they are quite miserable, this alone can make them capitulate earlier if you are not wanting to take cities by force.

To finally answer “am I hurting my early game” well it depends on what you wish in life. If you enjoy the early game struggle then you are probably hurting your game by pillaging. If you want your civ to advance faster and be better by T100 then the resounding answer will be yes. Is there moral benefit in not pillaging? Well farms are quite OP but the AI does this now so you are only doing what is right and designed. Are you damaging yourself by pillaging because things must be repaired? Well possibly if there is no worker around but I tend to have a few 1 charge workers around I do not want to use until Pyramids, I will certainly send 1-2 of these with my army because of precisely this situation.

In real life it was hard to stop an army pillaging, if you like immersive play I would pillage regardless.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    psi_overtake and Tony Rodd like this.
  5. psi_overtake

psi_overtake Chieftain

I've never pillaged anything I planned on keeping before reading this thread, but I'm trying it out now and it's great, especially with a card. Russia and I have been adversaries since ancient times and it's true that he's hardly touched pillaged improvements to repair them. It gives me a benefit while putting him at a disadvantage for as long as I can stay alive and keep scorching his side of the continent. It may not play out too well with human players, but against the comp it's pretty useful.

Victoria likes this.