Just a quick question...

Jaded_Feriluce

Dark Lord of the Regents
Hi, Im really new to this mod... and it looks excellent. Yet, Im having a really hard time getting started... not because of glitches, but mostly because I can't figure out how to make my cites more healthy. Would anyone be so kind as to give a noob some tips in starting new game? Thanks alot... also is it different for the different civs, or do they all play similar?

Hi Jaded,

1. Like in vanilla Civ, health comes from various plant bonus resources that you build bonus improvements on (dew collectors or plantations), augmented by buildings in some cases (like the water cache). You need to research techs like desert trade and more in order to get them connected (in Dune Wars tiles don't need roads to connect them to your trade network, but do need some early game techs).
2. Some buildings provide health directly, like the Mushtamal or (late-game) the hospital.
3. Don't stress if you have some negative health in the early game. It slows your growth a little, but doesn't halt it, you can still have excess water > unhealth.

The civs play at least somewhat differently, though we're still working on increasing their differentiation a little.

Fremen are the most different; their melee units can enter desert tiles on their own without transports.
Most of the other factions play reasonably close to each other, but have various UUs, unique resources and some UBs.
Also check out the leader traits; some traits have strong synergies with particular strategies. The Ixian Mechanized trait boosts Mech units and vehicles for example.

There are also quite big differences from using Arrakis Paradise civic or Arrakis Spice civic. Pick one of these, and don't change it; abandoning it can have severe consequences (all the civic specific buildings are lost).

Feel free to ask any questions you can't figure out, but do check the ingame Duneopedia, and the descriptions of the various religions (the different religions are quite different from each other in their effects and their spread mechanics) and new mechanics.

Hope you enjoy the mod.

Awesome, that was more than enough to get me started. I really like the way you've set up the civilpedia, so it should just take a little messing around to figure it all out. I was just worried about all the early unhealth.. I tend to play as a neat freak. lol Thanks alot for the tips. I can already tell Im going to really like this mod. It reminds me oddly enough of the first dune game I ever played on Sega CD. It was mostly a point and click affair, but later there was a top down strategy side to it where you could beat the Harkonians to end the game.... good times.

Continuing on health issues: Once you start getting some greenhouse type buildings up, and expanding somewhat, the health problems will often pretty much go away. (Unfortunately, a new system will be getting introduced in some patches, so you'll have to adjust for that when it comes.)

I was just worried about all the early unhealth.. I tend to play as a neat freak.

Me too! Having those green clouds on most of my cities drives me nuts. :)

I've thought for a while about having a different/more subtle visual indication of bad health.

Ahriman has talked about redesigning health before - see point 8 in the opening post here.

Yeah, that would be a great idea... the way it looks it just feels dire! Well I'll adjust to it in any case now that I know it's normal and Im not missing something vital! Really, thanks for all the feedback too! This has to be the quickest responce I've ever gotten from a forum on here before!

Top Bottom