1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Just another opinion.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nekom, Sep 21, 2010.

1. nekom

nekom Chieftain

Got it today, and I'm nowhere near through my first game (I play Marathon games, always have, always will. ), but here's my initial take:

Download: I pre-ordered and didn't get back from work until about 5:00 Eastern time. Download was easy (direct2drive preorder which directed me to Steam's website), took less than an hour. I've got a 20MB connection on the worst of days, 30+ on the best, and their servers seemed to work fine.

Performance: No trouble whatsoever, however I have a rather high end system... that I bought TO PLAY THIS GAME! Well, I needed a new one anyway, but this was the tipping point. No crashes, graphics maxed out, this is on a quad core Intel 64 bit machine with 8GB ram and 1GB video ram. Absolutely no troubles, yet anyway.

Gameplay: Well... This is NOT Civ 4, which is a good thing in my mind. I did not want a rehash of 4, I already have 4. This is... VERY different. It will take some getting used to. I opted to choose a civ at random, and I'm Monty the 1st round. Barbarians seem to be a good source of gold, and this whole city state thing is VERY intriguing.

How long will I play tonight: Well I'm out of vacation days this year or I would have taken tomorrow off, but I might call off anyway.

My verdict: Even without finishing a game, I do not regret in any way, shape or form buying this game. Whether or not it will retain the same replay value as 4 (I bought 4 the day it came out, and played a game of it within the last few weeks. I can't say the same of any other game), but I'll be playing this one for awhile.

Can't wait for the patches, expansions, and... OH the mods! I give it nine thumbs up.

2. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I agree with this it is awesome im so glad they didnt mess it up like in Civ 4

3. nekom

nekom Chieftain

Oh, but what IS the deal with rivers? Yeah they're going to need to fix THAT nasty business, that's my only major gripe.