Just as we get near a final 1.21f patch..

just thinking... why don't you port the 1.29f patch over to mac w/o the new editor features (only new rules/chanes)? At least Mac players could still play with others who use PC. If 1.29 is not ported to Mac, the Mac civ3 community will be rendered isolated and almost dead.

Originally posted by Exsanguination
just thinking... why don't you port the 1.29f patch over to mac w/o the new editor features (only new rules/chanes)? At least Mac players could still play with others who use PC. If 1.29 is not ported to Mac, the Mac civ3 community will be rendered isolated and almost dead.

Evidently, it is because the changes affect the editor in some way. You're right, we're DEAD! :die: I barely surfed the forums while waiting on 1.21f (open-beta) because of the obvious. Soon, with 1.29f out and us mac-gamers never seeing it, there will be little reason to be here at all.

:aargh3: :aargh3: :aargh3: :aargh3: :aargh3: :aargh3: :aargh3: :aargh3:

Originally posted by dojoboy
Well, enough said. I'll enjoy 1.21f w/ the editor (I'll have OS X by the end of the week.).

EU2 for Christmas! Cannot wait! I've got the fansites bookmarked and ready to go

Why buy OS X now with Jaguar (an incredible upgrade, from what I hear) coming August 24th?

I agree with you about EU2. Did you know that Heroes of Might and Magic IV is coming at about the same time? Civ III, EU2, HoMM IV and MoO III (due October or so) will meet my gaming needs for the next couple of years. I'm in heaven! :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by 'Copter Pilot
Ok, if there won't be 1.29 for us, shall we organise the first Mac-only 1.21f GOTM?

Yea, and let's invite Firaxis/Infogrames/Macsoft to select the game-settings! :mad:

(1) Raging Barbarians
(2) Random Map (who knows what we'll get)
(3) beta-patch version (still waiting on the final version)
(4) # of civs = 5 (the number of civ3 mac gamers left)
(5) difficulty level = 'Bend-Over' (much harder than deity)

Sorry, this is unlike me. ;)

No decisions have been made yet as to what will happen with 1.29f on the Mac. Until we have had a chance to see the patch and discuss all the ramifications with Brad and Westlake as well as with Firaxis, we won't know what happens next. We appreciate the interest everyone is taking in this, and we will definitely take that into consideration as we go forward. Please give us a little time to investigate all the possiblities.

Originally posted by Nate Birkholz
No decisions have been made yet as to what will happen with 1.29f on the Mac. Until we have had a chance to see the patch and discuss all the ramifications with Brad and Westlake as well as with Firaxis, we won't know what happens next. We appreciate the interest everyone is taking in this, and we will definitely take that into consideration as we go forward. Please give us a little time to investigate all the possiblities.

Thank you for your attention to our concerns. I am very glad that this is being looked at and that our opinions do seem to matter. I really appreciate it.

lol - Firm and calming huh? Well, I *did* send them the link to this thread, so I guess I helped a little. :)

I just hope that we will get the 1.29f patch and editor. Would be very nice.

While everyone seems so upset about "Schrodinger's Mac-1.29"-patch (it only seems to exists in a semi-continuous state of (non)-being as long as we don't try to observe it).

May I remind you of the "real" Freeciv in the meantime? Mac players and beta testers for Freeciv 1.13 OSX (and ver 1.14+) are always welcome.

Originally posted by CapTVK
..... (it only seems to exists in a semi-continuous state of (non)-being as long as we don't try to observe it).

It looks like Buddha has registered at Civfanatics! Welcome Buddha!!! :yinyang:

;)

I stayed out of this thread because I have been enjoying SW:GB so much--I have a real editor and can play around with the game as much as I like. Also, the Editor on Warcraft III is awesome!

However, I must say that I would love to have a 'valid' and full-featured Civ3. What sold me on Civ2 and SMAC/X was the overwhelming creative support of the community of players. That almost surpassed the the flagrant market interests of the developers and the publishers. I can understand their concerns and have no resentment towards that. As players, we should remember that publishers' interests are different to ours. No Product Manager is going to be promoted because they have a high statistic of "number of happy and gob-smacked Mac players". They will always be measured on "number of units sold".

Something needs to be done to perpetuate Civ3 as a game with great possibilities for Mac players. I have enjoyed it, but it remains flawed, incomplete and--without an Editor--incapable of realising some of my games fantasies of re-playing certain historical eras (such as the Age of Sail or the Peninsular War). Additionally, I don't want to feel second class because I made a decision to purchase a creatively-balanced computer as opposed to following the masses.

Nate Birkholz: thank you for following this thread. I hope that our passion and commitment is also matched by the number of worldwide sales to Mac players.

David: well done for extending the communication lines.

As David has said here in these forums, the editor is the problem. I for one have not used the editor once. Maybe I'm missing out on some great stuff by not using the editor. However I would a happier gamer when the game itself stayed par with the pc version. My suggestion to David: get the patch out which, in his own words is a no brainer. And when you have the time get the editor working with 1.29f. Maybe get a little poll going on how much the editor is wanted...

Thank you for getting this great game available to the Mac.

Ok, well ... I dunno if this is has already been said, but why can't we let the Mac gamers decide whether they want to upgrade to 1.29 for the game and just not be able to use the editor

I myself have not attempted the daunting task of creating a scenario and whatnot, but I would very much like to be able to play the same scenarios with my 1.29 PC friends...

I understand the 1.21 and 1.29, the issues with the editor, etc., but what about Play the World? If the Mac gets Play the World (which includes the multiplayer, right?), there would most likely be even more revisions to the civ editor... but if PTW did make its way to the Mac, wouldn't that project allow the time to work on the editor? (and maybe skip unnecessary work on any versions in-between?)

Would a conversion tool for modmakers be totally out of the question? (i.e., a tool that would make .21 playable on .29 or vice versa?)

From elsewhere on this site:

"German magazine PC Games published some bad news for German Civ3 players: Infogrames told PC Games that there will be no German version of the latest Civ3 patch (1.29f). However, a later patch that includes all changes from 1.29f is not impossible."

So somebody else is stuck at 1.21. Infogrames really knows how to win friends and influence people. :spank:

Time to discuss our options:

All right, let's get down to brass tacks. I'm as mad as anybody else here about the situation that Infogrames has left us in, but I'd like to discuss what we are going to do about this situation. Let me preface these options by saying that, to me, mods and scenarios are the PRIMARY reason for buying Civ3. I'm sorry, but after owning the game for about two weeks, I'm bored with the it already. I would not have bought it if I had known about these problems.

However, with that in mind, lets look at our options, and what we as the Mac Civ3 community can do about it:

1. Optimum solution -- we get version 1.29f soon, with or without the editor. Obviously this one is very largely out of our hands, but if there is anyway we can put the pressure on Infogrames/MacSoft to make this happen we should.

2. If #1 above won't happen, and we are stuck indefinitely at 1.21f, then as Ancestral mentioned above, it would be great if there were some way to "down-convert" PC created mods and scenarios to work with version 1.21. I don't know what it is about these files that makes them specific to the version of the game, but it may not be difficult to convert them. Perhaps a simple Windows program would allow the mod-makers to do this, or even a simple Mac program to allow us to do it on this end? Brad may have to address the feasibility of this . . .

3. If neither of the above are possible, then since we will have a Mac editor soon (I hope) at version 1.21, then at that point it will be time for us Mac users to band together and start making our own mods and scenarios, just for us. We would be re-creating the wheel in some sense, but if #1 and #2 won't happen, I guess we won't have much choice.

That's how I see our options at this point. It's outrageous that we are even having to discuss options #2 and #3, but others have vented their frustrations here very well, so we all know it sucks. All I know is if I don't get to play a World War 2 scenario with Civ3, I'm going to be one UNhappy camper!

Thoughts on the above options?

Top Bottom