Just bought Civ3 Complete

zxcvbob

Emperor
I've been playing Civ5 for several years, and Civ6 for a couple of months but I'm not very good at 6 yet (getting better) Steam codes for Civ 3 were on sale at gamersgate for less than $1 and I couldn't pass that up.

Where to start? Just jump it? I was talking to a guy at work today who has played almost all the Civ franchise games going way back (mostly multiplayer with his brothers); 3 sounds kind of like 6.

I need to finish my current Civ5 epic-pace game first, but then want to download and install Civ3. I've heard there are problems with CIv3 and Windows 10, but all my computers are Win 7 right now.

I've been playing Civ5 for several years, and Civ6 for a couple of months but I'm not very good at 6 yet (getting better) Steam codes for Civ 3 were on sale at gamersgate for less than $1 and I couldn't pass that up.

Where to start? Just jump it? I was talking to a guy at work today who has played almost all the Civ franchise games going way back (mostly multiplayer with his brothers); 3 sounds kind of like 6.

I need to finish my current Civ5 epic-pace game first, but then want to download and install Civ3. I've heard there are problems with CIv3 and Windows 10, but all my computers are Win 7 right now.

Steam Civ3 works just fine on Windows 10, though you may need to run compatibility.

Civ3 is quite different from later civs, so you will need time to adjust. Dont just give up before understanding everything. Tile management is simpler, but you still need to take care what you decide to put on what (mine or irrigation) and still do everything efficiently. Efficiency is very important if you want to go up the difficulty lvls. Look at civilopedia to try and understand things you do not. You can look on here for various efficient gameplay strategies as well, like settler factories.

If the Steam edition contains the manual in pdf format, I highly recommend reading it. Still remember when I read it 15 years ago, I said to myself "wow finally a game with a well-written manual". (A few details got changed in subsequent patches, so the manual may be out of date with respect to these details, but it'll give you the big picture very nicely.)
Once you are familiar with the basics, come back here and check out the War Academy. Lots of good strategy guides there!

The Civ3 Complete game that I bought originally had one of the best game manuals I have seen, with the only other one comparable being that for the Age of Empires 2 game. I would highly recommend at least skimming the manual before charging into the game, and also do not immediately start off at the Deity or Sid level. Play a couple of game at the Chieftain or Warlord level first to get the mechanics down.

I downloaded a PDF of the Civ 3 manual from somewhere. It is a good manual. But mostly I'm still playing civ 5 and 6; haven't done much with 3. The biggest turn-off is I have to select an action every turn for every unit (including move to a new square)

I downloaded a PDF of the Civ 3 manual from somewhere. It is a good manual. But mostly I'm still playing civ 5 and 6; haven't done much with 3. The biggest turn-off is I have to select an action every turn for every unit (including move to a new square)
You don't have to do that in Civ5 or Civ6 (I never played them)? So, what, those games force the player to let the game-AI decide where units go/ what they do? Wow, no wonder a lot of longtime Civ-players were/are annoyed at Firaxis... ;) :lol:

That said, Civ3 also offers this ability, so -- if you don't want to -- you're not actually obliged to move each unit individually, 1 tile/turn at a time in this game either. Bear in mind though, the Civ3 game-AI is pretty dumb, so you may not always (read: ever!) get optimal results if you rely on it to make your decisions for you.

For all units, you can use the 'GoTo' command ('G'*, or just click on the destination-tile) to get a unit to 'remember' where it's supposed to go, if getting there will take more than 1 turn. (But if you choose to auto-move your Settlers, make sure your road is clear of barb-camps/ hostile units first!). You can also apply a GoTo command to a unit-stack, either as a full stack (hit 'J' or 'X'), or by unit-type ('Ctrl-J' or Ctrl-X'). Finally, in the late game (preferably after you have a full rail-net, so you don't waste unit-moves), you can use 'Rally Points' (one RP per town) or 'Continental Rally Points' (one per civ, I think, but it might be one CRP per continent) to send a newly completed unit(s) to its intended destination(s). For ordinary RPs, right-click on the city(s) building a unit(s) that you want to assemble into a stack, click on 'Set Rally Point', then click on the tile where you want to assemble your unit-stack; for CRPs, right-click on any land-tile, click on 'Set Continental Rally Point', then click on your chosen tile.

And for Workers, you can use one of the many 'Automate [Worker-job]' commands (hit 'Ctrl-P' to get into the Game Preferences menu, then check the box 'Show Advanced Unit-action Buttons' to see all the possible Worker-commands displayed on the main screen). Though as I say, if you do this, your tiles won't necessarily get improved in any logical order/ useful fashion, so don't expect any easy wins at anything above about Warlord-Regent levels (where the human player gets a 33% [IIRC] to 0% production-discount relative to the AI-controlled Civs).

At Emp and above, AI-Civs get a ≥20% production-discount, plus (multiple) extra units to start (including extra Workers, and extra Settler(s) at DemiGod+), so it's usually best to avoid automating any units -- especially your Workers -- during the early game, and/or before your territory is fully Railed.

*Clicking the Unit-action buttons by mouse can get tedious, and also risks misclicks as the game cycles through the units, so I tend to use the keyboard to give my units their orders -- especially my Workers. Although I'm pretty sure all the Civ3 keyboard-commands were/are detailed in the Manual, hovering your cursor over any Unit-action button will also show you the specific key-combo for that action. Somewhere on CFC -- maybe here? -- there is (or was) a PDF-download which also lists them (along with lots of other useful 'at-a-glance' info).

Last edited:
Also, if you've moved all the units you want to, clicking on the next turn button (I think it looks like a little sun, but YMMV) takes you to the next turn - your automated guys still will do their thing, but it ends the turn of the ones under manual control.

Biggest thing to remember is that ... units stack. As deep as you want. Once you get your empire running with a few cities, you can put two workers on a hill and build that mine twice as fast. You can put 3, 4, 10 swordsmen on a tile and move them as a stack to go attack a city. Let your imagination go ...

2nd biggest thing to remember is that ... cities don't defend themselves any more. Put a unit in a border city to keep an enemy from just walking in and conquering it. You can put more than one defender in the city -- and may want to, if you have been surprise attacked -- but don't overdo the city garrisons with cities that are far away from the frontier.

Also, units don't swim in Civ3. You will need to build boats, and load the land units onto the boats. As you progress up the tech tree, the boats hold more and more.

Top Bottom