Just call me crazy...

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
Violence erupts for 2nd night in Berkeley protest

From Associated Press
December 08, 2014 3:02 AM EST

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) — A second night of protest against police killings in Missouri and New York turned violent again in Berkeley as some demonstrators threw rocks and bottles at officers, assaulted each other and shut down a freeway, police said.

Sunday's protest began peacefully on the University of California, Berkeley campus. But as protesters marched through downtown Berkeley toward the neighboring city of Oakland, the unrest resumed as someone smashed the window of a Radio Shack. When a protester tried to stop the growing vandalism, he was hit with a hammer, Officer Jennifer Coats said.

Some of the protesters made their way to a freeway in Oakland and blocked traffic. The California Highway Patrol said some tried to light a patrol vehicle on fire and threw rocks and bottles. Police also said explosives were thrown at officers, but there was no information immediately available on how potent they were. Highway patrol officers responded with tear gas.

The highway patrol said it was making arrests but no figures were available.

Late Sunday night, police said protesters returned to Berkeley streets, throwing trash cans, scattering garbage and sparking small blazes. Police said several businesses were damaged and looted, and they were checking reports of vandalism at City Hall.

The demonstrations were the latest of several in the Bay Area — including in Oakland where activism is strong — in recent days to protest grand jury decisions in Missouri and New York not to indict while police officers in the deaths of two black men.

On Saturday night, three officers and a technician were hurt and six people were arrested when a similar protest turned unruly. The most serious injury was a dislocated shoulder, Berkeley police said.

Seven people were arrested in Seattle Saturday night after protesters threw rocks at police and attempted to block a highway. Politicians on both sides of the aisle have been calling for calm while activists push for police reforms. NAACP president Cornell William Brooks, appearing on CBS' "Face the Nation," called for outfitting police with body-worn cameras and changing law enforcement policy.

"We have to change the model of policing," Brooks said.

Ohio's Republican governor said the unrest underscores the need for political leaders to be inclusive and to unite, not divide.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said on ABC's "This Week" that a "significant percentage" of the country believes the system's not working for them and can be working against them.

"They need to be listened to and they need to be responded to," Kasich said. "In our country today, there's too much division, too much polarization — black, white; rich, poor; Democrat, Republican. America does best when we're united."

The unrest in Berkeley follows violent disruptions of demonstrations in San Francisco and Oakland in recent days. Five San Francisco police officers sought medical treatment after sustaining injuries during a protest in downtown San Francisco on Black Friday.

On Saturday night, protesters broke away from a peaceful demonstration and began throwing rocks, bottles and pipes at officers.

Scores of law officers from several surrounding agencies joined the Berkeley Police Department in trying to quell unrest that went on for hours.

Coats said several businesses on University Avenue were vandalized, including Trader Joe's, Radio Shack and a Wells Fargo Bank branch. She said demonstrators threw wrenches, smoke grenades and other objects at officers, and some squad cars were damaged.

She said officers attempting to get the crowd to depart used tear gas.

"Several dispersal orders have been given, and the crowd has ignored the orders. In response to the violence, officers have utilized tear gas and smoke in an effort to disperse the crowd," she said.

Local media reports said about 300 to 400 people participated in the relatively peaceful demonstration before splinter groups broke off.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that at one point, the marchers were face to face with a line of about 100 police in riot gear who turned the crowd back.

The newspaper said that it wasn't just protesters who were hit by tear gas.

Several concerts had let out from downtown sites and concertgoers waiting to pay in a nearby garage were enveloped in a cloud of stinging gas, sending them running into elevators.

KCBS reported that police closed two Bay Area Rapid Transit commuter train stations along the protest route.

Protesters had planned to march from the University of California, Berkeley, campus to Oakland's Civic Center.

Spoiler :
I apologize in advance to the mods here at CFC because I'm sure this thread may end badly and with a lock. I also apologize to all the people who are truly working to make the world a better place through peaceful, constructive means. I'm very sorry. However, I really don't know what else to do while I read of all the chaos erupting in the world around me at the moment. It really is sort of scary to me.

First off, I will admit, my life has not been anything to brag about either. Here in my late 40's, I've never been able to afford to live on my own (so I've lived with my parents all my life). I've never had a serious relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I've never had a stable career and dropped out of college due to illness. I have "ADHD" and "schizoaffective disorder" (whatever they are). I have sleep apnea (which will probably kill me with a stroke one of these days). I've pretty much given up on ever having a successful life of any kind at this point. I figure I'll just go to my grave a lonely old bachelor with mental issues. Such is life. Stuff happens sometimes and we're not all going to live in a rose garden. I accept that.

But do I get out and smash windows, and assault other people because I'm angry with my lot in life or because I think I'm "standing up for justice" (or whatever it is these people think they are doing)? No. Maybe I should do that? Maybe it's a great way to pick up "chicks" or something? I really don't get what is wrong with some people.

I mean, who are these protesters? Are they UC Berkeley students? If so, what are they doing at one of the most prestigious schools in the country? Don't they have exams to keep them busy studying for? Are they worried their trust funds may give out someday? Or if they don't have trust funds, is this what happens when the poor are given an education at one of the top schools in the country? Are they worried they may not be able to find a decent job in the future? What in God's name are they upset about and who do they think is going to magically fix all the world's problems in answer to their demands? Are they protesting to God, the Buddha, or Brahmin? Or is Obama going to summon Jesus to fix everything.

Many of us would really just like to finish out what's left of our lives with some semblance of relative peace. Apparently that's just not what these students want. Which brings me to the question, what exactly DO they want? Does anyone happen to know? Does anyone else happen to feel the way I do about the situation (somewhat frightened and uncertain) or am I just being ignorant and crazy as usual?

Thank you for any sensible replies.

Which brings me to the question, what exactly DO they want? Does anyone happen to know?

They want the US to implode from inside and disintegrate, like so many empires before it.

Note that this is exactly how the Roman Empire fell apart. Barbarian immigrants felt discriminated.

Nothing to worry about, though - this is just a normal, repetitive event in world's history.

It's blowing up my news feed. I was busy in downtown suburbia watching video games in a hockey stadium.

Every two years the police start attacking peaceful student protestors. Been that way since at least when I started. That there was an attached destruction of Berkeley property is unfortunate and out of character.

It's blowing up my news feed. I was busy in downtown suburbia watching video games in a hockey stadium.

Every two years the police start attacking peaceful student protestors. Been that way since at least when I started. That there was an attached destruction of Berkeley property is unfortunate and out of character.

Do the police just start "attacking" them for no reason? Sounds like there was a lot of vandalism going on. :confused:

People like to riot from time to time.

Just keep off the streets and you should be fine.

If you have a gun and a business then you better go in and protect it.

(100% my own post)

The most violent of rioters in Ferguson have gone back home and are now rioting in their towns. (just kidding, I obviously can't prove that).

So when the rioting happened in Ferguson we heard that it proves that there is a distrust between the citizens and police. I guess then that also means there is a distrust between the local populace in Berkeley and now Oakland too.

If your team wins, why not riot.

Because rioting when your team loses is so much better. :rolleyes:
(not sure if it's happened in Australia, but a common critique of America is we riot when we win rather than when we lose, like happens in other countries.

Which brings me to the question, what exactly DO they want? Does anyone happen to know? Does anyone else happen to feel the way I do about the situation (somewhat frightened and uncertain) or am I just being ignorant and crazy as usual?

Thank you for any sensible replies.
I'm not sure if you're asking about the protests or the violence. The protests are over the grand jury non-indictments of Darren Wilson and Daniel Pantaleo in the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, as they expose the wider problem of the legal system's failure to manage police misconduct. The violence may or may not be about the same thing. Setting fire to a police car seems like it could be a political statement to me; looting a neighborhood store does not.

Protests like this are frequently only loosely organized, and there are often trouble-makers on both sides. A march in New York City divided and literally went in two different directions, and a police officer in Boston is being investigated for his use of pepper spray during a peaceful demonstration.

Most of those are sports related, don't tell me people don't riot in Australia over sports. The US is close in population size to Europe so compare the US to all of Europe for example and not just one country, such as Australia.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...791145930?nk=8112832dd420801cd352ee7427c129bf

The exception being the Pumpkin Festival and that sounds like what happened in my area 15 years ago with the canoe races.

Just like Keene, La Crosse is a college town. Both have an event that attracts thousands of people into the small town, many from out of the area. Then the bar scene at night is much larger than normal, giving people more anonymity in the large crowd for those that want to cause trouble. Some would come to the area, not for the canoe races, but for the bar scene that night, and then after the first riot more would make the annual trip just for the chance of a riot. Few college aged kids would be at the canoe races, yet the rioters were mostly college aged.

I'm not sure if you're asking about the protests or the violence. The protests are over the grand jury non-indictments of Darren Wilson and Daniel Pantaleo in the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, as they expose the wider problem of the legal system's failure to manage police misconduct. The violence may or may not be about the same thing. Setting fire to a police car seems like it could be a political statement to me; looting a neighborhood store does not.

Protests like this are frequently only loosely organized, and there are often trouble-makers on both sides. A march in New York City divided and literally went in two different directions, and a police officer in Boston is being investigated for his use of pepper spray during a peaceful demonstration.

OK, but when you say "police misconduct" you appear to be overturning the judgment of the grand juries. Are you privy to information on the cases the rest of us aren't? The grand juries examined the evidence and found that it was not "police misconduct". Are we going to resort to mob rule now? If an angry mob decides that a trial gave the wrong verdict should we reverse the decision based on what the mob wants? Isn't that why they have grand juries to begin with, to ensure that sensible justice prevails?

What does anyone think protests will accomplish, raise "awareness?" I don't think they can reverse the grand jury decisions not to indict the officers.

The reason conservatives are politically so successful is because scared and angry conservative voters enact change by voting.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418056232.756371.jpg

So they actually influence politics, while demonstrating college students who think they can change the world get politically dominated by older conservatives.

Top Bottom