Just discovered this GREAT game!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Haig, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Haig

Haig Deity

All right,
    I became a Civ IV addict and it's probably my favorite game ever.
    Civ V and CivRev are after initial excitements boring, never played Civ II.

After hearing how many people have Civ III Conquests as their fave Civ, I decided to get it and DAMN I'm happy with it.

I've been playing it side-to-side with Civ IV Bts now, (Civ V has been collecting dust after the last march patch..) and even though III and IV are pretty different in many cases, they are both damn sweet.

In Civ III I love the versability and the detail of the game, still I occasionally try to zoom map in as in Civ IV though.. :blush:

I like the diplomacy system and the civs, and it has it's own flavor in expansing, dealing with barbarians etc.
    It's also a fresh feeling to discover the differences with nations and goverments.

This is how it should have felt with getting Civ V. ;)

Now I'll start roaming the war academy archives and see what I can learn..

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

IV and V are collecting dust right. BTW a new patch came out on the 28th for V. Welcome to the game.

3. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

Hey Haig, I've seen some of your posts over in the Civ5 and Civ4 forums, but welcome to Civ3!

Civ3 is definitely my favorite of the series since I never really got into Civ4 and Civ5 is kind of dissapointing in almost every way (though it does have hope for a future). I'd definitely suggest checking out the War Academy. When I first joined CFC, I was playing warlord or regent, but I can now play on Emperor thanks to advice and the WA.

Happy Civving!

4. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I have CIV and its two expansions, but it doesn't keep me coming back like Civ3.

5. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Same here. That's my variety - I go from IV to III and back again. Games are quite different. Also, I have an older computer and III runs better on it.

It is unfortunate and discouraging that V was so bad. If this is the future, we're stuck with III and IV. Oh well, at least there are mods.

6. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I like the other games, but I play Civ 3 a whole lot more.

7. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

This thread cheers me up. Still like Civ III best even though I have Civ IV and (sadly) Civ V.

8. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Maybe a civ3 revised all in a box with source code and new editor would surpass all later versions?

9. Diviner

Diviner Prince

That would be good. Though I don't think source code would ever be released. There were at least two serious efforts to obtain it few years back, but both failed. All 2k answered was that 'they will never release any source code in any way' :(

10. Miroslav I

Miroslav I Warlord

I even still play civ2 and is enough enjoyable in multiplayer mode. I checked Civ4 and wasn't get into it and never tried Civ5 (yet). So I like Civ3 the most. What is the secret?
    I also noticed the same in other games - new version just can't be as playable as older. Why?
    Because it becomes too complex! If you were fan of Orion than you definitely like Orion2 even more than original but are not enthusiastic about Orion3, right? And about Heroes of might and magic - third sequel is still the best in that series because it is the most playable. When game becomes too complex in next sequel it also lost in playability. And the best of one game is not superior graphics nor bunch of "new" things, it is that feeling in player when he is in a multiplayer game with his friends that can be achieved only when the game is most playable.

Miroslav

11. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I dislike IV on many levels and don't have V (I expect I'll dislike it as well and for that reason am reluctant to try). Civ III is still the best of the Civilization series, to me.

12. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

The later versions are to small and to slow, imo. Slow being my computer, btw.

13. Theov

Theov Deity

Love I, II and mostly 3.
    Civ IV was ok. Bit too one dimensional.
    5 I don't care.

14. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Sorry, you are not right about the game Master of Orion. I´m a big fan of MOO I, I was disapointed about MOO2 and MOO3 was .... (no comment, that can be written here). I am such a fan of MOO I, that I integrated greater parts of that game in my current Civ 2 ToT New SciFI game (with simply animated spaceships for Civ 2, including the guardian). :) :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=421505

15. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I don't think he is wrong about Moo1/2. I go back and forth prefer I over II, then decide I like II over I. I give II the edge in that it has more replay value with the race picks and ship upgrades.

You toss in MP and a fair person has to give the edge to II. Even though I list Civ2 and then Moo1 as my top two for years. I dropped civ2 in favor of Civ3.

As to Homm, well I prefer III as well.

16. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

MOO 2 was much too easy in my eyes. I mostly could win by election in the highest difficulty level with only building a handful of small scoutships.

Even when I decided that the only way for acceptable winning is conquering the complete galaxy, MOO 2 wasn´t so much fun for me. In spacebattles there was a lot more place to manouvre the ships (and hide between asteroids) as in MOO 1. I also liked the repulsorbeam that wasn´t in MOO 2.

Concerning Civ 2 and Civ 3 I really miss the events of Civ 2 and sometimes I reflect, if Civ 2 ToT wouldn´t be the better game, if we could transport the Civ 3 units to Civ 2 ToT. In Civ 2 ToT unit animations are possible (so only in 64x64 format and Firaxis forgot to include defensive graphics in their sprites: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10217483&postcount=9), but in Civ 3 there is no chance to add the events to gameplay. Additionally it´s not possible to play on multiple maps in any other version of the Civ series than in Civ 2 ToT.

Civ 4 for me was only boring, even with the newest mods and after the dissapointment with Civ 4 and the lousy 3D-graphics engine, and the weired sight of the world, I decided not to pay Civ 5 - and until now it seems, this was a good decision.

17. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

I now play CIV more often, but I still enjoy Civ3 and its mods.

18. Haig

Haig Deity

I've had my gluteus maximus handed to me now couple of times... on chieftain.

Been playing random civ, and playing with Byzantine was a BLAST.
    The Dromon is awesome for ruling the waves in ancient times, it's great how you can destroy the enemy's coastal improvements so early.

Reading stuff in war academy, seems to me that I have a case of "Wonder addiction", a lot of energy goes to trying to get all the wonders and now trying to avoid that..

Current game is with England, I love the seafaring civilizations. Maybe should have beelined for Man-o-wars from the start, I decided that after suffering insults and demands from zulus for 600 years it's time to make a punitive campaign against those savages..

19. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

The best way to handle wonder addiction is to compartmentalize it. Get your wonder jones by doing 20K games. Other victory types are far less conducive to wonder building, so building them often slows you down. Better to capture, usually.

20. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

If you are on Chief, wonder building will not hurt you. It is the worker use that is probably the issue. Even on Warlord, you can make as many wonders as you like with few problem, as long as the empire is well managed.