Just Finished My First Game!

WabeWalker

Chieftain
Woot! Woot!

The previous version of Civilization that I owned was the original DOS version - Johnny Wilson, then editor-in-chief at Computer Gaming World, was so enthusiastic about Civilization that it was virtually impossible, if you were a subscriber of his magazine, to ignore Sid's landmark title.

Computer Gaming World eventually published a handy little strategy guide in one of its issues.

Here's what you had to do, they said, in order to succeed at the higher levels of play. Start generating cities, they said, and don't stop generating cities until you've run out of space. Locate a choke point then build up a massive army on that spot so that other civilizations can't get into your territory. Also, make sure you get The Pyramids. If you get The Pyramids, they said, then it's almost impossible to lose the game.

Well I've just finished playing my first game of Civ4 and what a nasty little surpise it was to discover that my old strategy from about twenty years ago no longer works.

Almost immediately I had eight cities in place. Eight gorgeous little cities. Except I was spending so much money on upkeep, or on maintenance as its called, that my science rate had dropped to zero. And suddenly all my people were going on strike since I couldn't afford to pay them! And soon enough the computer opponents had all decided that I was so far down the tech tree that, what the hell, they might as well all invade at the exact same time, and then fight one another over the scraps of my once glorious empire.

This, I kid you not, was like a splash of cold water on the face. The grin vanished from my face like breath off a razor blade.

It was like being hit on the head with a hammer. I was so dissapointed! My old strategy had gone bust!

All right. I get it. I'm going to have to figure out a whole new way to play this game. Woot! Woot! I knew there was a reason (beyond the updated graphics) I had spent sixty dollars on this title!

Ah, good. Make sure to use Aggressive AI :p

That aside, Civ is one of the few games that makes massive improvements every iteration. Go into the original Civ IV (not BTS) and play the tutorial.

One of the main point behind CivIV developpement was: eliminate ICS (infinite City Sprawling). So well, yes, they did everything so that your old strategy don't function anymore ;)

Read the strategy articles elsewhere on this forum. Read the War Academy.

But here's a couple of pointers....
Start SMALL - 4 or 5 cities at most.
Build LOTS of cottages & farms. Cottages keep the money rolling in.

I like to research Bronze Working. With luck, you will have copper you can mine nearby. Bronze Working allows you to switch to Slavery - which in turn allows you to rush what you are building. This costs population, but early on, that is NOT bad. The cities usually recover quickly.

Build Granaries to aid in city growth.

If you have copper nearby, mine it. Connect all your cities. (Some will automatically connect, because of being on the same river. Others you will have to build roads.) Build LOTS of Axemen. Go kill barbarians, barbarian cities and/or other nearby cities. Attack with a 2-1 ratio of axemen - defenders. You will very likely win lots of early cities this way. Don't keep them all. Maintenance will kill you. You can "whip" (rush) lots of axemen, but watch out for the unhappiness. Don't do it too often.

Hope this helps with a couple of starting ideas.

Ah, but I see that being the first civ to produce Riflemen still provides an inordinate advantage when commencing a war! Those good old Riflemen units! - at least some things don't change.

lol my first game of Civ4 I used my Civ3 Strategy which was build a military wall on my borders or where I wanted to Expand.. Imagine my suprise when they plant a city on my units lol.

I use to be Militayr first wonders second, thinkin I'd just take what I didn't get, now im wonders first military second, I keep decent size military and try for 3 cities as soon as possible, so 2 can build wonders 1 can build units and improvements, and eventually switch it, and add more Cities.

were you really "surprised" that a strategy from a game 20 years old does not work on a new one today?

were you really "surprised" that a strategy from a game 20 years old does not work on a new one today?

What! Absolutely I was!

Didn't REXing (I had no idea it was called that) work in Civ2? Didn't it work in Civ3? Why would I think it wouldn't work in Civ4? I'll bet that I wasn't the only person whose first game of Civ4 ended in disaster from building too many cities too quickly.

I'll bet that thousands of people made this mistake.

Indeed the only way I can see anybody avoiding this mistake was if they had known in advance that the developers had discovered a way to make it impossible for players to REX. This would mean that you had either A) been following the game's development from the start, B) read the back of the manual, where the developer writes about his intentions with Civ4, or C) watched 'The Making Of Civ4' DVD included with the gold edtion.

I did none of those things.

So, yeah, of course I was surprised that REXing didn't work.

Indeed the only way I can see anybody avoiding this mistake was...

Actually it's written in my CivIV; I don't know if you have it, but in any case every people owning it should be aware that REXing cannot function as before :p

Top Bottom