1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just for fun: Anyone give their cities weird names?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Lemon Merchant, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

After 5 or 6 games of BTS I got a little tired of the default city names and began naming my cities after psychiatric medications. Eg. Haloperidol, Lithium, Prozac, etc. Then I switched to diseases: Rubella, Sarcosis, etc. It adds just enough weirdness to the game to give you a little smile when you've just lost that 5th Mechanized Infantry unit to a Catapult. :cry:

Does anyone else do this? Stand up and be counted! Give us your weird/bizarre city names! Fight the tyranny!

2. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

Last game I played as Khmer I called my cities REALLY weird names: Yasodharapura, Hariharalaya, Angkor Thom, Pre Rup, Banteay Kdei. Strange stuff.

3. Crowqueen

Crowqueen Token forum woman

If I'm playing as a Civ for which I can download a RW map, I name all my conquered cities after names on the map that don't appear in the game XML files. If not I don't tend to rename but stay with the original names (e.g. where on Earth - quite literally - am I going to get a map of what the Maya or Sumer would call new cities?). I quite like the way the OP does it but you would need to write them in the way that the original civ has them written. Moscow in my last game (Babylonia) ended up as Stalinakad and in a game as Korea where they wiped out the Americans, Washington was Uosh-In'Chon. Barbarian towns, when playing as Rome or a classical Civ, end up with some kind of alteration to turn their tribal name (Parthian) into a city name (Parthium or Parthos if Greek etc.).

Playing as the Khmer I did recently change one or two names, particularly of barbarian cities; they ended up with Angkor Utrecht (captured by the barbs then by me as a thumbed nose at Willem) and Battambang, a modern city in Cambodia. I don't think Phnom Penh makes an appearance either, I never got far enough with Lon Wol to find out, but I would have named my next barb city that. The Chinese and Korean cities I captured in a bid to create Greater Cambodia were left as spelled by their former owners, though I did eventually plan a Lon Wol City, a la former Saigon = Ho Chi Minh City.

4. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

I usually play as a California civ :) if I capture a barbarian city, say the gepids, it becomes Los Gepidos :lol:

5. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest from Overseas

I used to do it in Civ II, but I don't do it any more... Altough sometimes, when playing as the Romans, I "Romanize" the names of conquered cities (London becomes Londinium etc.)

6. Sir Jaref

Sir Jaref Chieftain

I sometimes rename cities for civs that have really difficult names. I just name them "gold city" or "fish city" or some other stuff.

Sometimes I just like to rename stuff for fun. Like playing the Kmer, I renamed captured Washington "Angkor America", or settling an island with Bismarck, I named the cities "Neu Berlin" "Neu Hamburg" and "Neu Stuttgart". Just sounds cool, and makes it easier to recognice

7. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

In the old Hatshepsut ALC game, I had a huge continent to settle and the Egyptian names stopped being memorable after the fourth or fifth one, so I started naming the cities after local features to make them memorable. My favourite? A city built on the coast, surrounded by desert, to claim two resources: "Ironclam Flats". :D

8. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

That's the same as me, on other landmasses i name the cities "Nieuw Amsterdam", "Oranjestad", "Willemstad" or "Nieuw Middelburg". I mostly name the new ones after the big cities in game. It's not certain that i will build a "Nieuw Utrecht"

9. Bushface

Bushface Deity

I've used Marblewine and Corngold for two-resource cities, and someone else used PigIron for the same reason. I've also had Soggyville (lots of flood plains) and Oilburg (a real place in South Africa). But usually I name my cities after real places where I have lived and/or worked, more or less in chronological order, and haven't yet run out of possibilities on that basis.

10. Skips

Skips Chieftain

I like to rename Istanbul as Constantinople if I ever capture it.

11. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

Lol. Love that one! My personal fave: "Bonehead Gulch" (renamed after I took it from Tokagawa.):lol:

12. Kiwi Tyrant

Kiwi Tyrant Evil Jollification

I agree that I rename any hard to pronounce city names, or tweak them to be more instantly recognisable. Some Egyptian cities get renamed to easier ones like Sphinx, Pharaoh etc. My city that has the Forbidden Palace is normally called 'Forbidden' for example (though I'm not sure you'd do this in multi-player, might give abit away).
    Some cities that were captured via a mighty, prolonged battle get renamed to reflect the glory and bloodshed. Blood River Bend, Hamburger Hill, etc.
    But with city names, I try to always retain the flavour of the civ I'm playing, to retain the total ingame immersion I fall into... :assimilate:

13. quasarsphere

quasarsphere Chieftain

My first city is always called Crayonvania, which is also the name of my civ.
    My second city is either Lucan City, or Port Lucan. After me.
    My third city is Reginald. Just cos.
    All the rest are named after scientists.

I will never build the Manhattan Project or build or store nuclear weapons in the city of Sagan.

I can't keep religion out of the city of Dawkins though.

14. The Frisian

The Frisian Puny Mortal

Hahaha, I do that too! Port Darwin, Dawkins City, Hawking Hill, Saganville, NielsBohrburg. :goodjob:

Sometimes I will go for some descriptive names. The city of Armada will get a Drydock and I often name the ships built there Armada 1830, Armada 1845, etc. Depending on the year of construction.
    Cities with -burg in the name, will (eventually) get a castle. And if I find a spot that has floodplains and other food sources in the BFC then that city will often be changed to CornuCopia (Horn of plenty).
    If there is (blue) dye in the vicinity, I'll often put some type of blue in the city name, like Indigo Hills or Lazuli Bay (as in lapis lazuli, a type of blue rock). Although I have been naming gem-cities like that as well.

Cities in which a religion is founded are also candidates for name changes; City of God(s), Buddhapolis, Tao City, etc.

In Civ Vanilla I used to call the city with the most sea food Sushi City or something similar, even before I had heard of the Sushi Corporation from BtS. And now that I have BtS it's even more fitting.

15. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

It all depends on the civ I am handed by the roll of the dice. If I get standard European civs, I will probably keep the names. (It's one of my favorite things about the French; they have great city names.) If I get somebody with city names I have no shot of remembering, I rename them all. Sometimes I name my home continent after local towns, with my hometown being the capital. Sometimes I name them after sports teams ("The Giants has just completed The Great Lighthouse!", "The Jets has become unhealthy.") Sometimes I name the cities on a second continent with a different convention than the homeland. In my current game, my third continent (oddly settled by barbarians originally, but early astronomy allowed me to grab it all to myself) has been named after family members. Once I got to the pets I started to goof around. Lenny and Carl (the cats) have the cities of Lennygrad and Carl's Caverns. Abby (dog) has Abby's Abbey. The next city will be for Danny (other dog), but that will be Big Head, because Danny has a giant head.

16. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I like the idea of naming cites for their resources -

I have a kind of chronological list of Old Saxon names I use for expediency, they're so off the wall I can find them once there's a few up and running!

If there's only one "Aethelstan" you kind of remember where it is.

17. Feet

Feet Warlord

I usually try and think of a comedy theme for my cities. Best and most infantile was naming after slang terms for the parts of the body considered "rude". Cock Town, Arseville, Big Hills and Vage Central all featured.

What can I say, I'm easily amused.

18. quasarsphere

quasarsphere Chieftain

I don't think I can convincingly pretend to disapprove...

19. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

haha used to in Civ 1, like naming cities after my hometown, other cities in NY, then it turned into naming cities after "street names" ;):smoke:

Havn't yet in BTS, still getting used to these new ones like I also just got done playing as the Khmer

20. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

If I play as America than I will name it after cities that are near me.

Captured cities always get renamed to my liking. In my last game I captured about 7 cities all we're renamed. One that was original a barbarian city on the coast which I DoW because an AI got to it before me was named "Barbers Coast". Paris was renamed "Gaulle's Base"; Orleans renamed "New Orleens" (misspelling intentional). And of course all Khmer cities we're renamed so that they we're readable and had part of the original name in them.