Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

Hmmm...the Camel Archer is interesting. I don't quite know what to make of it. The ability to have a highly mobile ranged unit is intriguing and may offer some interesting strategic and tactical options in battle - including a hit and run tactic. However, I'm not sure what to make of a mounted unit that can't attack directly. Just not sure how strong the range aspect is but if you have quite a few CAs you might be able to do a lot of damage with few losses. Reminds of of the Byzantine/Middle Eastern mounted archer units in Medieval Total War with their circle formations.

I'm also interested to know how some of these UU bonuses work. For instance, the Aztec Jags get the jungle attack bonus not unlike CIV4. However, in CIV4 this "bonus" was actually a free promo that carried forward with upgrades. Jungle attack is fairly weak IMO. At least in CIV4 the promo included forests as well.

What will units like a Crossbow upgrade to next? Does it remain a ranged unit at the next level?

I'm willing to bet my right hand and my first born that the paper maker replaces the library. It does everything the library does, plus a little more and comes at the same time.

Its millions of times more likely that there is a mistake in the guide than firaxis would give a civ effectively a +50% science bonus for the early game. Specially one which already has a solid UU and an average or above average UA. Same for the longhouse, I'm sure it replaces something else.

I'm willing to bet my right hand and my first born that the paper maker replaces the library. It does everything the library does, plus a little more and comes at the same time.

Its millions of times more likely that there is a mistake in the guide than firaxis would give a civ effectively a +50% science bonus for the early game. Specially one which already has a solid UU and an average or above average UA. Same for the longhouse, I'm sure it replaces something else.

From Arioch's analysis:

If we research Writing, we'll be able to construct the Paper Maker, the Library, and the National College in our cities. That's a lot of research buildings!

I suggested that it's the typo and "Great" is missed before "Library", but independent paper maker is even more logical. Also Longhouse doesn't look like anything else.

I just think the civ's abilities aren't that good, so they got additional building bonus.

Longhouse could replace monument so that its available from the start; or possibly barracks so that you have to wait a little to get it.

Thanks ltarmstrong3.

Wow. The Longhouse seems to be super powerfull. So you basically never want to chop down Forest on grassland, hum. And when you add lumber mill Iroquois cities will become production beasts. Plus you save gold on road upkeep.
Thanks from me as well.

As for the Longhouse, it is indeed an interesting UB, and from my point of view historically appropriate. If you want to do your best to take advantage of forests, then you have a great production value, but from everything I've seen so far, the old rules still apply and your commerce rate is going to be rather low. Therefore, if you play to your unique strengths you wind up in a situation like the Iroquois were when the European settlers arrived. Behind in the tech race and hosed when the war starts.

Longhouse could replace monument so that its available from the start; or possibly barracks so that you have to wait a little to get it.

Yes, but it doesn't seem to have any of these bonuses.
Anyway, we'll have to wait to the actual game to see. I think there's nothing impossible in unique buildings not replacing anything.

Thanks ltarmstrong3 !!!

I'd be great if you filled the gaps on Ariochs page regarding the SPs. I really appreciate your effort, as I know it can be a burden to post all the info here.

I'd be great if you filled the gaps on Ariochs page regarding the SPs. I really appreciate your effort, as I know it can be a burden to post all the info here.

Aren't they filled yet?

Very cool. Thanks for all the great info. China just moved up a couple slots of my list of Civs to try early.

Once you're finished with the UUs/UBs could you reveal the effects of the unknown policy trees? That would be very useful info.

Lack of skepticism leads to some pretty stupid places

I'm skeptical that you aren't simply a jealous X-Girlfriend of the op and are just here to bash his civ5 strategy guide because he decided he would spend his night reading it instead of coating you with oils and massaging your back.
Emphasis on the X part because he dumped you after you trash talked him.

The op has more of a reputation than you, your new here as you admit, so how do you know what reputation he has, and what makes you think that you are in any shape or form in the position to judge his reputation. Thank you for your X-Girlfriend jealousys but in future if all you want to do is express your Skepticism, then do so without all the flaming and you might get a reply that treats you with some respect. But as it stands now, you have no right to accuse other members of lying, its against forum rules. If you don't want to believe that the op has the holy strategy guide, then thats entirely your choice, no one here will try to force sensiblity onto you, go about your ways now squire. The tavern is closed now, *ding* last orders ladies and gentlemen.

I'm willing to bet my right hand and my first born that the paper maker replaces the library.

First born eh, okay, I'll put up everything in my pocket, three pence, a bottle cap, and some dust, (I don't actually have anything but dust in my pockets :*(, buying Civ5 is expensive)
Its a bet!, I hope I win!, I've always wanted to be a dad.

with all these UU UB and special abilities - I welcome this versatility of the civs...
real replay value, I guess

:)

And this right here is why the sub topic of this thread, skepticism, should be getting closer to being over for this game. Really we all just want to know that replay value will remain high and that we can spend years bragging about our games at work while the other people talk about reality tv shows.....

No, thats not what I want to know, I already know that will be the case, this is Civ, its going to be replayable. I think I can say with confidence, most of us are here just to get every little tid bit of information we can to crave our addiction to Civ as we wait the ardous and infinite 5 day wait for release. We could play Civ4 BTS instead, but it just wouldn't be the same. That would be comparable to someone needing a fix for heroin being offered some weed, well at least thats what I hear, I don't do any drug other than Civ, I'm a loyal customer Frixasis, Please don't "whack" me.

It's interesting that almost every unit and every building seems super powerful, so that in previous Civs the "uniqueness" of each civ seems like just flavor in comparison.

indeed, trees do tend to grow over thousands of years.... Yeah Ragnarok, I agree, the forums are here to get me to our D-Day as well. I just downloaded the FFH 2 mod maybe two months ago and have been playing the scenarios to pass the time. I can't play regular BTS games either!!! I'm even leaning towards picking a civ as opposed to going random like I did for every previous civ game ever. you guys have all been very influential! (Set that as a personal leader trait for each of you.)

Top Bottom