1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got smacked by the AI in one of the greatest Civ games ever

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Selereth, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Selereth

Selereth Chieftain

I don't claim to be an expert player when it comes to Civilization, and I actually prefer it that way because it keeps the game fresh and exciting for me (unlike the pro players who tire of consistently beating the AI on Deity or Apollo), but the game I just experienced was exciting, intense, and possibly the best Civ game I have ever had the pleasure playing, despite my total and utter defeat.

A little bit of backstory is in order here: I was playing as the INTEGR on a lush, atlantean small map with 8 players. I was doing fairly well in the game up until this point, I had the second highest score behind the African Union and had successfully managed to craft a fine hybrid Supremacy-Harmony military that was definitely pulling its weight, easily crushing Brasilia's and NSA's tier 3 navies. I was best buddies with Africa, and for awhile it seemed like I was going to cruise to an easy Harmony victory, until disaster struck.

I checked Africa's affinity level and they at 13. Holy ****. All of the other AIs were maybe affinity level 9 at the most. This completely caught me off guard, they were quickly becoming runaways and that required some military caution on my part. So I knew that war was inevitable with them, and that being said, I positioned my navy on their borders in preparation for an attack, even though I wasn't planning on initiating it for at least a few more dozen turns.

What I wasn't expecting was for them to break their alliance with me, and declare war on me, completely catching me off guard. And what followed was an blitzkrieg; they quickly captured two of my still weak water cities and annihilated my navy on the left. In a matter of turns they had destroyed upwards of 6 of my top tier units, and they were comparable to Barre's full upgraded Purity units. Despite my best efforts, I knew I was done for, but chose to fight it out to the bitter end. His units were strong though, I mean really strong. He had obviously been building up an immense military, and once he started rolling he just didn't stop. I like how the Civilopedia states that Barre is a "kind, gentle leader, but is ruthless when necessary". ...You don't say.

I've attached some pictures that show my capital before his assault, my capital after his assault, my last stand and the fighting that occurred when he wasn't bombing the crap out of my cities.

This game was on Soyuz. I know that some people will scoff and say," heh, that's nothing", but like I said, I am not a pro player, plus his military was very powerful, and he knew how to use it. Kept his subs in the back, always tried to isolate my units when possible (which of course really hurts Supremacy units), and later on brought Dragoons into the fray. The AI might not be that intelligent but for me, it can really put up on hell of a fight, and this is what makes the game so fun despite its numerous bugs and flaws.

Attached Files:

2. ptoss1

ptoss1 Chieftain

My personal limit for difficulty is when I can only win using certain civs, exploits, maps, etc. The moment I realize I have to follow a certain predetermined strat, including restarts, or certain civs become unviable, I consider the difficulty level worthless.

It's great that an AI was actually semi-competent, but it's kind of weird that Barre cheated on you since the xml file says he has a loyalty rating of 7 along with Arshia and Kavitha. Makes me question how they programmed the AI.

3. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Chieftain

INTEGR getting what they deserve.

4. Selereth

Selereth Chieftain

I play on Soyuz because it's my sweet spot; there's no guarantee that I will win but I can win games on Soyuz if I play well or whatever. Gemini is a stomp every time, so it's a nice balance of winning and losing.

To be fair, Barre may have cheated on me because my navy was all clustered around my city that was 2-3 tiles away from his borders (in fact you can see it in the first photo, used to be Weisheit), and that may have influenced his decision to wage war, a preemptive strike if you will, since eventually I was planning on attacking him anyway.

5. ptoss1

ptoss1 Chieftain

Do the civs still warn the player about amassing armies around their cities or is that gone now? I haven't noticed it since the expansion came out. Soyuz is my go to difficulty as well. It bothers me that on Appolo the AI starts with a free colonist and three military units right off the bat. It's an absurd advantage that can be beaten but takes the "artificial" difficulty to a level of gameyness I can't stand.

6. Selereth

Selereth Chieftain

Nope, I haven't gotten those warnings since I installed Rising Tide. And of course since that's gone you can't declare war on them if they goad you (attack me now or retreat and suffer a huge diplomatic penalty if you attack later). He attacked without warning, instantly cancelling all diplomatic agreements I had with him and getting in the first shots. What was also amusing was that the leader screen that usually pops up when someone attacks you didn't happen this time, it was just, "Barre has declared war on you, cue intimidating music".

7. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

Did you technically not lose the game? You can still sue for peace and try to build the mindflower before him :)

8. Selereth

Selereth Chieftain

He did offer me peace at the cost of losing everything but my last city, there was no point. I fought till the bitter end. He would have simply declared war on me again to finish me off anyway.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

probably what the AI thinks when its offered peace. ;)

10. omniclast

omniclast Chieftain

They seem to sometimes. When I have a large army near my opponent's border, I will get a comminque from them (the one where they pop up full screen) where they say something to the effect of "what the heck do you think you're doing" but it's just the leader's quote, there is no actual statement of what they're pissed about, so I'm not 100% this is related to being near their borders. I also got it one time when I was travelling through an ally's territory with a large army, which I think is probably a bug since we had open borders.

However, the only option is "accept" and it doesn't seem to affect anyone's respect, including the AI who communicates it, so I'm not sure what the point is... what I DO know is that being able to perfectly position your units around their borders without any repercussions is quite broken, you can basically guarantee taking several important cities in the first turn after DoW.

11. JH24

JH24 Chieftain

Nice to hear about your experience with the AI. I had a similar experiences with the African Union as well. (Gemini)

I had build up a nice empire, and Barre and myself had around similar scores. I went Purity/Supremacy and he went Harmony/Purity.

I noticed Barre had been building a considerable military, especially his navy. We were allies and I thought I had the game under control. I moved my naval forces closer to his borders (but still some distance away) as I saw a lot of ship/troop movement nearby.

When I checked his affinity levels a bit later I was in for quite a shock as their affinity levels had moved up considerably with Harmony at 13. (Seems to be Barre's preferred affinity) Other AI's were 8-9 at best. Soon after he attacked with an almost endless wave of naval units, Vipers/Xeno Cavalry and some artillery pieces.

I was able to fend off the attack in the end, but it wasn't easy.

It seems the AI is a lot better in moving up in affinity levels than before.

12. Willburn

Willburn Chieftain

Cool you enjoyed the game ! I think BERT is much better than BE was at release. Certainly there are bugs and I have yet to play a MP game but I am hoping they fixed the out of synch issues as well. Overall I am happy with BERT as it is simply FUN (even with a lot of unbalanced strategies.)

13. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Chieftain

Strange, I also had Barre backstab me lategame. We were allies most of the game, we were both Purity, and he had max respect. However, I think as I started building units, his fear started to go up. Then I "stole" some of his water tiles with one of my water cities (playing as NSA) which lost me a lot of respect with him. In base BE, I don't think I ever saw an allied player backstab me, so it was much more exciting!

Plus, because of the way trade routes work, he was the only player on the map supplying me with Firaxite, and in his opening move he killed the three golems I was embarking to take out Brazilia. Needless to say, I was unable to use my cool new units against him.

14. Verviedi

Verviedi Chieftain

I have had an opposite experience. I was playing Duel on Apollo difficulty as ARC against Brasilia. I was around Harmony/Supremacy level 9, and was suddenly DoWed by Reggie. It was then I realized that he was only around Purity 6 / Supremacy 4. I utterly stomped the poor guy. Parked a nanohive 2 tiles away from his capital behind a hill, and bombed him with Furies and Educators. Sent in a Hellion to grab the victory. I really wasn't expecting my first Apollo victory to be that easy.