1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just starting with V, need advice

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MaxCiv, Mar 12, 2012.

1. MaxCiv

MaxCiv Warlord

I am a long time Civ players (since Civ I), but far from being hardcore player. I usually play it for several weeks at the time and then leave it for months, sometimes more.

Last time I played IV BTS was more than a year ago. I enjoyed the Better AI MOD (thank you jdog :goodjob:) and BUG.

I never got into Civ V because I was a bit turned off by all the radical changes and the initial problems and bugs with the game and when it came out I didn't think it was worth the full price in that state. This past weekend, thanks to the 75% off on Steam, I decided to bite the bullet so I got the GOTY + the 2 additional DLCs to go with it.

I haven't had the time to start a real game yet, but I noticed that there is a Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced mod that seem well done. My question is, should I start with the unmodded game first or should I use the UP from the get go?

2. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

No point in a mod like that unless you really really hate the game as it is... but how could you know?

3. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

VEM is a very good mod, but I would recommend you try the game without mods first. Apart from anything else I find VEM significantly more difficult, at least 1 maybe 2 levels more difficult. Which might be a good thing, but probably not for your first game. :)

4. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

I love the Nights mod (in sig). The chief differences are:
    - Military units take up happiness
    - The more of a type of unit you have, the more hammers\gold it takes to build\upgrade to another of that unit (affects AI as well)
    - Lots of buildings - feels a bit more like Civ 4 in this way to me.

You should probably try the vanilla (no mods) game first, just to see what the actual game is like, or VEM which is similar to vanilla with a lot of improvements.

5. MaxCiv

MaxCiv Warlord

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will get my feet wet with few vanilla games and then I'll give the mods a try.

6. JohnnyFriedEggs

JohnnyFriedEggs Chieftain

Ok...I am so green I don't even know what a mod is? Help, please.

7. Walter E Kurtz

Walter E Kurtz Warlord

Modifications. User generated content or alterations to the game. Mostly small improvements but mods can also take a quite radical approach and lead to a whole new and different game. Mods are always shared freely.