1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Thank you, FXS and CivFanatics

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by schorsch_76, Oct 22, 2020.

1. schorsch_76

schorsch_76 Chieftain

Hello,

this is my first post here but i am registered a few years ago. I play Civ sice Civ 3. From my point of view, Civ 6 is the best one i ever had. I have now about 500h on it. I think its nothing compared to others ;)

Most times i play on Prince. About the Civs i like the most: Egypt, Rome, Germany and Byzantium. Where i still struggle is, how to think about city locations. In a recent Shadow game thread, i saw that some can already see how good a harbor would be even without the city already founded. I'm far from that....

I just want to say, "Thank You" to the forum and FXS. I leared a lot here just by reading the threads and especially the Guides Subforum.

2. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

You're welcome. :)
    I'm rather new here myself, but the forums are a great source of information and place to exchange information.

The city locations are very different from earlier civ games.
    I personally only have experience from civ 5, but in civ 5 you usually (if going Tradition, like 90% did) wanted to maximize the potential land a city could grab, and preferably with high food yields so that you could sustain a high population.

In civ 6, you have to think completely different and start learning how district adjacencies work and drop the mindset of "maximizing the land for each city".
    In civ 6 you don't get any real benefits from having a massive population, as your bonuses are mostly tied to districts.
    Maximizing the power of districts depends on locations for adjacency bonuses, and once you start mastering that it will flow rather naturally for you, and you will become dramatically better at the game.

Btw, harbours are mostly uninteresting for adjacency bonuses, you only get a bit of gold, and regardless of where you settle you should usually get +2 or +3 gold from your harbour.
    The districts that really matter however, are campuses and (maybe) holy sites, and for those you want nearby mountains (of course other districts matter too, but I'm arguing for simplicity's sake here).

Just play around a bit, settle those mountain spots and eventually you can naturally tell where the good spots are. :)

schorsch_76 likes this.
  3. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Harbours can actually be quite significant for adjacency since you can get pretty high production from them with the tier2 building. :p

4. Buktu

Buktu Warlord

Harbours are a quite interesting district. You can get so much from it. Gold, housing, production, food and a trade route!

You can look up all sources of adjacency for districts in the civilopedia. It takes some time to get used to them but once you know those things it really helps you to plan new cities and look for new settling spots.

5. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Yeah, and the best thing about harbors is that they don't occupy a land tile, although people usually underestimate it because Great Admirals aren't so good as Great Merchants.

6. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

For sure, I never meant to underplay the harbours here, in fact I find them to be one of the better districts overall since as you say, you get a trade route, housing, food, production etc. all from the same district (making the commercial hub pale in comparison, if it weren't for the great merchants). :)

That being said though, harbours are usually among the toughest to get high adjacencies to (above +3), and I didn't want to confuse a newcomer to civ 6 with buildings being boosted by base adjacency values (shipyard).

Buktu and 8housesofelixir like this.
  7. schorsch_76

schorsch_76 Chieftain

Today i started a new game. I try to follow the guides and focus on district placements.

I started at epic game speed as it gives me more time to react and i am not again in the new era when i want start a war ;)

I attached my save game.
    Settings:
    • Epic game speed
    • Dramatic ages
    • Shuffled Tech Tree
    • Rome
    • Giant map with 12 civs
    • Maptype: Middle Sea (land around a ocean in the middle)
    • Mods: Alarm Clock, Alternate Policy Screen, Better Report Screen, CQUI,

My current thoughts on it and what happeded:
    • First i had to struggle with barbs. I spamed some slingers and focused on early expansion.
    • with Magnus in Rome i pumped out as many settlers as i could.
    • Brasil is to the north. He does not like me.
    • My neighbor is egypt. She likes me. I captured Nechen as it was revolting. First i thought if i should give it to Egypt but i didnt do it as i first want more cities.
    • Now i have 6 cities and claimed the lower right region on the map. I want to continue the line from Nechen to the south and fill up the area in the backland.
    • I am in a golden age (classic era)
    • Right now i still have no districts. This must change.
    My future plans:
    • Befriend with egypt.
    • Explore the map and meet all civs
    • Improve the land
    • Build districts
    • Found a religion
    • Get access to the ocean in the middle with a city.
    • Maybe go to war with brasil and get some cities and access to the ocean.

What do you think about it?

Attached Files: