1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

just tried RoM for the first time.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by Gorey, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Gorey

Gorey Prince

looks really cool.

but.. my god, the civics. there's like way too many of them.. and each one does too much. i'm having a brain meltdown just trying to make sense of it all. adding to my discomfort is the fact that when i mouseover each one, i cant see all the effects because there's so much in each one that the window needs to be scrolled, wich i can't do unless its selected.

bleh.

imo, having alot of diff civic choices might not be a bad thing.. but man, atleast make it more logical & senseable.

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

The development of the Civics took much discussion and has evolved thru several iterations of RoM to reach it's current status. Like all of RoM there is so much more here than vanilla BtS ever offered. So it becomes a matter of adjustment to play style/looks. We've all had a reaction of similar sorts over various parts of the Mod since waaaaay back to version .80.

But overall this is one of the best BtS Mods available.

I hope you enjoy it, and get an appreciation for it's scope.

Welcome to RoM. :D

JosEPh :)

3. little_cyclone

little_cyclone Loyal Civ4 & C2C mod player

Select the civic you're interested in, then hover your mouse over the avatar of that civic (its located btw the list of civics, and the list of changes that civic will incur). After a second or two a smaller box will pop up that will completely display the full list of changes that civic will incur, minus the need to scroll. :) I'm hoping you'll find, like the rest of us that play RoM, that variety is the spice of life. :goodjob:

4. Thorongil

Thorongil Chieftain

You can also just click on the Civic you want to know more about (if it is available to you), then it will stay selected and you can scroll down and look at all its effects. The Civic isn´t changed unless you also click the 'Revolution'-button afterwards. And remember: Choosing a Civic shouldn´t be an easy decision, it´s meant to be brain-stressing and nerve-robbing, that´s the whole point of it! ;)

5. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

The mod will grow on you until vanilla civ seems insipid and worthless.... oh, what am I saying??? It always DID seem insipid and worthless! I wouldn't play it until a good mod came along, now I'm hooked! lol

6. Ironmann

Ironmann Chieftain

You've played Civ IV and then some mods.
    You've played Civ IV Warlord expansion and some mods to that too.
    You even played Civ IV Beyond the sword expansion but then you discovered the ROM mod.
    From that point on you start referring the whole Civ IV series as ROM.
    Because once you have tried it youre stuck in its beauty and addictiveness.
    There aint no way back from ROM! It's perfection in progress^^

7. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

I find it tons easier though. I jumped a difficulty after 2 games. Since the minor civs fight each other so much you can just tech away, use the different buildings and units wisely, and then crush them all. I get so many civs popping up and killing the AI that I end up cycling through the same ai civs over and over. I had the zulu get wiped and come back to life at least 3 times.

Just seem to repop too much.

I agree on the civics...way too much. I get so frustrated trying to keep it all together that I just end up sticking with what I have and don't mess with changing it much at all.

Nice mod overall, just too easy in my book. But love the rescources not popping until you research a tech, Sevo had that in his mod too.

8. johntmax

johntmax Chieftain

I love the civics, I think they're one of the best parts. ROM is the best simply because of it's complexity. That's what I look for in a CIV mod. Sure, fancier units and the like are nice, but if I want to play a simple game I'll play vanilla or any of the official expansions for that matter.

9. Thorongil

Thorongil Chieftain

Just an obvious thought from my side I´d like to toss: Why don´t you switch off Revolution and Start as Minors? Could possibly make the game harder (as long as you don´t have problems with revolutions yourself, anyway).

10. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Turn off tech trading, that adds a nice level of difficulty! It's a lot harder to make the AI happy and also to keep up with them in research. Oh yah, find some crazy friends and play multiplayer! Now THAT will make it challenging! I can't really play single player, I get bored, but multi keeps me going enough to play single just to practice for the REAL games. :)

11. romelus

romelus NUCULAR!

actually, after playing quite a few ROM games, i've found that most civics are worthless and certain ones are clearly superior

i usually end up using
    democracy (huge money) or fascism (for very long wars or when i have too much money late in game)

proletariat (the single most overpowering civic in ROM. +2 commerce for farm early in game is so awesome that switiching to a more advanced civic often decreases research)

bureaucracy (boosts everything)

free church (build speed boost) or corporatist (when i inevitably end up with all the corporation HQs)

church (build speed boost) or corporation (boosts everything)

the other civics just pale in comparison. i pretty much ignore the individual building modifiers because they are not significant, and i don't tend to have problems with happiness or health

12. gazius

gazius Warlord

Is there a manual somewhere for all this? A good AAR to introduce a new player to the game?

13. johntmax

johntmax Chieftain

Read the Civilopedia

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Not really useful - for example there is nothing in Civilopedia which describes the new routes and the help when you are building them can be misleading. For example the help says paved roads adds a hammer to mines when built but this is only true if you don't already have a road there. Does it mention that mines upgrade to shaft mines which produce unhappiness? Does it say that some techs are useless if you don't have the correct state religion - mainly fundamentalism? :)

There was an attempt to produce a manual which had better information than the Civilopedia somewhere on this forum. I did not look at it much because it was a PDF the use of which makes me ill.

15. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Eh, is there any way to stop mine from converting to shaft mine? It actively reduces the possible population by 1 while adds only 1 hammer...

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Not-so-smart Man

I don't think there is, or if there is, I don't know it. All I know, is that the anger population is annoying. Build more temples, I guess. :)

As for this.
    Choosing a Civic shouldn´t be an easy decision, it´s meant to be brain-stressing and nerve-robbing, that´s the whole point of it!
    OBJECTION!
    That is not true at all. Civics shouldn't be difficult at all. I am insulted here...

This mod doesn't really need micromanagement hell, *cough* revolutions* cough
    Yet, he changed the civics, and while I can stand them, they are a bit confusing. Not to mention it's impossible to get foreign trade routs until the Renaissance. OYE!

But despite them being confusing, I find them not that bad, nor should they be brain stressing.
    Quantum Physics this is not. :)

If you were joking, I apologize.

17. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I like civics in the whole. Some of them definitely are better but I like that every one of them may be used effectively if a situation is present, so the system is quite flexible. Sometimes it's more profitable to run even the "first" civic while you have "better" one avaliable, I miss this feature in "vanilla" civ where usually the later the better.

18. konradcabral

konradcabral Prince

I often use the "pillage" button on the shaftmines. It only destroys the shaftmine and the simple mine stays.

19. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Some of us love micromanagement hell and purposefully make the game play harder and harder through the choice of difficulty level and options, so that every tile usage matters. It can make quite an incredible difference... now if I were only better at it in my mulitplayer games!

20. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I'd say, -1 :angry: from shaft mine should be nerfed, at least to -0.3 or -0.5. And I still don't get the idea. If it was a "deep quarry", I see how quarry can disturb population with loud sounds, so it would be more fitting there. While "deep mine" is just a mine which leads deep undergrounds, so it makes no impact on the surrounding city.