1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Justice Antonin Scalia, Known For Biting Dissents, Dies At 79

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Feb 13, 2016.

1. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

So again i ask, for the 3rd+ time, why is it stupid for black people to consistantly vote for a party that doesn't hate them, rather than say the Republican Party which literally uses Black people as a way of riling up White people to vote? Why would anyone vote for a party that hates and despises them?

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

<---------returns to the dugout.

Some hanging curves are too easy to even bother swinging at for batting practice.

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Read about Einstein's long-standing feud with Niels Bohr over his refusal to accept the Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum physics. It's basically two very smart and famous men disagreeing over how to best describe the nature of reality.

4. abradley

abradley Deity

You think that deserves an answer?

I don't because it's pure malarkey.

5. useless

Dude, the Southern Strategy of pitting whites against Blacks is literally a thing, even Lee Atwater admits it's existence and the fact that policies were clearly designed to be against black people:

Dogwhistle racism is a thing that's been and is currently, being used to energise white voters and im sorry that you're unable to see that because you've bought into the false belief that America has dealt entirely with racism.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

But since it comes from someone with greater credibility you ignore it at your peril.

Welcome to the internet.

7. abradley

abradley Deity

Is this a Scalia thread or not?

Now we're on a 'Southern Strategy', please provide a link to the quote. Why doesn't someone open a thread on the subject ... Jeez, next thing you know I'll have 'whats his name' pestering me about 'Blacks' on a 'Scalia' thread.

As for Southern Strategy, I'll have to do some research.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Funny how one can declare something pure malarkey by fiat but demands links and evidence from others.

9. useless

I'm merely responding to a comment you made, I'm not the one who made the offtopic comment in the first place.

Also:

Here's the quote + where it comes from.

Go do some research, blacks have long been the enemy of the republican party, do you honestly find it bizarre that a group wouldn't vote for a party that hates them? Do you think it's strange for LGBT people to usually be anti-republican, especially when so much of their platform has been about insulting, denigrating, villifying, attacking and denying any sort of equal treatment or rights to them?

This isn't Britain where there's a multitude of established parties, America is a two horse system, there's no point in Blacks, Gays etc not voting for Democrats when the alternative option (Republicans) are openly hostile and frankly hate the groups in the first place.

10. abradley

abradley Deity

To my knowledge this is Southern Strategy, maybe we're talking past each other, need the link to your quotes to see if it's the same:

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Blah blah.

Bowl of copy pasta.

Blah blah blah.

Anybody remember Rich Little?

12. abradley

abradley Deity

Thanks for the link, here's what I found on Powerline:
    And about Powerline:

13. useless

A conservative media outlet defends a conservative party?

Colour me shocked!

14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

President Obama doubled down today on the idea that he is gonna' just follow procedure and give the Republicans the opportunity to do the same.

He also dealt with the issue of his own filibuster vote head-on(ish) by essentially saying that it was an appearances vote that he was allowed to take to play well with his base back home... and that he is fine with Republicans doing the same as long as his nominee gets confirmed/voted on, just like Justice Alito (the Justice that he voted to filibuster) did.

It's worth noting that Justice Alito was not filibustered. Filibustering is not a vote, it is taking the floor and talking endlessly to prevent a vote. This did not happen with Justice Alito. What President Obama (then a Senator) did, was join 24 other Senators in stating that they would support a filibuster... doing so, with full awareness that no such filibuster would or could take place, since it takes the support of 41 Senators to make a filibuster possible (a 60 senator vote forces the filibuster to end).

So in other words the support of a filibuster was a symbolic gesture, and never intended to actually block or filibuster Justice Alito's nomination. Republicans hanging onto this as an excuse for their behavior is completely disingenuous.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Glad I'm not the only one pointing out that Mighty Mitch has again trampled on his own penis.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I've stopped consuming the copy pasta. It colors me green. :vomit:

17. abradley

abradley Deity

Like I posted earlier, 'Don't shoot the messenger, prove him wrong.'

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Don't bring silly messages and you won't be dismissed with derision.

No one here really cares what a conservative rag thinks. Heck, no one here really cares what a liberal rag thinks. If we cared we'd BE THERE READING IT rather than here. I care what Useless thinks. I might even start to care what you think if you were ever to mention it.

19. abradley

abradley Deity

Well, does this deserve a reply other than Malarkey:
    It again is 100% opinion, with no facts to justify it's opinion.

If he'd started with the famous Atwater quote and summarized it with the above quote, then he's got an argument worth a reply. Which I did, whether you agree with Powerline's conclusion or not.

I agree with Powerline, they went to the original interview for the context.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Delusional incompetence.

This. Interpreting texts and statutes can be subjective by its very nature, might as well know what you are getting up front.

He's only done it on one or two really high-profile cases and apparently a bunch of libs are swooning over him. He's pretty hardcore when it comes to supporting the Chamber of Commerce position in any sort of business/regulation case.

He had a long history of that kind of stuff, but very often outlets were afraid to call him on it (or conveniently didn't notice) until much later in the game.