1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Justice Antonin Scalia, Known For Biting Dissents, Dies At 79

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Feb 13, 2016.

1. chijohnaok

chijohnaok King

And then there was the Senator from Illinois who became the first President in US History to Have Voted to Filibuster a Supreme Court Nominee

2. abradley

abradley Deity

Very much on subject.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

That's rich.:smug:

4. abradley

abradley Deity

:lol::lol::lol: Yes, rather than show the poll was invalid it's 'kill the messenger time', how so you.:lol::lol::lol:

How about this:
    The CBS poll is at https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documen...ork-times-cbs-news-poll-on-race-relations.pdf

5. abradley

abradley Deity

Thank you.:)

6. Sommerswerd

I never said the message was invalid, just that the messenger was not credible. Next time just go with a credible source from the start and save yourself the time;).
    You're welcome:)

And, more importantly... I'm still waiting to hear what this tangent you've been on since post # 54 (problems in the black community/race relations in America) has to do with the late Justice Scalia's replacement?:confused:?? Or, again... is this just your pet topic that you just want to talk about regardless of the actually thread subject?

7. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

I don't see what Republicans get by not blocking this nomination. Looks like an easy play for then, hypocrisy notwithstanding. (And when has hypocrisy ever stopped any Senator?) I mean maaaaybe they lose moderate votes in the general? Maybe?

If I were a Republican and I wanted a chance at a more conservative Justice I'd be totally rooting for them to dig in their heels. Conversely, I want a confirmation because I want a justice closer to my perspective on the law and policy, not because I fear some sort of constitutional crisis.

8. abradley

abradley Deity

First of all you posted:
    Why would you post that if you thought the data was valid?

As for #54, are you afraid of a Black saying the same as I am posting?

As for my continually coming back to the subject, it's the masses asking me questions or making comments that I am replying to ... just like now.

Addon

I watch fox news and haven't seen a Rasmussen poll quoted in many moons, have seen ABC, and CBS polls. But you would know better because you watch them also, right?

9. Sommerswerd

First, nothing in this post addresses the relevance to the replacement SCOTUS Justice. Second, if a 5 year old told me there were flying pink elephants in the sky I would not go outside to look, because they aren't credible. If an adult corroborated, then I might go look to see what was going on. You cite Rasmussen, and its like the 5 year old... not credible enough to address the substance. As for the rest, see my first point...(ie relevance to Scalia's replacement?)

10. abradley

abradley Deity

How about CBS, their poll sez the same, should they be ignored as well?

As for the Scalia's replacement bit, I'd love to stick with it but there this continual pestering about other subjects that I'm forced to rely to.

You know what I mean, right?

11. illram

Conservative social and economic policies do not benefit black communities as they are often rooted in anti environmental regulation, eliminating or limiting access to social services, increasingly punitive criminal justice "reform", regressive taxes, and sometimes, just out and out racist social policies. Like segregation.

This is not as much a ringing endorsement of democratic social policies but it is safe to say that most classically "Republican" ideas of the past 50 years to the present are worse.

And Scalia probably voted in favor of a lot of them, to bring this back around.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Here's the thing...

They are blocking with the rhetoric of "it is an election year, let the people have their say." Assume Obama puts up a jurist that is moderate and should be acceptable. Add to their rhetoric "and we are demanding the people have their say," as they block someone with no valid reason.

Now, assume the Democrats win in November. A victorious Clinton or Sanders nominates someone, armed with "the people had their say." They are now empowered to nominate whoever they want, and they are a lot less likely to nominate someone moderate and realistically acceptable except to the purely obstructionist.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

The fifty percent saying that race relations are getting worse are white people who see their privilege eroding.

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I mean 'serious' in the sense of nominating someone Obama actually wants for the job (taking into account that they have to be unimpeachably moderate), rather than coming up with a couple of sacrifical lambs to throw to the slaughter first.

15. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

With the changing demographics, it brings this particular meme/image macro to mind:

16. illram

Sure it could backfire. I think unless it looks like a slam dunk Democrat win though, you have to play to win, not lose. Accepting the most middle of the road nominee you can squeeze out of Obama is playing to lose the election I think.

17. Sommerswerd

No one is "pestering" to stay on the tangent but you. All I am interested in discussing is what the polls you cited have to do with the SCOTUS? If the answer is "nothing I just want to rant about blacks" then I'm less interested in examining the poll... You know what I mean, right?
    Another interesting variable in this little game they are playing is that if the Democrats actually regain the Senate in addition to retaining the White House, the Republicans will lose all their leverage and end up with an even more liberal Justice than if they went through the process now. EDIT:What the Republicans are essentially doing is gambling.

The other thing to consider, is that if they simply hold their breath for the next few months obstructing, Prez Obama has literally no downside to making a recess appointment a month before leaving office (over Xmas recess). They won't be able to criticize him, because he gave them a chance to do their job and they refused. Then they can take it up with the new President and majority Democrat Senate in January. Good luck with that.

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

The Republicans with brains in their heads are playing the same game today that they were playing in 2008 and 2012. They are losing the presidential election and their main efforts need to be put to damage control. A whole lot of rhetoric in the "let the people speak" vein is doubling down on a bet that they know is a long shot at best.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Another place where they are playing with fire is Chief Justice Roberts. If he openly criticizes the senate for refusing to do their job and hamstringing the court they are in real trouble, and they certainly don't have enough control over him to be sure that he won't.

20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I've always loved that one.