Kael on the boards

I figured RL was keeping Kael busy, but I hadn't known about the new arrival. I know plenty of people with children and the first few months with a newborn are absolutely exhausting.

Having said that, congratulations, that's wonderful news. Try to get some sleep every now and then. ;)

Thanks for all the happy wishes, but I didn't have a daughter, I had my first granddaughter! She's a beautiful little girl named Eden and Im having a great time being a grandfather.

As for my time. FfH is in maintenance mode now, and though I will tinker with it from time to time. It isn't getting the hours of attention each day that it used to and I'm tinkering with other projects including writing and teaching Eden to do a Godzilla impression (she's amazingly good).

And I've taken some time to play some games other than FfH, including Fallout 3 and Torchlight, both of which are fun. Im really looking forward to playing Dragon Age, but I have to wait for my new computer as my current machine can't handle it.

Good to hear that you're doing well... been a few weeks of nervously checking the first page of the bug thread and seeing your postcount stay at 17,089 while criticisms about the unit AI stack up.

Ironically enough, I actually started a Fallout 3 game last night, partially because I've got a sense that an update to FfH is due and that I should wait for it before starting a new game. This is silly thinking on my behalf and rather perpetual... there's *always* something I'm waiting on, because either something has been promised, or a particular issue has come to salience. The rate at which FfH updates is a big part of why I check in all the time. Will that be stopping?

I hope if you ever choose to officially step down that you hand over the reins to one of the several other talented programmers here so that we can continue to see improvements

Good to hear that you're doing well... been a few weeks of nervously checking the first page of the bug thread and seeing your postcount stay at 17,089 while criticisms about the unit AI stack up.

Ironically enough, I actually started a Fallout 3 game last night, partially because I've got a sense that an update to FfH is due and that I should wait for it before starting a new game. This is silly thinking on my behalf and rather perpetual... there's *always* something I'm waiting on, because either something has been promised, or a particular issue has come to salience. The rate at which FfH updates is a big part of why I check in all the time. Will that be stopping?

I hope if you ever choose to officially step down that you hand over the reins to one of the several other talented programmers here so that we can continue to see improvements

Yeah, major updates are done. Bug fixes and minor tweaks (especially around the AI will continue).

We made a huge effort to make sure FfH2 is easy to mod. So I won't be handing over the FfH2 reins to anyone. But there have been many promising modmods where the sort of work you are describing continues. Every modder is going to have their own direction to follow, and rather than having someone take FfH down one path I think its best to keep the base stable and allow the modmoders to explore all the paths.

Thanks for all the happy wishes, but I didn't have a daughter, I had my first granddaughter! She's a beautiful little girl named Eden and Im having a great time being a grandfather.

...teaching Eden to do a Godzilla impression (she's amazingly good)....

Even Better now you can give her back when that diaper needs cleaning =) !!

A GRANDdaughter? Wow! Congratulations.

As for FfH, I think we all recognize that RL -- especially family -- takes priority. I think people were simply concerned that you might be abandoning us altogether. :sad: Glad to see that's not the case. :)

I just want to add my voice here to say congratulations.

Congratulations, Kael. Be sure to shower her with gifts!

We made a huge effort to make sure FfH2 is easy to mod. So I won't be handing over the FfH2 reins to anyone. But there have been many promising modmods where the sort of work you are describing continues. Every modder is going to have their own direction to follow, and rather than having someone take FfH down one path I think its best to keep the base stable and allow the modmoders to explore all the paths.

The FFH Team's wisdom is unmatched; I only wish more game developers were as wise as you guys are.

--

I've just gotta say*, everyone should play Torchlight¹ at least once.

* The author of this post is, in fact, incorrect.
¹ Torchlight is an unapologetic hack & slash dungeon crawler that is well worth its price tag.

As for my time. FfH is in maintenance mode now, and though I will tinker with it from time to time. It isn't getting the hours of attention each day that it used to and I'm tinkering with other projects including writing and teaching Eden to do a Godzilla impression (she's amazingly good).

And I've taken some time to play some games other than FfH, including Fallout 3 and Torchlight, both of which are fun. Im really looking forward to playing Dragon Age, but I have to wait for my new computer as my current machine can't handle it.

:huh: I thought you were in your mid to late thirties tops...
:bday:[party]:beer::high5:
thank you in your wisdom made FfH2 easy to mod

anxiously waiting for Civ V for FfH3 :D

He is mid to late thirties, tops:D

I believe she is technically a step-granddaughter. He is married to an older woman who already had kids when they met. Having biological children as old as his sons would require him to have been sexually active at about age 11, iirc.

Once again MC's knowledge is eerily correct. Im both impressed and concerned. :lol:

If Kael and I were the same, archers and siege units would have ranged attacks and Yvain would be a Satyr instead of a Treant.

If Kael and I were the same, archers and siege units would have ranged attacks and Yvain would be a Satyr instead of a Treant.

That's a good one.:lol: I've always wondered what your location (In Kael's head) meant...

That interview was fantastic! :) I'm interested in the Civ4 and BTS side too (such as the development of Fall from Heaven: Age of Ice and the BTS expansion). Are you able to talk about that at the present time?

I really like how the mod is balanced as a whole, as opposed to every aspect having to have another similar aspect in another civilization, unit or religion. It is more difficult, but I think this type of balancing has greater rewards and makes the mod or game's world feel more like a real world and less like a game.

I think FFH2 started off great and is getting closer to perfection all the time. And I am interested in this thread, when you can find spare time when you're not playing with your granddaughter. Hard thing I know. =)

Thanks to you and all the people who have helped (and are still helping) to make and improve such a great mod! :)

(And all the best. :king:)

Best regards,
Steven.

Once again MC's knowledge is eerily correct. Im both impressed and concerned. :lol:

Well, MC means well, what with having very angle of your home covered with HD-cameras and spending 16 hours a day* sitting across from your living room window with High-power binoculars.
So, umm, yay, you have both a grandaughter and a Super-Fan/Salker crossbeed!

*this is why MagisterMod is so behind in development.

Yeah, major updates are done. Bug fixes and minor tweaks (especially around the AI will continue).

Broadly speaking, what's the scope of what you expect to do? Bugs, of course, so we should keep reporting those in the Bug thread. The 'pedia needs updating, so those suggestions should continue to be reported in the Cosmetic Issues thread.

You opened a thread for feedback on the new AI. Should we infer from that that you're still interested in balance issues broadly? Do we keep the Balance Issues thread going, in other words?

And a minor point, but do you consider new events to be "major updates"? We haven't seen you in the Common Events thread in a while, so it might be helpful to know what you're thinking there. I'm not asking about my proposed events, specifically, but rather about events generally. Thanks.

Top Bottom