1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Kamikaze Promotion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Silence101, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Silence101

Silence101 King

I was messing around with the promotions XML last night and I noticed there was a tag for kamikaze percentage. So, I decided to test it out - created a promotion called Kamikaze using the tag. It gives the promoted unit a +100% combat value but kills the unit after the battle obviously. This might be a great way to help bust through tightly defended stacks where your attacker is facing the unit with the best odds of winning. So, I thought I'd run with it.

I just tried it for the first time last night, and my main concern at this point is balance. I made it available to melee, gunpowder, mounted, armor and air units with combat II as a prereq. Does anyone foresee any balance issues with this idea? (I know normally we'd associate kamikaze with air units, but I thought it'd be cool to have other suicidle unit options as well.)

My other question is regarding the AI - how does the AI decide what promotion to give a unit? My fear would be that the AI would upgrade a large amount of city defending units with the kamikaze promotion - which of course would be nice for the first wave of attackers, but probably not the best path to take for city defence. Is the AI smart enough to know that this promotion is best used for attacking?

2. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

How ironic that you posted this on December 7th. :D

Yes, the kamikaze tag has been used before, but I am not aware of any extensive use. For a land unit I suppose you could think of it as a BANZAI! charge. In Warlords and presumably Vanilla, if you gave an air unit this promotion it wouldn't actually kill the unit when it bombarded something. (This was a source of frustration particularly for me in my Warlords WWII mod.)

I have not had any experience with the A.I. giving lots of units this promotion when it shouldn't, but I always look at it this way: if the A.I. can screw up, it probably will. :)

3. 99wattr89

99wattr89 Warlord

You could make it only available to attacking unit classes - units's with offensive UnitAIs like Swordsmen etc.
    That way the AI would only be able to give it to units that it was going to be attacking with anyway.
    Another thing to try might be making it require a promotion that the AI normally gives only to attacking units - like city raider, or something like that.

4. Silence101

Silence101 King

Ha, ha - that was totally not planned.

Gotta love that AI. I'll have to play with it a bit more and see if there's any issues.

Oh, that's a good idea. I'll make that adjustment - that'll probably solve any AI concerns... that I can think of, anyway.

5. 99wattr89

99wattr89 Warlord

I'm glad I was able to help.
    I like your idea, I'm going to try it myself.

6. Fanatic Demon

Fanatic Demon Student in Wizardry

Personally I love putting kamikase on suicide terroist. I make them invisible, available with Explosives and onlybuildible with Theology civic. I prefer them to use them and a first stike weapon agains large stacks in peace time before I start a full scale war. :D

7. Silence101

Silence101 King

As sadistic as it sounds, I like that idea. So the unit is invisible (hidden nationality too, or is that necessary?) and has the kamikaze promotion... does it cause collateral damage? This is an interesting idea.

8. Silence101

Silence101 King

How do you tie unit production to a civic? I couldn't find a xml tag for it anywhere.

9. 99wattr89

99wattr89 Warlord

I think you need to use Python.