- Katyusha

Marla_Singer

United in diversity
At the beginning of operation Barbarossa, when the war arrived on the Russian soil, a song quickly became very popular. The song is about a summer in the Russian steppes, when a young lady named Katyusha thinks about her heroe who left the village to fight at the far away border.

Here's a full translation of this song lyrics.
Spoiler :
Apple and pear trees were a-blooming,
Mist was creeping on the river.
Katyusha set out on the banks,
On the steep and lofty bank.

She was walking, singing a song
About a grey steppe eagle,
About her true love,
Whose letters she was keeping.

Oh you song! Little song of a maiden,
Head for the bright sun.
And reach for the soldier on the far-away border
Along with greetings from Katyusha.

Let him remember an ordinary girl,
And hear how she sings,
Let him preserve the Motherland,
Same as Katyusha preserves their love.

I'm particularly moved about that song as it expresses well the sacrifice of a Nation which has left millions of its sons in a fight against a merciless enemy. A fight which ultimately became the one of a whole people. This video expresses it very well to me.

Link to video.

When an intensive rocket launcher arrived on the front, the red army soldiers quickly knicknamed it "Katyusha", in honor of that song. Proving how popular it was in its ranks.

From the other side of the front, the same rocket launcher was knicknamed "Stalinorgel" (Stalin's organ). A knickname which is perfectly understandable considering its horrific sound of death. When I first heard its noise, I thought it was the howling of the personification of death, carrying its scythe.

Link to video.

Nowadays, Katyusha is part of Russian folklore. However, the meaning of the song remained from generations to generations. Stalin and Soviet Union are gone, but that song will always remain. And when Russians are smiling in hearing two sisters singing it on TV, it's because it represents the sacrifice of these millions of sons for the people... for Katyusha.

Link to video.

This is the actual recording of those days.

Link to video.

The song was so popular back then, that it was made a military march.
This is a parade for Victory Day. People are dressed in uniform of those days. See from 3:53

Link to video.

Katyusha is actually a diminitive from of Katerana. Katerina - Katya - Katyusha. Just how Marla would be Marlusha )

I prefer Polyushko Polye myself.

Link to video.
And God, are those rockets terrifying!:eek:

Marla, thank you for your kind words about our people. Katyusha is indeed one of the most well-known Soviet songs related to WW2, there are only a few of others which are as remarkable as it is ("The Sacred War", "Blue headscarf" etc.)

I'll post a few other similar style songs which are much less known abroad, but very popular in Russia:

Spoiler :
"Синий платочек" (The blue headscarf)

Link to video.

"В землянке" (In the dugout)

Link to video.

"Под звёздами балканскими" (Under Balkan stars)

Link to video.

Top Bottom