keep civ V a turn based strategy game

dacole

Chieftain
With the addition of the turn timer Civ IV has been turned into warcraft or starcraft. If you are turning on automation or if you HAVE to turn on automation to have enough time to move all your units in one turn..if you can't build mixed stacks because you have to use the move all or move all units of the same type buttons every time, if you can't attack from three directions at once because you don't have time in a turn to move three stacks of units than you are no longer playing civ. A civ turn consists of moving units, checking all your cities and moving workers around (many times I work a tile a few turns then change to another tile) looking at production and THINKING about if it is good to rush it in some way or not, looking at changing your government settings. This is EVERY TURN. Now though no one wants to play any other game of civ than a fast or blazing turn timer one all in one setting. Pitboss..yeah no not going to happen...play by email..yeah no way in hell. The best map types, continents, terra, hemispheres never get used because no one is willing to put the time in to play them.

The most fun I had in a civ game was in play be email games of Alpha Centauri. It was like chess, and very fulfilling. If I wanted to play warcraft I would move to korea. I don't. Brian Reynolds tried to make a real time civ..it didn't work and is hardly any fun to play. Complicated games that require thought REQUIRE THOUGHT. There is only so fast that anyone can think.

Ok rant over nothing to see here move along. (please bring back at least the OPTION for play by email games in civ IV..I doubt anyone will ever use it but at least it will be there)

Not seeing relationship to starcraft...

Chess is the ultimate turn based strategy game and has a time limit.

/end thread

Sorry, but the turn-timer doesn't work that way (i.e. it doesn't convert a TBS game into a RTS game). At the fast end of the scale, it makes Multi-player games feel a bit like Speed Chess (Chess being the *original* Turn-based game). At the slow end of the scale it makes the game feel like a PBEM game-perfect for those who can't spend 6 or more hours at the computer in a given day. So I say KEEP the turn timer-its made Civ so much more accessible to time-poor people like me!

Aussie.

I'm going to use a different word to counter this argument; TMIT.

This thread seems to adress timers in multiplayer, while I feel that in essence civ is a single player game that can be played multiplayer as well. I feel not what the OP means. Not at all.

The only regret i have for Civ3, Civ4 and probably Civ5 multiplayer too is not the turn timer, but that usually no one should bother to play it. Indeed, most players quit in FFAs including myself, because i know i can't win or the game is too long. There should be a mean to continue a game even if we are loosing. The sad thing being, that i have obsolutely no idea of how to proceed.

Civ Network will eliminate the "game is too long" bit, because it may be persistent, but what about the "i can't win" part?

The timer is only for online play I would assume. Would make no sense for a timer vs the AI (the AI is getting impatient!)

yeah lol. I make the sorry ai wait while I go use the bathroom or make a sandwhich. Having a turn timer for single player would be silly.

Chess is the ultimate turn based strategy game and has a time limit.

/end thread

Quick, let's get a time machine and inform all of those 19th century correspondence chess players that they're doing it wrong! :)

/off-topic

I don't think timers will be implemented for single-player, or at most they should be optional.

Just checked & [civ4] does have a turn timer....

I can see the point of the OP if multiplayer civ was played with turns that are waaaay to fast to handle in an intelligent way. If that is the case however you can always play with people who are willing to put up with a slower timer. Since you can yourself adress this issue it is pretty unfair to say that civ is anything like starcraft, or that civ even comes close with it's speed. That is just absurd.

StarCraft is... considered the best RTS ever, exclusively played on several T.V. channels, played by millions of fans and has survived the test of time for the past 10 years! It wouldn't be a bad thing if Civ 'turned into' it...

Or a 'let the game not require steam thread.' You know, to keep things fresh.

Yes, because asking the devs not to turn the game into a RTS, which obviously won't happen, is exactly as trollish as complaining about the fact that the game obviously will use Steam.

Way to be fair there.

Heh, as long as the timers are optional, I'm all good with that. Most of my multiplayer sessions are with close friends, and we entirely expect Civ games to draw out over weeks, for the game to be an excuse to catch up as much as to actually play. As such, a required turn timer would be terrible for us.

Top Bottom