Keep or raze City State?

Soterius

Chieftain
So I conquered a city state and have two options, keep it or raze it. The info is really confusing, though! It says:

Option 1: KEEP CITY
Warmonger penalty for razing this city now is NONE
Penalty will be either refunded or doubled at the end of the war depending on whether or not you keep the city

What does all this mean? It says NONE but also says it might be refunded or doubled blahblahblah. So which one is it? None, refunded, or doubled? I don't have a clue what they mean!

Option 2: RAZE CITY
Warmonger penalty is TRIPLED for razing a city
Warmonger penalty for razing this city now is NONE

Again, I have no clue what they mean here. They say it is tripled but they also say it is none, so which one is it?

This is the most contradicting, unclear gibberish I have ever seen. Can anyone explain to me how this works?

They're separate statements.

The base warmonger penalty for the city that you took was none; Which is either refunded or doubled at the end of the war depending on whether you keep the city - something that doesn't come into play with City states since you can't negotiate who keeps the city. Anyway, the second part tells you when you raze a city that the warmonger penalty is tripled.

Again, since your penalty is zero (none), there's nothing to triple. So razing the city now does nothing.

If, on the other hand, the base penalty was Moderate; razing the city might have offered a severe or egregious penalty.

In other words, it makes no difference whether I keep it or raze it, the penalty is NONE in both cases? That's nice, haha. Is it always like this? Conquering city states never gives a penalty?

When did you conquer the city-state - penalties increase with each era.

I'm in the Medieval era. It seems crazy that there would be no penalty for occupying or razing a city state in that era...

Perhaps there was no penalty because most other civilizations had already denounced me as soon as I started a war with the city state?

Was the city state isolated? Was it influenced by any civs? Maybe no one else met them? I think that was the case with warmongering in Civ 5.

Top Bottom