Keeping the Lead in the Industrial Age

Nkot

Chieftain
Despite being one of the tech leaders prior to the Industrial Age, as soon as it comes around, I find myself losing my lead. One minute I'm sitting with Chemistry, Steam Power, and Democracy, and the next minute I'm scrambling to get my rivals' Railroads, Assembly Line, and Physics.

In terms of my tech path, I try to go for Assembly Line so I can get Infantry, but this seems to be a very high priority for the AI. Plus, not only can I lose the opportunity to trade it, but I always dislike trading a tech that gives such a powerful unit. Also, SP via Communism can be invaluable while establishing an oversea's empire, but if I research this I usually lose Assembly Line. To make matters worse, I can't trade Communism because of its relatively low number of beakers for the age.

I think my biggest problem is hesitant tech trading: I just feel like if a make a mistake, then a 4000-8000 beaker tech goes down the drain. Any advice? If it helps any I'm trying to play Immortal, small map.

Wow, I'm the complete opposite :p I become the tech leader as the game goes on. You play on a much higher difficulty than me, so I can't say all that much, but could it be that a) You need to be more flexible in trading and b) losing monostaries at SM is really hurting your research?
I don't know what else to say, I'm sure someone smarter than me will be more help.

The only times I'm hesitant when it comes to tech trading is with tech leaders, production leaders, or someone I'm about to invade. If it's not one of those circumstances I'll be trading my ass off. I'll even do uneven trades with civs that are sufficiently behind in tech so that it doesn't really matter. Because each one I gain like that means turns I don't have to spend researching it.

Other then that, I don't play at your difficulty level either, I'm playing on monarch right now, so I can't really say what else might be going wrong.

Top Bottom