1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping up in tech race early

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by VilleDick, Jan 26, 2005.

1. VilleDick

VilleDick Chieftain

Hey, I'm playing Civ3 v1.29 and everytime I start a new game I end up falling way behind in the tech race because everything takes 40 turns until I can build up libraries. Is using scientists (can I do that this early in the game?) a wise decision to keep up in techs or would it be better to go straight for the GL? My typical strategy is peaceful builder after an early border skurmish so I can have supremacy over my neighbors. What do you guys think I should do to keep up?

2. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

What skill level are you playing on? Are you playing a normal (un-modded) game? What's the map size? What civilization are you playing? What rules do you have selected/de-selected? :confused:

3. VilleDick

VilleDick Chieftain

Default rules, Regent Difficulty, I bounce back and forth between Germany and Persia usually. Large map, 6 or 7 other civs with me. This game in particular, I'm Germany, Regent, Large map, Default rules, Restless barbs. Not sure what map type it is yet because I always choose random for those things, and I haven't expanded far enough to map out much of the world

4. niiru

niiru Chieftain

On your F1 screen, how much % do you have the science slider bar set to?

5. TimBentley

TimBentley Deity

Make sure you have enough roads (requires having plenty of workers), plenty of cities, and engage in trading. Too large of an army could cause reduced research. Using scientists this early is unwise, since they hamper growth. I would suggest not getting hooked on the Great Library.

6. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

Ok cool. I prefere Germany because of the science and millitary bonus.

First of all build as many cities as quickly as possible, This should be easy on Regent, also build roads on all the tiles that the cities use to increase your trade, get luxury resourses, and connect all your cities to benefit. Next make sure your cities grow rapidly, use food tiles over production (grassland over forests) Cut down forests if you need more grassland, more trade=gold+science+luxury Ajust your slider bar as low as it will go without losing gold, maximize science. If you need 10% or 20% luxuries to keep cities happy and productive, do it so that cities are using as many tiles as possible. Mine grassland under Despotism. Take the technologies that are cheapest first rather than trying to complete a string. Trade techs with other civs right at the start if you can. Get Monarchy or Republic asap.

If you have tons of units, going to war may be a good idea to take more cities to help pay for them, or just plain to kill a few units off. It may be better to disband obsolete units rather than upgrade and just build new ones.

Libraries are cheap for the Germans, build these right away before anything else, they improve science and give culture.

I hope this helps

7. VilleDick

VilleDick Chieftain

I'm building libraries in all of my cities now, I have workers building roads to connect the cities. Obviously I'm relatively bad at this game even though I've played it quite a bit. I just took London from the English, and pop rushed a library to kill off some of the natives. I'm going to try and knock England down to one city, I wanna keep them alive so I can benfit from the GL when it's complete. I don't want to be dependent on the GL but it seems to be the only way I can keep up early in games. Guess I have to develop my tech trading skills.

8. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

On Regent you should be able to out-research the AIs. Try really emphasizing the workers and roads.

9. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

It sounds like you're still under despotism. Switch to Republic and Democracy asap, the trade bonus is well worth it. Avoid war once under these governments. Even Monarchy is better than Despotism, well... anything is. Do anything that would increase your trade output, and focus on Science.

10. rschissler

rschissler King

Just connecting cities with roads is not enough, you have to work every tile that has a citizen.

11. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

Yes, of course, but connect cities first using the used tiles before building roads on other tiles.

12. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I'm also a peaceful builder and I typically start off behind in techs. Granted, towards the end of the ancient age I'm usually even with the other civs. By the next age (can't remember what it's called) I'm usually at the lead and stay there. I've found it isn't a problem to start off behind everyone else so long as I'm not still there by the next age.

Of note, I typically play Chieftain and Warlord.

13. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Even on Monarch...
    On Regent, usually the AI's tend to be more advanced because of trade. They trade techs each other. Do the same. A premium tech may be worth 2 or 3 extra techs.

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

All of your cities? Stop that.

You build those improvements in productive cities. If your cities are only generating 1 or 2 gpt (normal for all corrupt cities you have), building libraries costs you maintenance for no gains.

15. niiru

niiru Chieftain

Several things might help you.. From the first turn, move your science slider all the way to 100%. Research techs that the AI doesn't go for often (generally the stuff on the bottom of the ancient tech tree, mysticism, polytheism). In the first tech age and the first half of the second tech age, trading techs is the key (not that it isn't the key in the rest of the game, but you can usually get to be the top of the tech race by that time on regant). If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, take a city or two of your neighbor early and settle for what ever techs they have. NEVER buy government techs from other civs, they're always too pricy. Don't rely on the Great Library at Regant level. It's really not necessary. Like others have said, roads and worker improvements are they key. The more you improve the land, the larger your cities get. The larger they get, the more money they're raking in. The more money they make, the more you have for science. :)

16. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Actually, this is bad.
    In the first turns, you need money rather than beakers. And, depending on your start position and map size, it can be a complete waste of resource, since you may often be stuck at 40 turns to complete research even at 100% science. It's much better to put the slider at the minimum and go for the zero research gambit. You will need later the money you spared, for buying maps, contacts and some key tech.
    This makes sense. But since AI's tend to overlook these techs (not always), it's better to go for them with the zero research gambit. You may often be the first to research them anyway.

I agree with the rest.

17. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

THIS IS WRONG. :nono:

I agree with tRicKy, the first tech that you research should be with the science slab at the minimum, that is 10%. Because you cannot research it faster, increase the luxury slide as you grow on population to stop riots. Do not turn citizens into clowns so early on in the game, you'll just waste gold, shields, beakers and above all growth which means less expansion...

Once you attain the first tech, only then may you increase the research slab to the max. Fiddle around with the slab and adjust it, trial and error. If you can research something in the same time but with less gold adjust the slab. You have to get used to doing this.

18. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

From the beginning, if your tech is taking 40 turns, put your slider bar to 10% until it's worth it to go higher. Further along, if you can spare 1 citizen in one city, put tech to 0% and turn that one citizen into a scientist. But keep in mind to put your slider bar up when it no longer takes 40 turns for research. Also researching the cheapest techs first generally in a good rule to follow, let's say writing will take 7 turns and polytheism will take 30, I'd go for writing unless I was desperate to get Monarchy.

I find this one scientist thing to be kind-of a cheat, oh well it's allowed.

19. bingen

bingen Prince

Not necessarily. He is playing the Germans, so no early 40 turn gambit presents itself, except the warmonger's approach of min researching Iron Working then upgrading warriors. In general, if no juicy second level tech is available(mathematics especially, but also writing/iron working) then going 100% on pottery is often the best option. It has been a while but whem I played vanilla Deity my typical start would be 100% on pottery, then minimum on either math or preferably polytheism, then min. on Republic. Prudent trading is needed to fill in the gaps.

Also, libraries are a great deal for scientific civs.

20. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

Libraries are the sh** for scientific Civs! :D Universities are the second most useful improvement. Getting these early can give a huge advantage later on ;)