Kentucky church votes to ban interracial couples

For whoever asked earlier where the New Testement specifically says homosexual relations are bad, it's in Romans 1:27, just to name one.

That was describing what was going on at the time, and was evidence of their corruption.

I don't think that anyone is denying that there can be corrupting homosexual behaviour. The denial is that all homosexual behaviour is corrupt. If you look elsewhere, Paul condemns 'strangled meats', but I've never seen anyone worry about snared rabbit. They're different things

A homosexual marriage, monogamous and blessed with love, is not the same scenario Paul is describing. They're different things.

It specifically mentions shameful acts. Buggering a sheep is shameful, whether you're a male human or a female human, but it never mentions which homosexual acts are shameful. Anything else is interpretation.

That was describing what was going on at the time, and was evidence of their corruption.

I don't think that anyone is denying that there can be corrupting homosexual behaviour. The denial is that all homosexual behaviour is corrupt. If you look elsewhere, Paul condemns 'strangled meats', but I've never seen anyone worry about snared rabbit. They're different things

A homosexual marriage, monogamous and blessed with love, is not the same scenario Paul is describing. They're different things.
Acts that are always closed to life are intrinsically wrong, if you could please explain what kind of acts between people of the same sex are open to life (reproduction) I'd be grateful.

Not consuming blood was always designed to have only lasted a time and not in perpetuity.

Acts that are always closed to life are intrinsically wrong, if you could please explain what kind of acts between people of the same sex are open to life (reproduction) I'd be grateful.

So, hugging, kissing and other platonic acts are "intrinsically wrong" too? They don't result in reproduction, no matter who is performing them.

Not consuming blood was always designed to have only lasted a time and not in perpetuity.

I cannot over-ride what the Church says. All I can do is point out what Paul says and what reality says. As far as I'm concerned, the Church is wrong, it's built its foundation on sand. An act that results in the Fruit is not under the law. If the Church wants to rebuild a new set of laws, and have people obey them ... well, that's their choice.

Not consuming Blood is one of the few Old Testament Commandments which the Apostles themselves agreed is required of everyone, including gentiles. There is no indication that it is meant to be temporary, or at least no more temporary than the world in which we must eat anything.

Not consuming Blood is one of the few Old Testament Commandments which the Apostles themselves agreed is required of everyone, including gentiles. There is no indication that it is meant to be temporary, or at least no more temporary than the world in which we must eat anything.

Wait, does this mean that Christians aren't allowed to eat medium rare steak?

Wait, does this mean that Christians aren't allowed to eat medium rare steak?
It hasn't stopped me, and it certainly hasn't stopped the assorted Christian countries from including blood sausages in their national cuisines. I once asked Magister for more explanation of this since he seems like the type who'd know, but he never did respond.

I personally am not a big fan of steak, and don't think I've tried it less than medium well. Do medium rare steaks actually still have blood in them? I would think that the blood would be at least almost all drained out before cooking.

Edit: I just looked it up, and found that a properly drained and cleaned steak should contain almost no blood even when served extra rare. The "meat juice" is mostly water, fat, and myoglobin protein. The red color comes from myoglobin in the muscle, not hemoglobin in the blood.

The prohibition against eating blood is given twice in Leviticus and once in Deuteronomy, but those were as part of the Law of Moses. Some Christians would disagree, but I don't think gentiles need to concern themselves with that. (I would instead agree with Orthodox Jews that gentiles need concern ourselves only with the Seven Noahide Laws rather than the 613 Mitzvot of the Law of Moses, and that following either law has no merit unless done from love of God and the belief that He wants you to keep the commandments.) What does concern gentiles is the prohibition given to Noah in Genesis 9:4 and the decision of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15.

Genesis 9:4 said:
But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Leviticus 3:17 said:
It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, in all your dwelling places, that you eat neither fat nor blood."
Leviticus 17:11 said:
For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life.
Deuteronomy 12:16 said:
Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out on the earth like water.]
Acts 15:28-29 said:
For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality.

It seems that a properly drained and cleaned steak should be fine, but things like blood sausages and blood pudding are a different matter. Consuming something that might still have a small amount of blood in it despite attempts to remove it is not at all the same as consuming something which uses blood as a primary ingredient.

Christianity has long held that sin lies in the will; nothing done unintentionally can be a sin (although it could be the result of the sin of negligence). It is possible to sin by doing things that are not at all wrong in themselves if you believe them to be wrong, or to not sin by doing things that you do not realize are wrong. It would certainly be wrong for me to eat blood or to encourage anyone else to do so, but that does not mean that I should be condemning those ignorant of the commandment either.

But what's the reasoning behind the consumption of blood being considered immoral, to the point where it's the only dietary restriction mentioned in the New Covenant?

Anyone else here find the word "gentile" somewhat offensive? Or am I the only one?

Since the majority of "christians" are gentile, he was referring to Christians who live by the law of the OT. Gentile was only used to distinguish between a Jew and a non-Jew. You cannot un-become a gentile, unless you convert to a Jew. Jews do not convert to "Christianity". BTW, circumcision and keeping the law, is converting from being a gentile. I suppose that in itself may offend some.

Becoming a Christian does not mean converting from being a gentile. A Christian by definition is one who follows Christ, and Christ never converted to or from anything. Only some Jewish Christians themselves taught conversion that way. That was one of the first issues the church had to settle. When a Christian "converts", they are no longer following themselves, but God. Jesus was the first born who did completely follow God, and could only do so, because He was God. No man can follow God unless God gives him the power to do so.

Negligence is not ignorance. Negligence is not doing something you should be doing through knowledge of.

I've used that excuse before. I recall actually reading the relevant parts of the bible to that graph, and I don't see a problem (other than the bible being outdated, culturally and/or morally wrong that is).
So, I admit it: I forgot about this. I typed up an almost complete response, and then got busy and forgot it entirely. I’m sorry for gravedigging this thread so seriously, but I did promise that I would respond, and I take that seriously. I don’t especially want this thread to get resurrected, and don’t have the time to post much, but I will follow through on the agreement that I made.

So if this gets closed or I get points or something, then OK, that’s fine. What follows this paragraph is my (mostly) original response:

OK, I’m going to address these in order, beginning at the top left and working down that column before switching to the next column. So number 1 is the Genesis 2:24 one, and number 5 Genesis 38:6-10 one.

Entry 1: Genesis 2:24 reads “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” All the extra stuff associated with this verse simply isn’t there, and there’s nothing in the surrounding context suggesting any of this. This is basically a “let’s throw together lots of our ideas about marriage in the Bible into one entry,” and is not a sourced objection. Simple misdirection, or more charitably, a poorly expressed summation.

Entry 2: It’s pretty common knowledge that concubinage was used in ancient times, so this falls into the “boring” category. It’s also incorrect when viewed alongside the heading of the graph, since concubinage is by definition not marriage per se. But if the point is that men could legallly have multiple sexual partners, then that’s true. But it’s also not “marriage,” so is both poorly expressed, uninteresting, and inaccurate.

Entry 3: This one is unbelievably awful. First of all, the notion that a man acquires a woman’s property upon marriage in the ancient Near East, while probably mostly true, is not talked about in this passage, so the citation is off. (Note that general passage, not the specific verse -- they’re probably betting that people won’t look it up.) Abraham was also definitively not married to Hagar, so this would not qualify as an example of marriage, making its inclusion into this graph unnecessary. If it’s supposed to be an example of a man with a non-wifely sexual partner, then it’s redundant with 2.

Entry 4: There’s no specific citations, so that’s unhelpful. But yes, it’s true that some men had more than one wife. (Finally, one that’s actually talking about marriage!) This is well-known and hardly some secret revelation. (And thus falls into the “well-known” and “boring” categories.)

Entry 5: I’m actually surprised that this is the example used to discuss Levirate marriage. Check the passage again -- no one in here is actually commanded by God to do anything. Judah is the one telling his son to marry his brother’s widow. Is this an example of marriage in the Bible? Yep! Is it an example of a divine commandment regarding marriage (and thus important for determining what marriage should be for Jews or Christians, rather than can be)? Nope. Also, this is interpreted in a deliberately uncharitable, modern light: there’s nothing in the passage that says Tamar was required to do anything at all; the only person being bossed around is Onan, by his dad. Saying she was “required” to do anything is simple interpolation of modern prejudices, unless justified through the application of other relevant passages.

Entry 6: Deuteronomy 22:28-29 reads "If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days.” That this is interpreted to mean that the woman who was raped was required to marry her rapist shows the modern prejudices of the writer. In a society which highly valued virginity, and in which she might not be able to find a husband otherwise, she might WANT to marry this guy -- very messed up in our minds, but it’s not a requirement that she marry him, but is in fact acts as a protectionary measure for them. (This is reinforced by the fact that it explicitly says that he cannot divorce her, ever. This is aimed at helping the woman, and somewhat punishing the man, not punishing the woman. This seems strange because of modern ideas of sex, marriage, and love.) It’s also not clear at all that this functions as a requirement that she marry him -- just because he can’t get out of marrying her doesn’t mean the reverse is true, either as a matter of history orl ogic. When viewed contextually (Cf. Exodus 22:16-17 -- seriously, look it up!) its clear that the obligation is entirely on the side of the rapist. This entry is only problematic for those who both insist on judging the past through modern prejudices and don’t do their homework.

Entry 7: This one is actually mostly true! This bit about the women having to submit sexually to their new husbands is an assumption that present in the text, but quite possibly true. Regarding the Deuteronomy passage: it should be noted that when compared to the context of the times, this is actually pretty generous; it would have been pretty common to just keep captured women as slaves for sex and other work. These women are kept as wives, and can’t be sold -- presumably they’re given all the other rights of wives as well. So this is pretty bizarre by our standards, but would have been pretty decent treatment by theirs. I’m not saying you have to like it, or find it OK -- just that you should view this in context, which this simplistic graph does not.

Entry 8: This is yet another interpolation based on modern prejudices. It’s not clear at all that “giving” a man a wife requires or even allows for the non-consent of the woman. (We’re still familiar with the idea of a father “giving away” his daughter at the alter, after all, yet if I said my wife’s father did that, you’d hardly assume that he made her marry me.) This passage is about the rights of slaves versus the rights of masters -- slaves have the right to keep their families together, but they can’t deprive masters of their property. If anything, this verse is more consistent with a meaning of “give” that’s more along the lines of “allow” or “permit” -- if it was a statement of a master’s power to assign spouses, then he could perhaps take his slave’s wife away, thus nullifying the threat that this verse is supposed to counteract (of a slave taking his master’s property by taking his wife with him when he was mandatorily freed at the Jubilee.)

Now, you don’t have to like any of this. You can think it’s all immoral, or proof that the Bible is garbage, or whatever. I’m not trying to argue that point. What I’m arguing is that this simplistic graph seriously and perhaps deliberately misunderstands the Biblical text. Regardless of the ethics behind these laws, most of them don’t say anything close to what’s implied here.

Top Bottom