Keshiks - conquering to the infinite?

strijder20

Wallowing in irony
Hello,

We all know what Keshiks are :) They are easily the best unit in the game (when fighting against it's contemporaries, of course - they don't beat Stealth Bombers) and it's easy to take down a lot of AI cities with them.
I've wondered, though, if it is possible to use them to conquer everything with them, without stopping to recover :c5happy:?

After the first few cities, I usually run into happiness problems. But let's take a closer look at that.

1-10 :c5unhappy: : Drastically slower growth rate.
11-20 :c5unhappy: No growth at all, 50% :c5production: penalty, -33% combat strength.
20+ :c5unhappy: : Revolts.

It is possible to keep an empire running with all of those penalties. No growth is going to hurt your science and commerce, but that is compensated by the cities you conquer. Lower production isn't good, but again, the production you get from having a huge empire makes up for it.

Now the revolts. Keshiks are great fighting, so they are also great at putting down revolts. Keeping one as a garrison per two cities will usually allow you to kill those rebels fairly quickly, by mobilising all the Keshiks in the area. This also has good synergy with Honour's finisher, opener and Military Caste.

The main problem with this strategy is the amount of horses. However, by conquering all those lands, you'll get a lot of them too.

Do you think this is feasible?

Don't you also get a combat penalty at 11-20 unhappiness? That seems to be the big factor, I have tried this with Songhai (same strategy) and after the third civ falls, that penalty makes it more difficult.

When going on a domination rampage you can't let yourself be hindered by the +20 :c5angry:. You have to make do with the -33% penalty. Later on as you pillage and conquer you will get more gold and gpt while city resistances will subside, so buying courthouses will ease the unhappiness.

I went under -40 for a dozen of turns when i played a massive domination game with China and their chokonus. Fact is that a massive army of ranged units are by far the least affected by this malus.

Keshiks aren't bad too since they can dodge mostly all attacks. But i think that chokonus do a better job at -20 happiness or under than keshiks because they can shoot twice.

With 100 hp units G&K will probably address this op situation.

But i think that chokonus do a better job at -20 happiness or under than keshiks because they can shoot twice.

Keep a Keshik alive for 17 turns and it can shoot twice. :D

Depends on the level, it's definetly feasible on Emperor and below. On Immortal and Diety AIs will spam cities and tech fast enough you may atucally want to get rid of the unhappiness penalty while fighitng by taking a few turns off conquest and rushing for SBs, also depends on the map, Pangea/Great Plains would be ideal, Contients would be tougher. Off course you could just raze a lot of worthless cities and keep killing. I got my first immortal win with Keshiks, they're awesome.

Don't you also get a combat penalty at 11-20 unhappiness? That seems to be the big factor, I have tried this with Songhai (same strategy) and after the third civ falls, that penalty makes it more difficult.

As it has been mentioned here, ranged attack more or less nullifies this. And once you get 4 range-logistics Keshiks - which is definitely possible - you can deal at least 8 damage per turn to every target, whatever the combat modifiers are (there is an exception for the last point of HP, IIRC).
Keshiks can also dodge everything up to Tanks, so they won't get slaughtered on defence because of the modifier. Beware of Lancers, though.

Isn't the unhappiness penalty for more than 11 unhappiness 50% less combat effectiveness?
I guess you could make do if you have a huge army but they all die a lot easier, slowing your conquest.

EDIT: Alternatively can't you just raze all but the capitol city? As the cities are small it will only take 1-4 turns so when you conquer the next city the other one will be gone already.

Isn't the unhappiness penalty for more than 11 unhappiness 50% less combat effectiveness?
I guess you could make do if you have a huge army but they all die a lot easier, slowing your conquest.

EDIT: Alternatively can't you just raze all but the capitol city? As the cities are small it will only take 1-4 turns so when you conquer the next city the other one will be gone already.

That's the point, this rule doesn't count for Keshiks because if you are using them properly, they don't even get damaged.

And yes, you can snipe capitals.

Top Bottom