1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Khatami promises ”hell” to any aggressor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Azadre, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Azadre

Azadre One more turn...

Iran's President Mohammad Khatami Thursday warned that Iran would unleash hell if attacked. "If, God forbids, any aggressor puts its foot on this land, Iran will turn into a burning hell for them," he told thousands of demonstrators who had gathered at a famous square to mark the 26th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution.

"The Iranian nation is not after a war, violence or clashes, but the world must know that the Iranians will not tolerate any invasion," Khatami said, to the chants of 'Death to America' and Death to 'Israel'.

According to IRNA, Khatami branded US threats as part of a 'psychological warfare', being waged in accordance with the 'expansionist policies of the American conservatives'.

The president also denounced 'the slanders of the American rulers against the Iranian nation and the establishment', saying they were aimed at 'putting a cover on the failures of the extremist US policy'.

© 2005 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
    ~~~~~~~
    Khatami...? I guess the Iranians aren't playing.

2. Verbose

Verbose Chieftain

Is his game foreign or domestic policy when saying this?

3. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Chieftain

I was under the impression Iran already was a burning hellhole?

4. Scuffer

Scuffer Scuffer says...

Shouting about the dangers of forgien threats is a very well known popularity boost, so I'd guess domestic.

5. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

6. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

What country would not say it would give any and all invaders hell?

7. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

This speech is disturbingly similar to something I once heard from Comical Ali.

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

They all say the same old warnings: "You will never cross the line of death!"

But in this case, I am doubtful if the USA can handle a two front insurgent war.

Even just the one seems to have the eagle's claws full right now...

:)

9. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Deja Vu all over again! I feel like Im reliving the last two years. The only difference is that Iran ends with an 'N' and not a 'Q'. Both sides are making the same sort of statements and sword rattling prior to the outbreak of war. Its all so similar to the runup to the Iraq war, I almost feel like a time traveller from the future, who knows everything thats about to happen, but Im the only one and nobody will listen to me:crazyeye:

10. CurtSibling

Welcome to the new world order!

We all have seen this sequence of events repeat many times in the last 15-20 years...

:)

11. Bozo Erectus

Yeah we all know the drill by now. A small country doesnt kowtow to the U.S., the U.S. declares them an international outlaw, and then with or without world support, invades. Grenada and Panama were dress reheaserals for the slightly bigger fish theyre after today.

12. DexterJ

DexterJ Chieftain

I cant imagine it will get the small amount of support that the Iraq war received, which in Britain and the majority of the world, was opposed by the majority of people. there is no way that parliament is going to authorise another invasion after the fiasco of Iraq.
    It will be even more opposed by the international community, and I think the Iran regime is more popular than the Iraqi one- an invasion could be even more less successfull.
    Also Britain is too stretched and cant afford another troop deployment, not in an election year especially. America will have to go it alone, perhaps with a few obscure eastern eruopean and central asian nations that were roped into iraq.

13. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

I don't even think eastern European countries would help. Poland seems to have been quite disappointed with Iraq.

14. Bozo Erectus

If we're realy going to attack Iran next, the only ally we can count on this time will be Israel. If Israel were to get involved in a big way, then it will probably become a much wider war, and involve other Arab states.

15. CurtSibling

Well, as we all know the entire world is filled with commies and traitors - So the brave PNAC admin will have to go it alone.

As the American people cringe with despair at their increased tax bills and decreased wage slips...

:(

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

What's frightening is that the President is supposed to be the moderate element of Iran's government...

17. Bozo Erectus

What is the guy supposed to say when standing at a microphone in front of a million people that are shouting 'death to America'? I dont find it frightening at all, its routine stuff in the region, standard operating procedure, somebody is always promising 'hell' for somebody over there. The lousy, poorly written rhetoric was strictly for domestic consumption in Iran.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

I guess frightening is the wrong word.
    Churchill said something similar (although considerably more poetically), let's remember.

19. Bozo Erectus

Who knows, maybe within that cultural context, he sounds as poetic to his listeners as Churchill does to us (I doubt it though).

20. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator

Indeed. The fact that there were no burning flags is probably a sign that Iran actually desires friendlier relations with the US. :lol: