1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Khmer First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

You mean people on Youtube? They are trolls, racists, Eurocentrists, or nationalists disappointed their country isn't in Civ6 yet. Wait till the reveal of Indonesia and Gitarja for sexist comments....

2. Chasethemage

Chasethemage Chieftain

Oh, I was referring to the steam and Reddit comments

3. Guandao

That's why I avoid Steam forum and Reddit. Negative reddit comments tend to get downvoted though.

It must be the same on 2K forums as well.

4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Or that Germaine Greer will be the second leader for Australia.

5. shyPiano

shyPiano Chieftain

Indeed I did! Though apologies if I forgot to post it on the Nubia thread, can't remember if I did. You can always check this album, by the way.

And thanks! :) Lately I haven't been playing Civilization - my 3DS and Switch are grabbing all of my attention, and will do for the foreseeable future (Super Mario Odysseyyyy...!), but I still have a civic duty to perform for these forums ahah!
    Once I get back to Civilization, I'll have many new stuff to play with and changes to learn, it'll be fun!

6. Amrunril

Amrunril Chieftain

Looking over the bonuses in more detail, I realize that for all the talk of Khmer being good for tall play, they don't actually have much in the way of housing bonuses- just +1 from Holy Sites for the leader ability and increased incentive to build aqueducts with the same housing bonus every civ has access to. This means that they'll really be incentivized to select housing beliefs/policies so that they can make good use of their food/amenity bonuses. It also means they'll likely be closer to Rome than to India or Kongo in their capacity for early vertical growth.

Also, I didn't mention the culture bomb ability before, but I do like that it's a subtle nod (possibly an unintentional one) to Civ V's Angkor Wat. If I'd been designing a Civ VI version, I might have chosen something very similar as a wonder ability.

7. KnightModern

KnightModern Chieftain

me few hours ago
    "ehhh... I'll just sleep, it's more likely that they release first look tomorrow...."

Kimiimaro, Guandao and nzcamel like this.
  8. HEF

HEF Chieftain

Wait a second...

The Civ leaders don't speak?

9. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

I didn't even think of that. That's great work on their part.

I have a feeling they didn't want too many civ specific bonuses on a single tech, so they split up the UU and the Aqueduct.

Interestingly, their UU is situated right between Catapult and Bombard. Is there any chance the promotions will reflect that?

Catapult > Domray > Bombard

Given that a Khmer player is probably going for the aqueduct first, they'd already have catapults long before the elephants come to play.

I disagree with everybody calling them overpowered though. I'd actually place them on the low end of the scale based on the way religion is currently working (higher if a significant faith change is made, like district faith purchases).

They have aqueduct bonuses that are still arguably inferior to Rome's, the worst culture bomb (possibly also worse than Russia's early land grab), the only siege UU and encouragement to kill their own missionaries. The relic slot is admittedly sweet though.

Interestingly, they might be the only civ with significant religious bonuses that isn't forced to found a religion.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  10. Guandao

They do speak, but only for first meeting, declaring war, getting war declared upon, agenda disapproval and approval, and getting defeated. There's also one voiced quote in the Civilopedia, and some grunts, laughter, no/nej/la.

I have never triggered both of Philip's agenda cutscenes, Tomyris' agenda approval (even though I became declared friends with her in one game), and Amanitore's Agenda Approval.

conorbebe, CivLuvah and HEF like this.
  11. LastSword

LastSword Prince

I think that leader is portrayed historically correctly.
    He looks terribly generic though after seeing all those previous leaders and there is literally only one thing that gives me south-eastern asian vibes.
    I would truely prefer more "exotic" (for european racist) and less historical visualization, but with "wow" factor.
    Maybe indonesian leader stole all the magnificent staff.

Traits are, well, for some reason intentionally created that way, same pattern. Martyr part is somehow interesting, I am gonna look for the historical source of it.

Guandao likes this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Typically, the UUs that don't replace a generic unit also have to be built fresh and not have generic units upgrade to them.

13. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Jayavarman VII is depicted with ear plugs and neck rings as well.

14. HEF

HEF Chieftain

Thank you for your reply.:)

That's a relief.
    I've only seen 1 "Let's Play..." video on YouTube but the player was so chatty, it was difficult to tell if the Civ even spoke whenever they appeared for a moment.

Guandao likes this.
  15. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Also, taking another look, I don't see anything to suggest tall play on them aside from the (small) food bonus. Kongo is going to remain the king of tall empires.

No housing bonus (unless you count aqueduct encouragement).

Bonuses for spamming religious units, holy sites and relic slots. You'll need to expand to make full use of those relics.

The extra amenity helps for tall play, but I typically see amenity bonuses as more of a wide play factor.

16. Miravlix

Miravlix Chieftain

I'm a bit surprised at how ignorant the comments have been so far, every time it's been DLC+patch and every SINGLE time everyone comment based on DLC without patch. While the patches so far hasn't been a big deal, the Khmer preview video at least suggest we might be seeing religion getting a power buff, but still people ignore the fact that we will get a patch.

17. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

there's a different thread for the patch.

Noble Zarkon and CivLuvah like this.
  18. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

conorbebe likes this.
  20. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

It's also the Khmer UU in Age of Empires 2 :p

Siptah and conorbebe like this.