1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids sent a rubber chicken to space!

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Atticus, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Atticus

Atticus Chieftain Retired Moderator

This is awesome!

LINK

High school kids sent a rubber chicken Camilla to space with a helium ball:

They put with her some insects and sunflower seed. They are going to try and plant the seeds. This is one of those things that makes you jealous you never thought of it.

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Did it have a pulley in the middle? (That may be a bit of an obscure reference).

3. Atticus

Atticus Chieftain Retired Moderator

Indeed! Google was very helpful though. :)

4. CivCube

CivCube Interphasin'

Those things take up so much space in one's pants.

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Chieftain

Hah, before I read the article, I thought the students put the seeds in space so that they would fly to other planets and be planted. :crazyeye:

6. Civ001

Civ001 Chieftain

Put all of our funding in to this research development now!

7. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

Indeed so. And yesterday I was just wondering how it'd be awesome to send a helium balloon into the upper atmosphere and take some pictures from up there.

8. Bluemofia

Bluemofia Asteroid = Doomsday

I've done it before in high school as well with the Adler Planetarium in Chicago in 2007, though it was to 100,000 instead of 120,000 feet. Didn't get to send live things into space, because that cricket we were trying to send didn't agree with us and got away sometime between launch and retrieving, but you do get a lot of cool things if you send instruments on it.

Sending a temperature sensor, you can map the boundary of the troposphere and stratosphere where the temperature inverts, a Geiger counter you can map when the cosmic ray showers start to happen as well as when they die down and turn into individual cosmic ray events, etc. We even managed to record a plane passing by.

Coolest part is, if you send it up at a clear day, you can actually see the balloon pop at 100,000 feet. The balloon expands enough such that it is big enough for you to see on the ground. (I remember doing the calculations based on video footage of when the balloon popped, but I don't remember the numbers anymore.)

9. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Flooring inspectors have roomy pants, as do some more illicit cousins.