kids these days...

Do you think "slapping" or ticking is appropriate?

• Total voters
Oh hell yeah. Spare the rod, spoil the child. It ain't just some musty ol' proverb, it's words to live by.

Oh hell yeah. Spare the rod, spoil the child. It ain't just some musty ol' proverb, it's words to live by.

Do you think corporal punishment is acceptable when performed by people who arn't parents? E.g, Schools?

Do you think corporal punishment is acceptable when performed by people who arn't parents? E.g, Schools?

No not really, it's for that stuff like detention, writing papers and notes in the agenda's are for. I think it's up to the parent to decide on that.

If I ever have children, they're definitely going to have to know that I am "the boss of you." And if my son slapped his mother...well, let's just say he's be sleeping on his belly until he turned 18.

That mom is dumb, but the son is a total brat. And yes, Dr. Phil is incredibly stupid.

I'm not watching the video, but yes, it's appropriate to whack a kid if it's out of line.

As a young, reckless kid, I was occasionally slapped around by my folks.

I didn't respond well to it and it didn't really teach me anything. All it really did was piss me off provoke me further.

Yes, spanking your child is OK (don't know about slapping, but oh well, potayto-potahto), both at home and in schools.

Remembering back to when I was a wee lad...

once, when I was 8, my dad slightly hit me on the knee, most terrifying thing I ever knew back then because that never happened around the house. Mind you, it didn't hurt at all and me and my brother were acting licke brats times 10 in the back of the car well into a 10 hour drive and he just was at his wits end I suppose. Still freaked me out like hell. I never want my child to feel like that.

Not that some stern talking to and the odd "I am so dissappointed in you" did not hurt. But it allowed for some dignity and at least made me feel like they cared for and respected me.

Dad had the belt, mom had the hand smack.

I needed both.

:lol: Indeed! Mom's one single backhand was actually more effective than all the beltings dad ever gave me. I never, ever, called her an old hag again. then she starts bawling and I had to console her and tell her I deserved the slapping and she didn't do anything wrong.

I think Chris Rock had a joke that kids shouldn't be allowed to be hit by thier parents, they should be hit by random strangers in public. That way they have no malicious feelings towoards thier parents and will be motivated not to act up when thier parents take them places.

"See Jimmy, that's what'll happen to you if you start yelling in Sears again. Now tell the man you're sorry."

If your children become so out of control that physical violence is your only recourse, then the fault lays with the parents, not the child. In these cases, I'd sooner advocate beating the parent(s).

If you children become so out of control that physical violence is your only recourse, the fault lays with the parenting, not the child.

I agree with that. If your kid thinks so little of you that loss of your respect isn't enough of a reason to behave... I don't know.

2 and 4.

Dude. That's just bad. It's not OK to spank except when the child hits you.

So if I would, change it to 3 and 4.

Top Bottom