1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Kievan Food UHV Challenge

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jul 9, 2013.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Nice :)
    For Kiev starting without a religion is intentional (same for Hungary and Bulgaria)
    It might be a good idea to adjust the starting civics, for some civs it had already been done for 1.4

Well, that's only true if no more changes happen on the mod :)

2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

This game is only in viceroy, for fun, but i still have no idea how to get more than 30.000 food. I remember chep used to have big cities, but i simply do not have time to make them grow.

Attached Files:

3. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

Seems like i´ve got the new record: 25k Food at 1251 (Emperor level).

My strategy? Start as Byzantium and then switch to Kiev when the time comes, you will born with 1 additional settler, hehe

Through smart trades and technology selling you can earn a lot of gold and income, with a super powerful Byzantium as ally and trade partner (you were Byzantium before so you left the empire really powerful and rich).

I´ve sold some luxuries to Byzantium for the full price, a couple of times (specially when the companies spawns, they will buy your iron and horse) so money wasn´t a problem this game..

Of course i´ve already beated the game starting straight as Kiev, but the food UHV was about 1290.

Attached Files:

4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

You misunderstood something. The uhv challenge says: collect the most food by 1301. Also Abusing the change civ mechanics is not considered as cheating, but almost. And such games does not count toward any challenge or feast.

5. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

So why do we have the option to "switch to a new civilization" when one rises? if it´s "almost a cheat"?

About the food, the counting stops whenever you reach the 25.000 mark, so it´s impossible to measure the amount collected by 1300. Once you reached your goal, you will never know how much you did by them.

Nevertheless, i´ve already played straight as Kiev a couple of times and beated like 1290´s. The strategy wasn´t very different from this posted campaign. Sell Farriers to Byzantium and earn at least Engineering, build a fort at "yeakterinoslav" with your 3 initial workers BEFORE settle one of your settlers and then settle it up the fort, 1 tile west of the river and 1 north of the wheat, your south flank will be protected with this. Then just build new cities once your cities reach the maximum of happiness limit and settle in moscow area, Kerson at Crimea and conquer your way to the north with 3 or more Druzhinas.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

It's a perfectly valid option to compare the earliest dates of completion.
    25k food in 1251 is great, nice game Rafaelvdervaart! :)

On the other hand your point stands too, it's hard to measure this to the other games in the thread, where it's max food on the given date.
    Also it's a huge advantage to start with an extra settler, especially for this UHV.

Btw, actually the UHV-check mechanics was changed for 1.5, and as a side-effect it's no longer possible to keep track of UHV counters after the UHVs are completed.
    So he couldn't even show the amount of food from 1300 even if he played the extra turns.
    I'm considering to change it back.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Rafaelito likes this.
  7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Ahh, didn't see your reply before.
    Yeah, I prefer it the other way around, as I mentioned in the post above.
    I don't really like that option, it has more problems than benefits IMO in all mods (even in base RFC).
    Was toying around with the idea to remove them entirely.
    In RFCE we even have separate starting stacks for the human player and the AI with some civs.
    Since the option to switch need to happen after the spawn, the switching human player gets the AI stacks instead of the intended one.

Rafaelito likes this.
  8. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Does it need to be removed? If most players ignore it completely then surely there isn't a problem just leaving it in? Particularly if some players enjoy switching for flavour. The only issue is when you accidentally click yes instead of no and end up switching civ by mistake!

Similarly, having the flip of cities to a rising civ be optional also has problems with abuse imo, with the ability to refuse the flip, destroy the starting stack, move all units out of the flip zone then destroy any additional units they get. I prefer mods like RFCCW where the flip is automatic and there's no choice around it, but again there's no issue with leaving it is because most players will click yes anyway.

That said I do think if we are going to have more challenges like this then it is a bit of an abuse to start with a civ and switch. As you say they get an extra settler and units as AI, which makes the food challenge much easier, and also you can design a powerful AI civ like Byzantium to support your needs. Have them research techs you won't start with so you can trade for them and make the whole game a lot easier. You could even abuse it more by having them settle and build up cities in the Kievan flip zone to give an even larger boost.

9. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I do not abuse this civ-change ever, but i used to do the flip destroy often. specially with Byz to prevent the ottomans to really kick off. As I believe the game is about to change history. So if the Byz's were strong enough (as i used to be) by the time the ottomans were on the rise, they could stop them. That's what i do. Sometimes its the same with Spain vs Aragon, but there its a bit more trickier.
    Back to topic, if you can it would be better to leave the food counter till 1300. the make the challenge tided to date.