1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Killbot's Trials of Civilization mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by killbot, May 26, 2005.

1. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Here's beta version 1 of the mod:

http://www.3ddownloads.com/civfanatics/civ3/modpacks/C3C_Improved.zip

Just unzip it to your 'scenarios' folder

And some of the more exciting features:

Armies made through combat are Great Armies - stealth attack and other bonuses

Minor tribes can sometimes appear when you clear a village. These guys are a resource that allows you to build combat units (barbarian cavalry, camelback cavalry), slaves (workers without a population unit), and guides (scouts).

Missionaries are 1.1.1 units that can stealth attack laborers and settlers, making other missionaries. These new missionaries can then be sacrificed.

Leaders can only come about through science ages. There are several varieties, though:
    Leader - make great army, finish improvement
    Prophet - make great army, finish improvement, act as an invisible missionary
    Holy Army - great army that makes convert missionaries

Leaders can finish normal improvements, but they can also finish Leader improvements, which are too expensive to make normally. These include:
    Economic Leader - +5% interest on gold
    Political Leader - second capitol
    Military Leader - can train armies
    Religious Leader - 16 culture, allows construction of Holy City (4 culture, money, tourism)
    Production Leader - adds to production in a city
    Science Leader - two free advances

Insurgency improvement hurts happiness and culture, but produces Rebel Guerillas, who have a hidden nationality

Government, not religious, improvements create culture. A nation's influence comes more from its government, and when one naiton conquers another, the conquered nation loses its governmental, not religious, institutions. Wonders and other things create culture as well.

Happiness comes more from improvements than from luxuries because the Marketplace no longer gives a luxury bonus.

Government types include dictatorship, republic, and monarchy (excluding starting govs). Government modifiers include absolute, limited, feudal, theocratic, fundamentalist, communist, fascist and democratic.

More steps between units (Spearman - Phalanx - Garrison - Pikeman, for example)

As time progresses, old resources stop being as vital. Just like you stopped needing saltpeter by the industrial age, you stop needing iron by medieval times and rubber by modern times.

I'd like to thank GIDustin for a lot of animations, the RaR team for tea, wool, Thailand, Refrigeration tech, and the Clipper anim, and the Ancient Med team for the Elven spearman anim and Assyria.

2. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Here's patch 3. It fixes the resource pictures and makes you unable to just build leaders. Just put the .biq in scenarios and the resources.pcx in scenarios/c3c improved/art

Attached Files:

3. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

Good choice, killbot. Trials of Civilization. I like it :goodjob:

But the link doesn't work. I know the problem, but check the link ;)

4. killbot

killbot Chieftain

I fixed the link. Also, I needed an official-sounding name that didn't really mean anything and bam, there it was.

5. EuropeanFury

EuropeanFury Tired Grumpy Warrior

It sounds great, I'll have to give it a try :king:

6. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Now that one just doesnt make sence.. what are we making the tanks out of? plastic?

7. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Basically, the amount of iron available in Civ3 is sort of ridiculously small when a map has 31 civs, and this mod was designed for that. However, you do need it for factories. The countries that do have it have the production bonus that comes from it. I also didn't think it was fair that by the middle ages, a lot of places just couldn't defend themselves, even with the necessary technology.
    And iron was never required for tank-building in Civ3.
    I'm also considering getting rid of the necessity for horses by the middle ages. That one would make more sense, what with breeding and all. I might just make iron become unnecessary by the time gunpowder units come around (basically, keep it like it is).

8. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

ah, so its more the case the civilizations become "self sufficient"

i like than :)

how about other resources appearing/dissapearing... cows more and more as Mcdonalds grows? ;)

9. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Yeah, cattle and wheat get more abundant as time goes on

10. NeverMind

killbot, there is no correct units_32.pcx file in the mod's directory.

11. killbot

killbot Chieftain

I'm working on another version. The leader improvements aren't working with the AI and I'm not sure that the Prophet, Leader, or Holy Army units will science age their way into the game.
    I've added some modern-era improvements and made the Iroquois into America's ancient age.
    I wanted to know what people thought about that. Which two of these civs is most important: Iroquois, Netherlands, Nubia, Indochina (Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos), Sumer, or Tibet?

12. NeverMind

killbot,

I vote for Netherlands and Iroquois. And keep up the mod-)

13. kevin2350

kevin2350 Chieftain

Killbot, in case you did not see my other post; I am getting disease in cities built on grassland and am told it is caused by the grassland.
    Also Assyria still comes up as Sumeria :eek:

14. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Here's an update. The leader thing didn't work out and I fixed the diseases. Enjoy.

15. Magma

Magma Prince

The v. 3 patch Zip is emphy:(

16. killbot

killbot Chieftain

Ugh. Gimme a sec.