Killing hundreds of enemy units, and they're not getting weaker...GRR

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by AccipiterQ, Jan 3, 2010.

1. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

I'm playing on Emperor or Immortal, I forget which, I don't have the game open right now. Ragnar declares on me for the 18th time. I have about 20 nukes waiting for the city in which he's stashed 100+ units. I decimate them, nothing left in that city. At the time he was 34% stronger than me. The next turn? He's only down to 30% stronger than me. Several turns later he moves another stack towards the same city he's been trying to get for a millenium. I have stealth bombers waiting, a ton of gunships, and other units. I wipe out his stack, while barely losing a unit, other than a couple bombers, and some mobile artillery that I use as throw-away units. I check the stats, and in 7 turns I have destroyed 154 modern armors of his, 105 mech infantries, 85 gunships, 50 mobile SAM's, and 30 mobile artilleries. The net result? He's now 35% stronger than me. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?? He keeps sending wave after wave of units after me each turn and I keep wiping them out. I'm getting boatloads of experience on my units for when I launch a counter attack in a turn or two..but I was hoping to wear him down, and it's just not happening. What gives?

2. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

The AI gets some pretty big production discounts on the high-end difficulty levels... Maybe he's just building them really fast. Or maybe he's drafting units like crazy and will actually get worn down eventually.

3. conception

conception Warlord

Sounds unbelievably frustrating but I'm not sure what you can do. Without knowing exactly how his rating is going up, the one thing I can say is that securing/disabling the means of production is just as important as killing his units because the only way to prevent him from sending more is to stop him from producing them.

4. AccipiterQ

AccipiterQ Chieftain

That's the hard part, he has 4 vassals, none of which are particularly powerful, but they're spread out (Huge, Terra map). All of them have access to oil, and all of them to aluminum.

5. Bushface

Bushface Deity

His vassals, I believe, contribute to his power rating.
    His units cost less to produce than yours.
    Presumably you are losing units in the process of killing his: this reduces your power rating.
    Try sabotage: destroy his luxury resources, make his citizens angry by fomenting unrest, blow up the factories in his main production cities, and so on.
    And, obviously, keep on destroying his stacks.