Kilmorph Lore?

Lilli47

Chieftain
Hey, I was reading around the civilopedia to try and find stuff out about Kilmorph or the runes of Kilmorph, but honestly I wasn't able to find a lot. I was just hoping to find out something about Kilmorph, but I'm not having a lot of luck. Even with the heroes for the RoK only one actually has anything to do with Kilmorph. Could anyone tell me a bit about Kilmorph, or direct me somewhere to read about her? Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching through the forums, but I wasn't able to find anything in particular.

edit: I guess I should be a little more specific than "tell me about kilmorph." What I am specifically wondering about is, what would everyday followers of her religion see. The citizens of an empire that follow the Runes of Kilmorph and such. What are the tenets of her religion I guess.

I need to get ready for class, so I don't have time to write a lot now. I may get back to it latter.

Well, if you count the Mithil Golem as a Kilmorph hero too then RoK has 2 heroes really associated with it plus one that actually serves Sucellus.

Kilmorph is called Goddess of the Earth, but she is also known as the Goddess of the Harvest. In addition to presiding over the minerals she also presides over the season of autumn, and answers the prayers of farmers by making sure their harvests are plentiful if they have worked hard enough to deserve this bounty. At the heart of the sphere is the idea that hard work is a good thing and should be rewarded, while laziness is a serious vice that cannot be excused. The Runes thus frowns on charity unless it can be clearly shown that those in need are victims of hard circumstances over which they had no control and not of their own laziness. Since Kilmorph blesses those who serve her and word diligently with wealth, many of her followers have come to see wealth as almost always being a sign of her favor and poverty a well deserved curse. Poverty is almost never forgiven unless it can be proven that the poor man was a victim of theft and not just looking for a handout. It can be extremely hard to convince them that one are not to blame for his own hardship, so the poor are often left to starve. The more devout worshipers of Kilmorph though would make sure to offer the poor some menial employment (only enough for the very thrifty to survive on) with an opportunity for advancement as they prove themselves reliable.

The work that exemplified Kilmorph is generally skilled labor, crafts that are slowly honed though years of practice. Her faith thus teaches that society itself should develop in a similar manner. RoK is a very classically conservative faith. They do not oppose change itself like the followers of Mulcarn do, but are very cautious about it. Theirs is a social contract that must evolve naturally and make all innovations stand the test of time before being adopted. They are very traditionalist, and value family connections greatly. Dwarves, and RoK worshipers in general, are naturally distrusting of anyone without close family ties. Most charity that does exist is taking care of one's close kin. Orphans and foreigners are often viewed as cursed. Any good orphan would have had the decency to be born to a member of a guild that would see to all his needs.

While the dwarves like rational self interest, Greed is considered a major sin. Although Tali (who represents irresponsibility, a care free attitude, a love of adventure, and in general all things fun) is the direct opposite of Kilmorph, those two gods are both neutral and so don't often fight outright. Kilmorph's main enemy if Mammon, God of Greed, and his hell is that most feared by the dwarves. This may be because Mammon and Tali are rather close, or many have simply moved past Kilmorph's prosperity gospel and fallen into his teachings. Mammon's followers are called the Dwergar, literally meaning outcasts. Most dwarves met on the surface are probably dwergar. These are viewed by those in the underhome as less dwarven even than humans of elves. To Kilmorph wealth is a reward meant mostly to remind us of the virtue of hard work. To Mammon it is an end unto itself, and should be gained with as little real work as possible. The Stewards of Inequity (Mammon's faith) work to keep all wealth in the hands of the privileged few who have never had to work a day in their lives, and to keep wages away form those who deserve them. Mammon's followers often dominate in the field of trade and finance, making those occupations particularly unsavory to the followers of Kilmorph.

Kilmorph's faith would not condone slavery for forced labor except maybe in payment for debts where the servitude is temporary and can be worked off. They favor apprenticeship, which could be seen as a sort of indentured servitude. It seems that part of the training of a Priest of Kilmorph is to spend time as an apprentice in various other trades and that they may later be expected to fill in for these skilled craftsmen in times of need.

I suspect that Soldiers of Kilmorph are expected to make all their own weapons, armor, and equipment. Self sufficiency is a big deal.

Kilmorph's temples contain deep vaults where no light is allowed. Runeskeepers stay in perpetual darkness and must navigate the tunnels, read, and write by touch alone. Many of the older vaults contain Basilisks, which would turn anyone who brought a light and looked upon them (presumably in an attempt to steal the treasures kept there) into stone.

Top Bottom