King Leonidas - This is Sparta

Alexander666

Chieftain

This mod adds Sparta as a playable Civilization.
Gods & Kings Expansion required.

Download and (WinRAR file) from this link:
http://speedy.sh/uCKZZ/King-Leonidas-This-is-Sparta-v-1beta.rar
Unpack the directory in your "C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS" folder.

Play as King Leonidas - the leader of the Spartans.

This Is Sparta (trait):
Leonidas gains :c5culture: Culture from killing enemy units. Melee units can make 2 attacks per round.
:c5strength: Strength for adjecent units increased 30% if adopting Discipline (Honor Social Policy).

Spartan (unit):
The Spartan is the unique unit replacing the Spearman.
More powerful than the Spearman and deadly against mounted units.

The Apothetai (wonder):
+15% :c5strength: Combat strength for units fighting on Spartan soil.
+5 :c5culture: Culture.
+3 :c5production: Production.
Some :c5unhappy: Unhappiness from lamenting women.

Other changes:
Workers renamed to Helots (the Spartan slave workers).
If completing the Honor Social Policy tree you get a free Social Policy.

Misc:
This is a beta version. Comments welcome on CivFanatics Forums.
Thanks to kaspergm from CivFanatics for help with the Social Policy code.

A few graphical spoilers to peak your interest:

Game setup screen:
Spoiler :

Loading screen (and Dawn of Man text):
Spoiler :

NOTE: As stated above - this is the BETA before publishing through Steam. Please feel free to download and test the mod and comment below.
People providing code for changes that will be implemented will get credits in the mod description.

I will download this and give it a try, but I can already see that the unique ability is way too overpowered. I would propose just keeping the two attacks per turn trait (it's the blitz promotion on level 4, I think).

Right, so, some opinions thus far: the unique unit is named Spartan Spartan in game. Which is weird. You could try naming it Heavy Hoplite or Sciritae (not exactly Spartan, but it gets the message across).

Hi Yum, thanks for betatesting.

Spartan Spartan definately sounds daft ;) didn't think about that when naming the unit. I found this entry on the Sciritae and rewrote it slightly - I definitely like this background info and will implement that unit name in the update:

"In war the Sciritae formed an elite corps of light infantry, a lochos (battalion) of about 600 men, which were used as a complement to the civic army. They fought on the extreme-left wing in the battle-line, the most threatening position for the hoplite phalanx: "In this battle the left wing was composed of the Sciritae, who in a Spartan army have always that post to themselves alone".

Or give an extra, strong and unique unit with 2 attacks when completion or Honor Tree.... but a normal one ;)
It looks like to be the very experimented and elited spartan's troops !

Thanks

I will download this and give it a try, but I can already see that the unique ability is way too overpowered. I would propose just keeping the two attacks per turn trait (it's the blitz promotion on level 4, I think).

Right, so, some opinions thus far: the unique unit is named Spartan Spartan in game. Which is weird. You could try naming it Heavy Hoplite or Sciritae (not exactly Spartan, but it gets the message across).

Well, someone might revive this.
(I'm looking at you, JFD.)

More Civs is doing Sparta, right? I mean, right?

But... But that's sounds exactly like JFD!
exactly like it! Exactlyyyyyy!
Mum! The NZlander won't make a mod!
(Not legit, though)

Unfortunately, Moriboe didn't attend the Modders Diplomatic Conference where I staked a claim upon Nri and Flanders. More Civs reaffirmed their claim over Sparta at the conference, though, and violating those terms would risk open war.

I have this vague recollection of JFD possibly saying that maybe he might not want to add any new civs to his already long list. I don't know, perhaps I just dreampt it.

Top Bottom