King of the World #10: Charles de Gaulle

... Huh. By God, you're right! See, THIS is why I hate the OCC Cultural juggernaut. I had NO CLUE that I had leveled the German capitol! Everybody, uh, celebrate, I guess! [party]

The strange this is I recall getting alerts when cities were culturally razed in OCCs... perhaps it's something weird with the 34civ mod, or more likely from you not having BUG.

the limiting factor in an OCC space race is usually production not research
Exactly ..... and putting a 2k hammer project in top ( non rushable, to add ) will not help.

The strange this is I recall getting alerts when cities were culturally razed in OCCs... perhaps it's something weird with the 34civ mod, or more likely from you not having BUG.

Same here. I wonder why Neal doesn't have the alerts...

Exactly ..... and putting a 2k hammer project in top ( non rushable, to add ) will not help.

I have to agree with r_rolo1 now. Don't build the Internet.

No, I don't think you get alerts in a OCC. Maybe they flash up, but they would be pretty easy to miss anyways.

Production and research are both limited in a OCC. Sometimes, you'll wait a long time between being able to build components, but then you'll get a time when you have 6-7 components that you can build, and you can't keep up with them. I think it'd probably be about the same time beelining to the internet as it would teching it out manually.

the limiting factor in an OCC space race is usually production not research

I've never encountered this problem. It's always been research for me. If you need more production, you can workshop over a farm or two.

The internet is half price with copper. It's totally worth it - the AI may even research rocketry by the time you finish it.

Let's find out how long it would take to build the Internet...

Nvm. We need a more recent picture. Neal, can we please ask for a picture of your city?

But for now, lets say he's got 100 hammers (but he probably has a lot more, if not, he could specialize the city so that it produces a lot more hammer), and he's got copper. It would take only 10 turns to build the Internet. IMO, 10 turns is not a lot.

Well, I'm thinking that, if I'm gonna skip the 'Net, I should go for Rocketry right after Plastics, so that I can build the Apollo. Then, I figure hit Superconductors for the Lab, go the Fusion route for parts and the GE, and then just try to get the ship off the ground as quickly as possible and get ready for a fight with Persia and/or China.

That sound good?

Oh, and depending on my Scientist/Engineer ratio, I hover around 300-350 Hammers per turn.

Yes, I do have the Industrial Park up and running. And I just took a closer look. I'm closer to the 200-250 hammer range. The 300-350 was when building military units with the aid of a Military Academy.

You're playing Epic , right ( you should be: turn 400 in Normal speed is far later ... )

In normal speed you would need ( according with BtS Info center ):
  • Apollo (1600 hammers, Double Production Speed w/ Aluminium)
  • 1 cockpit (1000 hammers, Double Production Speed w/ Copper)
  • 1 Docking Bay ( 2000 ,Double Production Speed w/ Aluminium)
  • 1 Life Support ( 1000, Double Production Speed w/ Copper)
  • 1 Stasis Chamber ( 1200, not boosted by resources )
  • 1-5 Thruster(s) ( 1200, Double Production Speed w/ Aluminium)
  • 1-2 Engine(s) ( 1600, not boosted by resources )
  • 1-5 Casing(s) ( 1200, Double Production Speed w/ Aluminium)
All of this with the lab gets a 25% speed boost

For us to calculate the speed we can build the SS, we need to know all the prod modifiers ( since the speed bonus are not multiplicative ) and the base prod... will try to get some hint of that in the screenies. But I assume forge and factory ( can't remember if he has IW.... )....

Anyway, I'll get back to this when I have more solid numbers

He gets +25% forge, +25% factory, +50% hydro power, +50% ironworks and +50% laboratory as standard for space parts.

He doesn't have hydro plants yet, since he's teching Plastics , but he will have it surely before apollo ;) Anyway that is irrelevant without knowing the base prod anyway.

And indeed labs give 50% to SS build... sorry for the mistake

P.S Neal, can you zip/rar the file and divide it in 2 parts , to bypass the the 2 MB per file limit?

A simple enough round.

I began by checking out the ruins of Berlin:

As you can see by the wounded, shocked soldiers milling about, the city must have fallen on the turn I ended the last round. They, of course, eventually wandered off to join their comrades in the fight against Suleiman. Ottomans vs. Otto-man... There can only be one!

I also got roped into a fake war against Gandhi (again, he was getting to be more trouble than he was worth, diplomatically). I think this triggered hostilities from Korea:

Nothing ever really came of it, though.

With Plastics researched, I immediately began on a Hydro Dam. Unfortunately, I was in for a rude surprise regarding Standard Ethanol:

:huh: Huh. I guess we need something to turn into Oil. And nobody will trade me any of them! I even tried making nice with Tokugawa, but he merely sneered at me.

We did get our first colony, as Mao split off his Australian holdings:

Which was confusing on two fronts. First, they were the English, which conflicted with our pissed-off Elizabeth over there on the British Isles. Secondly, the color used was Tokugawa red, which wouldn't be so big of an issue.... If they didn't share a border with a couple of Japanese island cities! And it's not even like there's a red-on-red border. Nope. It just bleeds over! Weird, huh?

In 1840, we finally got that Drydocks Experienced Captain event...

But he'll only build an Academy, which we already have :( Oh, well. I guess +2:gold: per turn it is!

In 1843, Tokugawa was finally willing to play ball:

So I immediately founded Standard Ethanol, upgraded my navy, and pumped out a few Tanks. Who knows how long that deal will last for?

We also were able to buy a Great Spy at a great price thanks to our buddy Bismarck:

He's getting torn apart by Suleiman, and he's sending spies MY way? For shame!

Germany wasn't the only nation having a bad day, though. Korea was getting carved up like Thanksgiving turkey, to the point where Wang Kon was willing to PAY for peace:

He vassalized to Mao shortly thereafter.

In 1850, I earned another Scientist, who quickly settled at Oxford with the rest of them:

As you can see, the Space Race has begun! Oh, and yes, I'm building the Internet. At this point, Fission, Rocketry, and Mass Media are all out there to be had. If I can grab even one of those via Production, I'm gonna do it.

Of course, Mass Media being out there wasn't entirely a good thing:

Hmm, let's see... Person I hate, or person I hate. Such a difficult choice! Ramesses won with a LOT of votes. He's a real threat for a Diplomatic Victory.

Then, in 1857, everything went to hell:

... Okay. A Modern stack showing up was inevitable. I was one turn away from the Internet, so I figured I'd finish it. It would be a near thing, but I felt that I had enough garrisons to knock that stack back.

... Oh.

:eek: *sigh* Well, nothin' worth having is easy.

I immediately switched to Wartime Civics and started pumping out reinforcements as quickly as I could:

I hate to two-pop draft a 30+ size city, but those stacks leave me no choice...

With a deft combination of fortification and sallying forth, I shattered Darius' army and brought him to the bargaining table:

That was one threat down, one to go.

Unfortunately, Ethiopia's stack was, if anything, even bigger than Persia's, and my forces were already tired and weary. Zara refused to offer peace at any price. I sent every able-bodied man and woman capable of firing a gun to the front lines, kissed my children, and took my post at the walls to postpone the inevitable for as long as I could:

We fought bravely, we fought well, but it was all for naught.

The Shining City had fallen into ruin...

... So that's that. Two major empires at the same time was a bit too much to handle. I think it was my hamfisted diplomacy that doomed us, even more than our less-than-huge standing army. This was my first time playing an OCC, and it presents a lot of unique challenges. One of the bigger ones is the fact that you will NEVER be able to handle diplomatic negotiations from a position of strength.

I think Paris falling to Zara Yaqob is a fitting end to this game, but if the hue and cry is loud enough, I suppose I could try for an "alternate history" before moving on. What do you all think?

Ahh... At least you tried.;) Lincoln is waiting for you. It's just sad that it's the first KOTW defeat.:( As I said, you tried. I knew an OCC as France was a bad idea. You can try again for alternative history, though. Oh, and Zara is mad in my games. He just declared war on the world in one of the maps. Surprising to say, he had a HUGE HUGE HUGE! Stack towards America, Babylon, and Persia. Destroying all but America, who capitulated.

Yeah, a little greedy on the victory condition. You really need to build up more modern forces before you build your spaceship stuff. Robotics after Computers really is the way to go.

Top Bottom