King of the World #10: Charles de Gaulle

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, but I feel like the occasional loss keeps me honest. And I don't think that I could have staved off those stacks even with dedicated military builds from turn one of the round. So I'm leaning towards moving on. I dunno.

No, no, no, no!!!!! Just ask for 10 gold from Zara for 10 turns of peace! Please don't quit!!!!

Just kidding, or somewhat kidding. A waste of effort it would be to just move on, but if you must move on, move on. :cry:

I suppose that is what you get for whomping Zara right off the bat in the Shaka game :lol:

Regarding Giggles from one of your last posts... I've had two games now since that post where he constantly offered me outdated techs for bargain prices despite being cautious toward me. I think that must be his personality :confused:

Anyway, yeah I'd vote for at least one stab at alternate history. If it fails then just move on, don't even bother posting it.

I vote redo if you can find some way to indirectly hold off the stacks. Defensive pact, pre-war peace treaty, bribing in a war ally... something like that.

I dunno, in my games if I lose and I feel it could have been avoided easily enough, I'll usually learn from the loss but then replay to see if I could do better. One time I actually turned the clock back all the way from future to the medieval area to see if I could do better if I tried a different strategy. :lol:

Well, that's too bad. I guess a victorious OCC either needs more unit-building, or more skillful diplomacy. It seems like there may actually be synergies between a more war-centered OCC and a strong economy, given that settled GGs give science under representation. I've been watching this game and constantly thinking "he needs to build more units", and each time you successfully staved off an invasion, I've been impressed. I guess the lack of unit-building finally came back to bite you.

I'd like to see some alternative history, seems like this could be averted.

All right. I'm gonna make one try at an alternate history sometime this weekend. But this one sticks. If we die, we die :)

So I'm thinking the big thing will be to pump out military when I've got nothing better to do, rather than building Research to knock a turn or two off my tech pace. I figure, from 1806, it'd be another 15 or so units which, I must admit, is significant. Given that we know that the hammer will be coming down, what should those units be, based on the garrison screenshot from the end of Round 8? 5 Artillery, 5 Marines, 5 Tanks? 15 Infantry? They can't all be Tanks, due to the delays inherent in getting oil, but at least some of them can.

It's a shame, it's your call whether you move on or not, I'ld like to see an alternate ending to this though.

I think bombers can save the day here, striking causes collateral, and you don't lose any while you're doing it since there's no SAM-inf around, which is a huge advantage over artillery. You can hit either stack with massive collateral if you trade for flight after founding stardard ethanol. Four turns getting hit by 8 bombers will usually reduce any stack to a pitiful group of units desperately in need of medical assistance. It might even be possible to grab the internet as well, since you'll only lose 9 build turns (1 for an airport, 8 for bombers).

Bombers are kind of out of the question. If I were to research Flight, it would be on my own (NOBODY had Flight as of my death in 1866), and I don't think we have time for it.

With all the random numbers that go into an AI's declaration of war, don't be surprised if the war trumpets blare at a different time, or even at all. They could be planning it and it'll occur on the same turn, but you can't be sure.

At any rate, building units instead of research is a good idea, probably something you should've been doing at the start. Machine guns are probably something to build, looking at all the artillery that came your way.

Well, time to start thinking of the next game aye? I personally vote for an Espionage Economy game as Suleiman... :D

Go go go!

Why the problem with oil, you've a corn resource?? Standard Ethanol should be stand alone.

Anyway, in my shadow game, since your's in ended, I made it as far as the last part, can't remember which one.

I DEFENDED from a fort on the Hill next to the mountain chain. I actually built 2 forts, so any attacking stack would have to go alone the the level ground between the mountains. Stack in a few planes, Guerrilla 3 troops.

Diplomacy was completely different, Gandhi and Mao were the 2 biggies in mine, Gandhi actually started to beat up on Mao, who tried to call a U.N. Ceasefire, and was denied by Gandhi.

I lost or resigned in end, because I couldn't tech/build and arrive in time to beat Gandhi's Cultural Victory, and I believe he wasn't even actually trying for that victory condition.

I launched an attack way too late on Gandhi, who surprisingly had numerous defenders in a back cultural city, 1 OFF THE COAST. I landed, attacked and was wiped out by Artillery, I should have launched an attack 30 turns earlier, when I realized Culture would beat my tech.

Neil FORWARD defense with Planes, use Rails to move troops, harass, destroy, and kow toe

I'd build a Fort with the foreknowledge, then add railroads everywhere to make it easier. Put a bunch of Machineguns and Artillery in said fort, then wait for the stacks to suicide.

If you do do alternate history, I'd like to try to see you bribe Zara into war on your side instead of him getting bribed by Darius (which is what I suspect happened).

Machine guns. They kill infantry and don't suffer collateral from artillery. Honestly, I don't think you're going to hold off a stack of 10 CR2/3 artillery given what you have.

me personally, I would of been an . .. .. .. .. .. .. ., gone to world builder and deleted my city rather then leaving it in the hands of Zara.

Top Bottom