King of the World #12: Sitting Bull

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, May 12, 2009.

1. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I'm certainly still interested. I catch myself checking up on this thread sometimes even than 3 or 4 times a day.

All I want is for you to update a little more often!

2. JammerUno

JammerUno King

I'm still interested, it's simply that at some point the KotW games are less about choosing strategy, and more about executing strategy, at that point the only comment I can think of is a heartily 'well done sir'.

3. nbcman

nbcman King

I'll echo the chorus that we are still interested. I normally play smaller maps and don't have the cross-continental slug fests that you are involved in now. Can't give much advice other than is it possible to bribe Hannibal or Shaka into war with Babylon to take off some pressure on you?

4. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

D'OH. That's my bad. I'm thinking BANKING and not Corporation in this case.

I love to follow these threads, and though I'm just now moving into Emperor level I like to chime in (even when I mix things up - see above). I feel that I'm learning a lot and the thread itself is very entertaining. I find myself checking this and Lord Parkin's continuation of the ALC series all the time (and missing MadScientist's efforts as well). Real life dictates the pace of each of these threads, and we all understand that there has to be time in between the installments, but I guess with larger gaps the conversation level can peter out a bit.

I appreciate the time and effort involved as I'm sure everyone does. I also like that you're mixing things up of late and subtracting/adding civs in different places. Well done and I hope you continue onward.

5. Mansa Musa

Mansa Musa Warlord

:I'm a lurker and i'm impressed that you destroyed that Defensive Pact between Babylonia and Ethiopia by using Ethiopia's avarice against Zululand. Impressive, most impressive

6. The Dark One

The Dark One Settled Priest

And another ditto from me. I tend to kind-of-shadow your games on Noble; just finished an Isabella game, but blow me if Monty didn't pick Christianity, so I had to sail across the ocean to convert him, and everyone else in the world, to Judaism! It ended with sending a sixty unit stack to Kyoto to punish Mr Grumpy for voting against me in the UN. Vassaled him and won UN victory in 1820-something. So I think it's time for me to move up a level. My point being, it's thanks to you and the other sages on KotW. So please keep going :)

7. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

As long you as you maintain your enthusiasm for this great enterprise, I'm sure all of us will find enthusiasm to match!

8. ConsoleCowboy

ConsoleCowboy Chieftain

I am a HUGE fan of the series and check the site more than once per day.
    Now back to the game: I am concerned that since Babylon is so far spread out, chasing Ham from city to city could leave you "overstreched", most of all culturally. I would try to cosolidate a connected cohesive patch of land and attack whoever is necessary to get it. So maybe taking africa first would not have been so painful like taking europe - but what's done is done. Now you can't do else but take out Ham ASAP and then turn to Just+Friends.

9. Shoot the Moon

Shoot the Moon Playing World in Conflict

First off, I'm still interested.

I think though that it seems like most civ games reach a point where you're in a clear position to win and just have to go about achieving the victory in whatever way you choose. As we approach that point where we've in essence already won, but haven't yet officially, I think you'll naturally see the discussion fall off a bit. It's not that i have any less interest in the game, it's just there's not much discussion that needs to take place (and your a much better warmongoer than I am anyway).

10. ConsoleCowboy

ConsoleCowboy Chieftain

@Shoot the Moon: I think so too. But this game isn't won at all! Neal dominates America, but his competition is strong, culturally overlapping, science SOTA and already into into the vassalizing-game. They have an advantage in logistics and will always bring friends. While I don't see an Invasion of the americas no where near, Neals effords for domination could be futile, if his conquered cities keep flipping, other powers join the war with their vassals or if his war machine loses momentum too fast. While not "losing" anything at home, he will spend his production and money for an endless war with no real prize. That happens often at Immortal to me.
    So I think, this is one of the most interesting games of the series - Xerxes and others were, as you described, already decided long before Gunpowder.

11. Neal

Neal King of the World

All right, all right. You all have won me back over :)

But this war with Babylon is hell. Hammurabi's counteroffensives just keep coming. I'd be interested to see what some shadowers can do with the save.

12. Kwibuss

Kwibuss Warlord

Oh noes! Neal needs help! Somebody get us a Deity player! :D

13. ConsoleCowboy

ConsoleCowboy Chieftain

Neal, I know this might sound a bit *basic-ish* but since you are waging a land war, keep in mind that you need to win an attrition battle. My strategy would be to ignore his seaports and go for his mainland cities first. The Computer always builds ships - and every ship he builds is a land unit you don't have to battle. OR: Sneak behind his fortified cities behind the front (usually only slightly defended). The best way to do it is by ship. So you can surround the enemy (dangerous - you never know where his stack will go - usually nearest/biggest city) and cut him off resources.
    Read Sun-Tzu's Art of War. Should be included in Civ Manual anyways :)

14. Matthew5117

Matthew5117 Emperor

Maybe instead of making a massive navy, why don't you just take out the coastal cities that Hammurabi has to prevent him making any more ships. Sounds like an idea.

Also, maybe you can trade for Military Tradition, because, as you know, you have Rifling and that means Calvary. Calvary are very quick so you can take out the coastal cities quickly. More, Calvary can flank Seige units which is awesome.

Two questions:

Can you bring any allies in the war to weaken Hammurabi and other people you are going to wage war with? No only with this help you possibly in the war, you will also get diplomatic relations (not that they matter by this time :lol:).

How far are you from flight? This will give you a huge advantage, for two reasons, airports (must I need to explain?) and planes, especially Jet Fighters which Flight gets you in the direction. My point being, I think you should beeline Flight right now.

15. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

The title say's it all, its Thursday, that and that both Charlemagne and Ragnar, are both VOLUNTARY VASSALS of Justinian. (they both don't have the 'Free at x% labels')

But unfortunately, Justinian, is in love with the Buddhist factions all over the world.

Only thing I can see, is to get Gilgamesh into war with Justinian, and invite in Mr Surry to fight with them as well.

Not much help I know, Pushing through Hammurabi, all the way into India, somehow, you've got to Get Mr Surry, to attack the Ottomans holding in India, and then you push into Him as well, Europe seems to be a lost cause to me.

Only other way is to beeline Flight/ Industrialism, Hold a Massive tank spam, and roll through the Holy Roman's. Really, you should look at a Composites Beeline, Modern Armour, and Robotics for Mech Infantry, Advanced flight for Jets. Go the Full Military option.

Things to Note, Shaka's forced Zara to Vassal to Hannibal.:wow:

Mr Surry is Universally hated. :p

Gilgamesh, Hates Justinian, and Vise Versa, mutual loathing to a certain extent.

Push through Hammy baby, into India, Invite Mr Surry, to take out Ottoman city in India, and take it for yourself.

Justinian, has 2 Voluntary vassals, if you really want, hit him hard, break them off, but it'd take a build up of troops, and airports all over to fly in new troops, transports won't get them in time.

Further thing, Hannibal's taken on Gilgamesh as a vassal, and he's captured the Jewish holy city in Amsterdam.

Hopefully he'll convert to Judaism, fall out with Justinian and start a massive war in Europe, between he's vassals Zara Gilgamesh and himself V's Justinian, Suleiman, and 2 Voluntary vassals in Ragnar and Charlie boy.

Why are you in Hereditary Rule and Caste System?? why not Representation or Universal sufferage and Emancipation?? (look I'm a huge fan of caste system)

Why haven't you just Bulldozed the towns etc and put up workshops/Watermills if staying in caste system. Raze those towns, put up farms, workshops, go into Rep, hammer out an army and raze some hell.

1st, Civics and adjust home buildings to suit.
    2nd Flight= Airports=Universal suffrage for rush buying.
    3rd Push through the Babylonian, into India, do you want vassals??
    4th Utilize STATE PROPERTY. Doze those towns (boo cottages :vomit:) work shops, watermills.
    5th Build up an assault force of Tanks, and Crush Justinian once and for all.

Oh yeah, spam cities all over Alaska, to grab the resources oil/ gold/ silver/ deer/ Beaver Hmm beaver....Aaaarrrggghhh.....

Just lastly, adjust homelands to civics.

P.S. Thanks for this series, love it, takes a lot of guts to put it out there, even more to write it up and accept advice from lessors. :rolleyes:

16. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

Just to add more rubbish to the pile, why not consider a conversion to Judaism, and join in with Hannibal, in dog piling into Justinian, long term I know, but..

lastly, Hannibal in in WHEOOHRN mode, Probably Shaka I'd say, but who knows.

:p, it doesn't look like Shaka, I'd say he wants all the Iberian Peninsula.

17. Shoot the Moon

Shoot the Moon Playing World in Conflict

I wasn't intending to say that this game was totally won, but I'd say within the next round or two it will be. I wasn't saying that it is currently won, but that he should expect a bit of a drop off in posts as we approach that state.

18. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

If you can manage it to end this game then it is going to be big fun. Huge wars ahead. I would go indeed for the land cities first since the AI will build a lot of ships in port cities indeed. Tech to assembly line as soon as possible if you ask me.

19. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

I will certainly watch every post till this game ends.
    However what is there to discuss? You do not want to scapegoat out to a spacerace, so domination/conquest it is. The former is the most likely.

Now the exact declaration/tech pattern/troop movement is up to you :).
    GO GET THEM BOY!

20. Neal

Neal King of the World

All right, all right. I'm about halfway through the round. I'll try to get it posted tomorrow. There's just so much going on in this game that every round seems to take 4 hours to play (plus another two to write up!)