1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #14: Earth18

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

I agree. I'd much rather see an exiting war on the Aztec's part than a do nothing round as the Incans. Besides, with how you're controlling the Inca's research in the previous round, you were practically playing as the Inca yourself.

2. radiofreestl

radiofreestl Warlord

As awesome as this game has been to lurk, I think you may be running out of time to win the game (and not just because of the KOTW's newfound proclivity for Sims 3).

Maybe after you play HC, you should leap into the non-Neal leader with the highest score and play him/her out the rest of the game? We all want to see you triumphant, and even on Noble, taking control of a bewildered AI and beating down Qin in the end will still be a formidable challenge given the way this game has played out.

3. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Excellent round in teaching teh Aztecs some civilization. A few comments

1) Please sen Gneghis my way for instructions on the proper way to play as the Mongols on an earth map! :devil:

2) Regarding the war with Roman, you are Montezuma and entitled to getting involved in stupid wars. In fact, it should have been a requirement.

3) As Hyuna, Just play to keep the nation intact. You always knew the Incans were a deadend civilization by this point. And keep the vassalage if you can.

4) I would seriously consider playing Roosevelt as the second to last leader and try to win as the Russians. You would have a better chance than being a stupid vassal of the Aztecs for eternity.

4. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

My position remains unchanged: play the position you're given as best you can, as you would if you were going to play out the rest of the game as that Civ.

Personally, I don't care if you "win" or not: that wasn't so much the point of this game, was it? It was to see what you could do with each Civ in the 40 turns allotted.

5. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

As long as Qin dies in the end, I'm fine.

6. IAM

IAM Emperor

Inca, yea play them but not just a turn end round. They are not in position to win so... How about break vassalage take those Mali South American cities and then retreat back into the always loving arms of Monty? This game has been fun but the end players don't seem to be in winable positions.

Side note: How about an Earth 2 map. It's familiar enough for the emotional geographical attachment but unique enough (Iberian Peninsula could be an island etc.) for an original run at the world.

7. Neal

Neal King of the World

Regarding the Inca... Well, seeing as how we're Monty's vassal, I don't think it's a black-and-white choice between a war as the Aztecs or "doing nothing" as Huayna. After all, we, too, are now locked into a war with Rome. Maybe we make a play for the Roman city in South America... Then, perhaps, break vassalage and try to make South America an Incan continent. After all, even though most of Monty's stack is currently south of the equator, he wouldn't be able to reinforce from the mainland...

8. madscientist

SO break vassalage with Monty, take the Roman city, and launch a sneak backstabbing armada against the Zatec west coast while relying on the Andes for protection of the Incan homeland????

I would love to see that if you can pull it off. It certainly would NOT be boring!

9. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

This could become a Genghis Khan part 2 :lol:

10. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

Ghengis2... except without a useful UU, fewer cities to build an army with, and the requirement to ship whatever army you can muster by boat to inner-South America.

I like it :goodjob::goodjob:

11. madscientist

I am not sure it's Ghengis 2. Qin is smarter than Monty. Hyuna has a very defenseable core, accessible only from the sea. Monty is hated so it's less likely Hyuna get's dogpiled. Also Hyuna is a tech parity, something the Khan was not.

Frankly I think Neal ha a good shot at damaging the Aztec nation. My issue would be that 40 turns is not enough to destroy Monty enough to break Roosevelt loose.

PS: Neal, a snapshot of the tech situation would help here.

12. Mittens

Mittens Chieftain

yeah, seems like it. Just posting to say excellent series/game!

13. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

If you wanted to take SA, Monty depends on you for research, and you left most of South America unimproved and under-protected (Sao Paulo the notable exception, with a modest stack hanging around). Monty has no way to ship reinforcements from his core (or, hell, even attack once you've driven him across Panama., so it really comes down to mustering up an army to stand up to the São Paulo stack. Then again, with the AI, it will probably be dissected and each unit will be sent to fortify a different city, or, if you hit the jackpot, a suicide attempt at the Roman stronghold in Argentina.

If you ask me, you've got a damn awesome chance to turn Huyana into a space competitor.

ALSO: Due to the glitches in the AI, it is physically impossible to lose anything other than the useless Honolulu city. You will either end up better off than when you started, or the same position, except maybe with a fake war going on.

14. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

Neal, fantastic round you just played, you jumped 700 points to be second on the score chart. An interesting idea i had, everyone wants to see your aztec successes pay off, but you are reluctant to play as them. So why don't you play the next two rounds as his vassals and help ol' monty out by feeding him techs. I've always wondered if vassals can be a big help to their masters, this is your chance to test out if they can!

15. IAM

IAM Emperor

That may be interesting. A complete self-sacrificing play. You could even take that Roman city and hand it over to Monty. In life if you have two paths to choose pick the one with the more interesting story. :)

16. Kietharr

Kietharr Prince

You've even more completely doomed the Inca by settling the amazon as montezuma. Without that potential for expansion there can be no lategame recovery. Try to take Bantu (monty will send 10 billion soldiers to kill it doubtlessly, just keep a few units nearby to try and snake it away from him), that's about as good as it's going to get for poor Huyana.

Maybe try to colonize some more Polynesian islands, as a financial leader once you throw a lighthouse and a courthouse down they pretty much pay for themselves with the 2f/3c coast tiles. Get harbors and customs houses, adopt free religion to normalize relations with the world and you could get a decent trade based economy running with free market.

17. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

As the inca a possible option could be australian colonisation.

Usually its fairly empty at this point so you could send some settlers and workers over there and set up New Incaland. This should somewhat free Huayna from his morbid fascination with mountains and tiny almost worthless islands and allow him to improve somewhat in regards to the rest of the world (and be free of the green cannibalistic aztec monster). And it might lead to an australian transferral of power later.

---

BTW great job with monty. He is now finally the monster he deserves to be.

18. Neal

Neal King of the World

Neal glanced around, quickly. He smelled crisp mountain air, and saw Longbowmen standing at the ready at the gates. The distant ocean seen through the windows also supported the King of the World's suspicions. And the Aztec emissary, ticking off the resource gifts that were being rescinded, cinched it.

"Inca. Damn."

Neal was getting tired of being behind the technological curve. He wanted air conditioning, dammit! He wanted the opportunity to crack open a cold beer that hadn't been chilled in a glacier or whatever, but in an honest refrigerator. He wanted to kick back on a sofa and watch some ESPN. At the very least, he wanted an army that he could do some genuine damage with. This stretch of bumpkins was getting old.

Not much could be done, though. He went to roll up his sleeves, realized that he wasn't wearing any, sighed, and went to work. His first task was trying to clamber back to tech parity. The Aztecs, once their own Scientific Revolution got rolling, quickly left the primitive Inca discoveries in the dust. If Neal was going to command some respect, he would need Rifling. But no-one that had it was willing to trade it. Not even the big Aztec cheese himself. Neal made do swapping with Roosevelt for Scientific Method:

Short-term, it would hurt. But short-term, the Inca were screwed, anyway. May as well do what we can to set them up for the long term.

Then it was time to start trimming the empire's fat. For as disadvantaged an emperor as Huayna Capac was, he sure wasted a lot of resources. Neal immediately slashed the budget. Ollantaytambo, for instance, a minor settlement on a tiny island in the south Pacific, was equipped with a Worker!

What was he going to do? Go swimming? Needless to say, he was given the rest of the game off. Neal also disbanded a number of the useless Caravels puttering about the seven seas. Exploration is done, and that, really, is all Caravels are good for.

As Neal did what he could to turn around the map's most unfortunate people, his previous failures met bad ends:

Maybe siding with Rome wasn't the best move there, Genghis.

Neal slept fitfully that night, terrified at the prospect of a "failed incarnate's" death triggering the end of the world. In the morning, the Cuzco sun glinted in through the windows and the now-familiar scent of quinoa and sweet potato wafted in from the kitchen. It was just another day. What the hell, Scott Bakula? Of course, it wasn't completely without news. China had assimilated all of Mongolia, and had acquired a massive boost to its Musketmen, besides. Old Qin will be a tough, tough nut to crack in this game.

Neal did his best to establish a mainland South American presence with Punta Arenas:

The city, with its hills and access to Whale migration routes, would be a profitable city in the short term. It may not account for much in the long term, but it will never be a drag on the empire, and that's about all that we can ask right now.

In 1798, after years of slowly re-establishing his gifts to the Inca people (why does the AI do that, anyway? And does it do it when the vassal isn't a player?), Monty stepped up with a big present:

Rifling would have been more helpful, but any tech (except maybe Divine Right) was worth accepting.

The new ideas flowing through Inca society brought with them the winds of revolution:

Free Religion and Free Market. Hopefully those would balance the loss of Monastery science and, perhaps, win us a bit of international good will.

Of course, the kind and benificent Montezuma wasn't always necessarily kind or benificent:

We were getting enough resources in return that Neal decided to acquiesce. I actually tried war with Monty. It didn't work out so well. The Aztecs apparently had a few boats' worth of troops headed overseas that the big kahuna was more than willing to turn around and land in our supposedly impenetrable cocoon. I think I was able to take Puerto Aisen before our military was utterly exhausted, at which point the losses began.

Anyway, you can also see in that screenshot that Montezuma succeeded in driving Caesar from the New World. At the same time, Rome's central Asian colonies were being stripped away by China. Julie had a good run, but it looks like he's back to Fortress Europa. And he doesn't even have all of that.

So, long story short, it was worth keeping the Aztecs happy:

We got Rifling a bit later than I would have liked it, but, hey. Six turns of free research is six turns of free research. It may have been entirely due to the charity of our betters, but we were clambering back into the tech race.

We even made a few trades:

Of course, for Persia to go this long without the ability to build Cavalry is unconscionable. But who am I to judge?

Resistencia was founded to fill in Monty's South American gaps before he could beat us to them:

At this point, it's a better city than we could found elsewhere.

As you can see, the American bloc had made peace with Rome and was now doing battle with the British. Seeing an opportunity, Neal sent a Galleon of Riflemen off to take Iceland. Or Greenland. Or whatever that weird protrusion from the Arctic Ice is:

As you can probably see, the expedition was doomed from the start. Apparently, the Age of Rifles was over in Europe before it even really began in the New World.

As reports filed in of the massacre against the English, Neal moved his Palace from Cuzco:

If we're going to be running Bureaucracy, I'd rather it beef up a city that can profit from it.

Monty had one more gift before we said sayonara to South America:

Yeah. The fact that we're accepting gifts like that from the Aztecs means that, well, we're still not exactly titans on the global scene. Ah, well. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Especially if you don't have Pigs or Silk in your borders.

Here's a look at the empire as I wrapped up:

The process of relocation had become old hat by now. Neal took one last walk around his capitol, shook hands with his closest advisors, had a few drinks, and went to bed early.

The next morning he woke up to the sounds of horse-drawn carriages clopping down cobblestone streets. He awoke among sumptuous sheets with tea and scones on a silver beside tray. And the lamp next to him... It held an honest-to-God lightbulb! Neal leapt out of bed and raced out of the room, nodding to the mortified Infantrymen outside his door (Very nice, he thought). Upon seeing the soldier's embarassment, Neal stopped, noticing for the first time that he was wearing little more than a sheer nightgown. And, for the first time since he roamed the desert sands as the Jackal Queen, he had boobs. Life was good, indeed.

As the English, we have a small empire, but a defensible one. All of our cities are on the Island of Great Britain and that weird little Arctic spur. We are scientifically advanced:

But we lack Oil to make full use of our technological advantages. So, what do we do? After a boring few rounds as the Mongols, Mali, Aztecs, and Incas, I'm in the mood for a war. We can definitely take out the French Irish (and spare us the indignity of that particular round), but I was thinking about maybe being a bit more bold. Paris looks awfully juicy, there, doesn't it? Rome is already reeling after its war with China. Perhaps we could do our part to complete the fall of Rome and enact the coming of Pax Brittanica. And now that we know that Civs can be completely wiped out...

The save:

19. Rubbaduck

Rubbaduck Artificial waterfowl

So... Apart from the English we still have Japan, Germany, America, France and Russia to go... Toku, Louis and Roosy are most likely lost causes, but I think Germany, Russia and England can very effectively bring down Rome. Qin will be a tougher nut to crack, you can probably a million wars against him before the Russian segment but then winning will be a bigger problem :/

I guess if the situation calls for it you could cheese out and go win as Qin.

20. madscientist

England needs to expand. Time to take as much, if not all of Europe as you can.