1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #15 Final Poll

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Nov 18, 2009.

?

And the winner is...

1. Ice Age

34 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. Rhye's and Fall

28 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. Empty Old World

43 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. Deity Rome

20 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Neal

Neal King of the World

My sincerest apologies to anyone offended by my posting two polls on the same subject, but there were enough split votes and controversy in the last thread that I figured I'd run another to get a better picture of the people's will. I've cut things down to the final four candidates:

Ice Age- A departure from the Earth18 map, this would run the Earth-Ice Age scenario, with random Civs and starting points.

Rhye's and Fall- I know next to nothing about this scenario, but I've heard good things, and what better way to learn than with the help of the hivemind?

Full Americas versus Empty Old World- We'd be, say, Roosevelt, dealing with the Aztecs, Incas, Mayans, and Native Americans. If we can survive all that, we'll have a climactic showdown with the Mongols, who will have free reign over Eurasia.

Rome on Deity- Bog-standard Earth18, but on Deity, with Rome. I figure this is my last real excuse to pull out the "easy mode" Praetorians. And this is the most "normal" challenge of the bunch.

So, I am re-opening the polls. Sometime this weekend, I'll try to get the next game on the road! (Assuming we start with The Wheel, of course)

2. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

I'm going to go ahead and say It'll be a three way race between Empty Old World, Ice Age and Rhye's, with either Empty Old World or Ice Age winning because the people who want a traditional game will end up flooding those categories.

Voted for Rhye's, though. Seems like the most fun.

3. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

I voted Empty Old World, but I'd be happy with anything that wasn't Rhye's. RFC is such a fundamentally different game that the strategies and techniques it requires are nothing like those of standard BTS.

(now if someone wanted to do a specific "RFC series" of games, I'd be interested. I just don't care for it as a one-off aberration in KotW)

4. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Again, I voted Ice-Age map.

5. Tracnar

Tracnar Warlord

I vote Empty Old World, shake things up a little bit. Who and Where the Civs will start i assume will be discussed?

Why?
    You should not do Rhye's in a KotW before you play a few offline games with it, depending on the civ things could be lost very early and stability is tough when switching from regular Civ

Ice Age would be nice but random starts don't sit too well with me on earth maps

Rome would be a fun game, but the other options will get out weighed, maybe next time?

6. Raizer

Raizer Chieftain

Voted Ice Age again.

I have to say, I don't really like the RFC gameplay much. I know a lot of people think it's fun, and I can see why they might, but personally I think the game is kind of spontaneous and chaotic: new civs sprouting up in the middle of the game, the whole "stability" concept, the vastly different historical victory goals, etc.

The New World/Old World seems popular and I can imagine it would make for a great story, but it just seems too manually modified, in my opinion.

Regardless of what the game is, I'm sure it will be good and look forward to seeing it.

7. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

I went with new world/old world.

As many have said, RFC could be a fun possibility, but I'd rather you become more familiar with it before you make the switch.

Plus the possibility of seeing what Khan (or the Barbs) could do with all that land is too good to pass up.

8. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Voted Rhye's again.

As Raizer said Rhyes is a whole different kettle of fish than normal civ, and some people like it while others don;t, but i think the spontaneity and the newness of it, while all the while still fitting into the onus of a true earth map with all the civs in their proper place, is the best option. The civs popping up all the other things add a whole new dimension and challenge. I think it is a good test of seeing how a normal civ player can adapt to a new situation thus seeing how good they really are. A good challenge is whats needed once in a while. So i think neal should take the plunge and see what happens.

Its unique but still fits in with the original goal of the series.

9. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

RFC is too different for your series. I voted Empty Old World.

10. BarrageQueen

BarrageQueen Warlord

Stick with the Romans on deity.

The KotW series belongs on the E18 map in my view. So as such, the empty old world is my back-up vote, but by some distance. The last run was zany enough. Let's go back to the basics.

11. weekend_warrior

weekend_warrior Warlord

Ice Age. I've never played through an entire ice age game. Empty old world would get my 2nd place vote.

12. Shafi

Shafi King

Romans on Diety - Preats Rock :goodjob:

Bah - I see i'm in the minority again :mad:

13. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

Voted Ice age, really want to see how this map works out.

14. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Voted Ice Age again but the real answer is anything but Rhye's. The scenario is simply unplayable unless you go for a UHV and there is no fun in that for an online game. Too bad. The idea had potential but the whole stability concept simply ruined it.

15. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

That's why I play my RFC with softened stability. And no plague.

16. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Well it looks like a two horse race between Ice age and unnervingly empty old world. Rhye's would be interesting but it appears the majority prefer a more normal game in terms of game play.

---

Just a thought though, after KotW 15 is done it would be good to restore a more normal historical start, era oriented game. Id personally like to see agame played as Babylon or Sumer. Surrounded by Greeks, Persians, Egyptians and possibly arabs (depending on how much one is willing to bend the rules) that would be an interesting situation to play.

---

Also If the full america game is chosen, favour the native civs and the colonising powers. Portuguese in Brazil, Spain in Argentina and French in Quebec for example. In the old world maybe adding a third civ in australia would be a nice option. Maybe the Dutch. It is an island and it was colonisation territory like the New World.

17. IAM

IAM Emperor

#1 Old World empty

#2 Romans on Diety would be fun.

18. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

RFC. just to A see how Neal deals with the 'realistic' features, and laugh as how he writes about it. I wouldnt mind any of them though tbh.

19. Rubbaduck

Rubbaduck Artificial waterfowl

A thing to notice about the Ice Age option is that you should get someone to generate the map to avoid a too hard or too easy map.

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Neal, when you are talking of the Ice age map, are you talking of the vanilla Ice age map or of the BtS Ice age map? The are not the same, you know.... the vanilla is a blank, where you can choose any civ with any leader and start anywhere in the map, but the BtS one has defined leaders ( thus civs as well ) and has preset starting spots, in a similar fashion to the stock Earth_18civs map compared with the Earth map.